West coast storms ------- Forecasting up to 10 ft in SIERRAS = WATCHOUT !

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a recent video of NorCal mountains there was zero snow at the elevation being filmed. Ten feet or even 5 feet would make a big difference. I will not get excited till after the storm. Stay safe up that way!!...............63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a recent video of NorCal mountains there was zero snow at the elevation being filmed. Ten feet or even 5 feet would make a big difference. I will not get excited till after the storm. Stay safe up that way!!...............63bkpkr

Where was that? We have snow up in the mountains here...I think.
There was a bit of snow on Thanksgiving. Then lots of storms since then.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah.... hohum... It's winter.:BangHead:....geez..

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I have to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow running a plow truck up here in the northwest corner of California. It’s raining pretty good right now at the leading edge of the storm.

As I’m the only one on duty for this 40 mile section of mountain road tomorrow, I hope it doesn’t get too bad until the regular 9 person crew comes back on Monday. They’re calling for snow down to 500 foot elevation around the first of the week.

Mike

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When spring comes and all that melts, the areas that have burn scars should release some gold off the hills and a ton of overburden.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rain and snow mix on the south Oregon coast at sea level. Check this little whopper of a storm coming down out of the gulf on windy.com. Click on the snow after you look at the wind and you will see it dumping on the Sierras.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rained steady last night starting at about 5. Woke up at 7am to 20 minutes of extreme downpour and now nothing all day today

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/sweq.action

So according to the state we are at about 63% of the annual normal with a couple of months to go so I wouldn't expect too much. Of course CA hasn't seen anything close to normal, on any level, for so long they forgot what what normal actually looks like

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellas, please have pity on me, I consider myself to be 'Stuck' here in San Diego with a dream of being in those NorCal mountains I love so I try to keep up with what goes on up there during the winter. When I saw Asmbandits recent video there was no snow in the hills so I reached out trying to understand what is happening out there. Also my "old Lenovo" is trying to work though it is likely a loosing battle so some of my internet searching has not worked out including searching for NorCal Webcam footage along highway 80. Thanks!..................63bkpkr

PS - in the next couple of weeks I will put up quite a few pictures to my Tnet Journal, I located them on grandfather hard drives this weekend.

"FLASH" - I just tried the Royal Gorge Ski Resort site and it opened up. It indicated 19 degrees F with 8" of snow having fallen last night (I'm not certain if that is what it was yesterday?????) Their webcam was active for still pictures only but it looked like they have about 3' on the ground at the lodge. drooooool!

"Double Flash" Along Highway I 80 snow at 5000' and a good bit of snow at 7100'! Winter is ON!

BUT, on Tuesday (that's in two days from now) I arrive in Anaheim to attend a Medical Device Exposition where I will be working quite hard to find a new Position/Job. Where will that job be? Currently one possibility is Cork Ireland, another is back East (that's East coast of USA)! Keep your fingers crossed for me so that this time I pick a company that is Really Worth Working for!

Monday 04 Feb - The USGS has the NFAR flow showing three days ago at 800 CFS, it is now at 3500 CFS. The NFAR Drainage is seeing a lot of moisture entering the system, at higher levels that will be snow and rain at lower levels. Looks good to me!

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The snow is coming,I live in Shoreline, WA witch is on the Northern border of Seattle, 3 inches of snow already and more to come, last week I was mining and it was 56 degrees up in the mountains, snow level sea level.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fellas, please have pity on me, I consider myself to be 'Stuck' here in San Diego with a dream of being in those NorCal mountains I love so I try to keep up with what goes on up there during the winter. When I saw Asmbandits recent video there was no snow in the hills so I reached out trying to understand what is happening out there. Also my "old Lenovo" is trying to work though it is likely a loosing battle so some of my internet searching has not worked out including searching for NorCal Webcam footage along highway 80. Thanks!..................63bkpkr

PS - in the next couple of weeks I will put up quite a few pictures to my Tnet Journal, I located them on grandfather hard drives this weekend.

"FLASH" - I just tried the Royal Gorge Ski Resort site and it opened up. It indicated 19 degrees F with 8" of snow having fallen last night (I'm not certain if that is what it was yesterday?????) Their webcam was active for still pictures only but it looked like they have about 3' on the ground at the lodge. drooooool!

"Double Flash" Along Highway I 80 snow at 5000' and a good bit of snow at 7100'! Winter is ON!

BUT, on Tuesday (that's in two days from now) I arrive in Anaheim to attend a Medical Device Exposition where I will be working quite hard to find a new Position/Job. Where will that job be? Currently one possibility is Cork Ireland, another is back East (that's East coast of USA)! Keep your fingers crossed for me so that this time I pick a company that is Really Worth Working for!

Herb

Snow level may be down as low as 3500’ tonight.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Our winter snow usually shows up in Feb thru Mar......No groundhog to be seen anywhere :dontknow:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to the airport Saturday morning here, it was 0 degrees just before dawn. Today it hit 55.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a chance we could get a flake or 2 in El Dorado Hills at about 1000 elevation.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a chance we could get a flake or 2 in El Dorado Hills at about 1000 elevation.
So funny, I have over 6 inches at sea level, 22 degrees outside with high winds and snow drifts, hope you get your flake or 2

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got about 3" at 1950 ft. Got pretty drippy when the sun came out . Rock hard when it went down.

Initially they said 6 -8 inches where I'm at then as usual it was weak when the snow hit.

The rain and wind were pretty intense for hours Monday night Tuesday morning.

Pretty much all Sierra Nevada measurment stations are over Average for the date. Some stations are at 180% https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/snow/update/ca.txt

Klamath area not so much

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Expecting 4 to 12 more inches of snow Friday and Saturday, This may be the first WPMA gold show I may have to miss since it started 24 year ago, interesting point the show was always the last weekend of February, better weather then usually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread