Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Gold Pan

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    U.P. Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro
    122 times
    Metal Detecting

Gold Pan

What gold Pan would you recommend for a beginner ?

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2803 times
    Prospecting
    Just about any 12" pan that has a broad bottom. There is no real magic from pan to pan so long as you learn how to pan properly. Smaller pans are easier to handle but are usually used for cleanup purposes of relatively small quantities of concentrates...you actually can't go wrong with one of them either but you will run less material at a time so probably less in a day and the key is to process as much material as possible.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:15 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Feb 2014
    2073 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Potts likes this.
    Never confuse motion with progress

Illegitimi non carborundum

us
    Mar 2018
    Northern CA
    White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
    155 times
    Prospecting
    Here is a great video for beginners:
    Potts and RTD-Tech like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    2260 times
    And the pan in the pic (of the video) looks like a generic green plastic pan that you should be able to buy for a dollar or two is a great pan.
    Potts likes this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1311 times
    Garrett kit with 14" and 10" and classifier. ~$40.

And once you get the "fever," Gold Hog Flow Pan.
    Potts likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1889 times
    Prospecting
    Garrett Super Sluice pan is awesome and almost indestructible and super fast. "Ain't no gold getting past those riffles!"
    Avoid the flimsy cheap knock offs. Do the flex test. If it flexes and warps it fails. Those are only good for holding Halloween candy or watering plants at home and you dont need mining equipment that will blow away in the wind or fold in half inside your pack.
    A Super Sluice will hold up for years. I've even shoveled with mine!
    I think they come as a 15" in the Garrett starter kits mentioned above. The kit is really nice for a beginner in my opinion and has what ya need and quality tools to start with, cept maybe the tweezer/magnifying glass combo thing.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Jan 30, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
    KevinInColorado and Potts like this.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    685 times
    Prospecting
    I learned on a 12 inch steel pan, they work just fine, my favorites are the estwing steel pans with the ribs in the rim. If plastic is the way you like to go the Garret Super Sluice pan is a good plastic one. Dont forget a snuffer bottle!
    Last edited by N-Lionberger; Jan 30, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
    63bkpkr and Potts like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1889 times
    Prospecting
    I've never tried an Estwing pan but I've eyed them in hardware stores when I've seen them.
    Id swear by every Estwing tool I've ever owned and my dad was a bricklayer, so been around plenty of Estwing hand tools in my life. Never been disappointed. I'm sure it would work well and it's a stiff sturdy pan. I'll have to pick one up next time and give it a swirl and I think they were around $11, somewhere in that range.
    I've only ever purchased two pans in my life, both of them a Super Sluice but I could see having an Estwing steel pan for sure. Cant go wrong there.
    I've handled a few crappy pans and I can see why guys have trouble panning with them. If the pan is creasing in half with a handful of material in it that's a problem haha.
    Plastic would seem a little warmer to the fingers in the creeks that I'm in up here than a steel pan and I like the big bottom and gnarly riffles on the Garrett so much. You can get really aggressive with alot of material in it and it catches the goods.
    I'd have to admit the Estwing would look bad azz tied on a mule tho.
    Potts likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jim Bowers

Mar 2013
    Hendricksville Indiana
    475 times
    Prospecting
    I like a 10.5" blue Pioneer pan due to the arthritis in my hands. Blue allows the gold to show up easier for me.
    63bkpkr, ratled and Potts like this.

us
    Nov 2014
    Northern California
    White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
    462 times
    Prospecting
    I really like the 14" Garret Acentric pan. Its the same size as a regular 14" garret pan but the bottom is 33% larger and its a lot easier for me at least to get down to black sand and gold quickly.
    N-Lionberger and Potts like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    8895 times
    ANY pan will work....Loooong before "these" fancy pans came about.The old timers used anything they could get their hands on.It aint rocket science
    GOLD IS HEAVY !!! Its more about technique

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    685 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah the steel can be cold in the winter weather I typically carry my super sluice in the wintertime or when I am operating my detector, steel mostly in the summer.
    Potts likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10420 times
    Prospecting
    The proline professional mentioned above or the Garrett Supersluice. A wide bottom is key. As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    487 times
    Prospecting
    My first pan was the 14" Garrett from one of the garrett kits mentioned above, I have really liked it, I think it's quality. BUT, I told one of my friends to buy it this year and it seems like it's a different deal now. It came with this new "acentric" pan that was mentioned above also. It does have a nice big bottom but the fact that the bottom is slighty offset from center threw me off but the biggest ding was that it didn't feel near as sturdy as my pan. It felt rather thin and flimsy actually. I like the look of the proline pans but I know my next pan will be a Garrett supersluice, it will defenitely be too big for a beginner but like Kevin said, just don't fill it up all the way and you'll eventually grow into it.
    KevinInColorado, Potts and et1955 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links