Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dear fellow prospectors,
I live in Germany and we can fly to Dublin round trip for the cost of two six packs of beer. I have heard of the "Gold Mine(s)River" which is located about 1 hour to the south of Dublin. Did anybody of you prospect this river? Is it worth going there? My wife and I go to Dublin once a year for a beer and music long weekend. So we'll be going on 20th-24th February 2019 again. If you go there don't miss the Rural Pub Tours! They take you out into the mountains around Dublin in a small bus visiting some very unique pubs. We've done it 3 times before and are going on the tour again.
Back to the gold......if it is somehow worth going there I would probably go there late summer when the water is low.
Thank's for your comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a PDF with the regulations for recreational panning in Ireland. There are several steps you need to complete before panning, including contacting the land owner. If you find gold you will need to report it and any nuggets over 2 grams have to be turned in to the State.

Heavy Pans

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find gold you will need to report it and any nuggets over 2 grams have to be turned in to the State.

So what is the point to make the effort, if you have to turn over anything over two grams. I suppose they (the state) will probably give you half in cash and the other half to the landowner. Or does a little bit stick to the state's fingers?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you find gold you will need to report it and any nuggets over 2 grams have to be turned in to the State.

So what is the point to make the effort, if you have to turn over anything over two grams. I suppose they (the state) will probably give you half in cash and the other half to the landowner. Or does a little bit stick to the state's fingers?

Keep in mind this is recreational "prospecting". There is no intent to make a profit much less a living. The point is to enjoy an afternoon trying to find a few colors in a beautiful Country not known for it's gold production.

A 2 gram nugget in Ireland would be huge. Large enough to be a national treasure. Way bigger than anyone would reasonably expect from a few hours panning.

The Irish State owns all gold and silver found so from their point of view they are being very generous. This is true of most countries - they own the minerals and if you are nice and pay enough in fees, fill out enough paperwork and wait long enough you can mine for them.

The fact that the U.S. is one of the very few countries that understands that the minerals belong to the people, not the State, seems to be lost on most Americans. We spend so much time complaining about government interference we've completely lost sight of the fact that the United States is consistently voted in the top 3 best countries to mine. In fact three U.S. States were in the top 10 world's best places to mine list last year. Nevada, Alaska and Arizona.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread