Gold Pan

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just about any 12" pan that has a broad bottom. There is no real magic from pan to pan so long as you learn how to pan properly. Smaller pans are easier to handle but are usually used for cleanup purposes of relatively small quantities of concentrates...you actually can't go wrong with one of them either but you will run less material at a time so probably less in a day and the key is to process as much material as possible.

Last edited:

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a great video for beginners:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
And the pan in the pic (of the video) looks like a generic green plastic pan that you should be able to buy for a dollar or two is a great pan.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett kit with 14" and 10" and classifier. ~$40.

And once you get the "fever," Gold Hog Flow Pan.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garrett Super Sluice pan is awesome and almost indestructible and super fast. "Ain't no gold getting past those riffles!"
Avoid the flimsy cheap knock offs. Do the flex test. If it flexes and warps it fails. Those are only good for holding Halloween candy or watering plants at home and you dont need mining equipment that will blow away in the wind or fold in half inside your pack.
A Super Sluice will hold up for years. I've even shoveled with mine!
I think they come as a 15" in the Garrett starter kits mentioned above. The kit is really nice for a beginner in my opinion and has what ya need and quality tools to start with, cept maybe the tweezer/magnifying glass combo thing.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I learned on a 12 inch steel pan, they work just fine, my favorites are the estwing steel pans with the ribs in the rim. If plastic is the way you like to go the Garret Super Sluice pan is a good plastic one. Dont forget a snuffer bottle!

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never tried an Estwing pan but I've eyed them in hardware stores when I've seen them.
Id swear by every Estwing tool I've ever owned and my dad was a bricklayer, so been around plenty of Estwing hand tools in my life. Never been disappointed. I'm sure it would work well and it's a stiff sturdy pan. I'll have to pick one up next time and give it a swirl and I think they were around $11, somewhere in that range.
I've only ever purchased two pans in my life, both of them a Super Sluice but I could see having an Estwing steel pan for sure. Cant go wrong there.
I've handled a few crappy pans and I can see why guys have trouble panning with them. If the pan is creasing in half with a handful of material in it that's a problem haha.
Plastic would seem a little warmer to the fingers in the creeks that I'm in up here than a steel pan and I like the big bottom and gnarly riffles on the Garrett so much. You can get really aggressive with alot of material in it and it catches the goods.
I'd have to admit the Estwing would look bad azz tied on a mule tho.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the 14" Garret Acentric pan. Its the same size as a regular 14" garret pan but the bottom is 33% larger and its a lot easier for me at least to get down to black sand and gold quickly.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY pan will work....Loooong before "these" fancy pans came about.The old timers used anything they could get their hands on.It aint rocket science
GOLD IS HEAVY !!! Its more about technique :)

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah the steel can be cold in the winter weather I typically carry my super sluice in the wintertime or when I am operating my detector, steel mostly in the summer.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The proline professional mentioned above or the Garrett Supersluice. A wide bottom is key. As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first pan was the 14" Garrett from one of the garrett kits mentioned above, I have really liked it, I think it's quality. BUT, I told one of my friends to buy it this year and it seems like it's a different deal now. It came with this new "acentric" pan that was mentioned above also. It does have a nice big bottom but the fact that the bottom is slighty offset from center threw me off but the biggest ding was that it didn't feel near as sturdy as my pan. It felt rather thin and flimsy actually. I like the look of the proline pans but I know my next pan will be a Garrett supersluice, it will defenitely be too big for a beginner but like Kevin said, just don't fill it up all the way and you'll eventually grow into it.

OP
OP
Potts

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great information.... I went with the Supersluice 15".[h=1][/h]

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like this one....I have 2 of them.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Great information.... I went with the Supersluice 15".[h=1][/h]

Great choice that pan rips through dirt - but it will wear you out as it's heavy,
do what kevin suggested "As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material."
Or you will look like arnold schwarzenegger in no time.
For me I have to use two hands to use it.
I would suggest a smaller black pan for clean up -- use the Supersluice to get your cons then
pan the cons in smaller black pan (a little at a time)
good luck.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great choice that pan rips through dirt - but it will wear you out as it's heavy,
do what kevin suggested "As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material."
I would suggest a smaller black pan for clean up -- use the Supersluice to get your cons then
good luck.

thats a good tip, you can use the bigger pan as your safety pan. You use the big pan for rough concentrating and use a smaller pan for cleanup, utilize the larger pan as a "safety pan" to pan into so in case you lose somthing it is easy to get back in the case of in creek cleanup, in the case of a panning tub having a pan in the tub to pan into makes it a lot easier to keep your tub clean.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
good luck.

That is exactly my impression. Though I bought one at Armadillo a couple years back I have only used it once, other than as a safety pan, as it is just as heavy, unwieldy and works no better than my 14" steel pan that I purchased close to 50 years ago now. That is exactly why I originally suggested, in my first post, to get a broad bottom 12" pan....especially for a beginning panner. That said if I had more opportunity to use mine I would use it for production panning/field concentration...us desert rats usually only pan small quantities of already concentrated material and so I really have no need for mine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread