Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Jasper outcrop worth a look?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2018
    32 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Jasper outcrop worth a look?

Getting to be that time of year again. I was shown a large Jasper outcrop last summer kind of in the middle of nowhere. Looking at land matters the only mineral claims around are all uranium and one aluminum. It’s on a knoll right next to a large canyon and surrounded by sedimentary rock, kind of a head scratcher why it’s there. It is south of all the north eastern New Mexico volcanic fields. Is there any valuable mineral that runs with Jasper?

Also are large chunks of Jasper worth anything? Like 5-100 pound chunks.
    Last edited by Smokehouse_83; Feb 02, 2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: More info

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Jasper is a very common rock. With the minor exception of some decorative varieties it has very little value.

Being a common variety mineral it can not be claimed or mined under the Mining Act.

Heavy Pans
    et1955 and wildminer like this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2265 times
    Prospecting
    While this is a little off the subject of mineralization association I would offer the following:
    While Jasper is fairly common it comes in a variety of colors and has a hardness that takes a nice polish if it does not have a lot of porous/cracks. I have often gone looking for good quality jasper. Often it has conchoidal fracturing and can be napped into arrowheads etc. If I were wanting to make jewelry I would focus on using jasper in silver mountings. I would focus on creating matched color sets ( earrings….necklaces.....bracelets)….similar to what you see being done with Turquoise. My reasoning is that women like color coordinated jewelry....to wear with their color coordinated clothing. So cabbing and slabbing would be a key element to creating jewelry out of jasper. It polishes very well. I have gone out of my way to get jaspers....such as Brenda jasper in Az...but it is hard to get good quality stones there.

Bejay

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    774 times
    Prospecting
    One of the places I mine has little gold but the fossils and Jasper are awesome, the colors are fantastic, one type of jasper I collect I call fire jasper because of the brilliant yellow, orange and red colors in it, like holding fire in your hand. Also I will note that another place I mine has jasper but It has bands of hematite in it.
    Nitric and russau like this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    487 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    One of the places I mine has little gold but the fossils and Jasper are awesome, the colors are fantastic, one type of jasper I collect I call fire jasper because of the brilliant yellow, orange and red colors in it, like holding fire in your hand. Also I will note that another place I mine has jasper but It has bands of hematite in it.
    Oooo, I'd like to see some pictures. I never saw any out there.
    63bkpkr likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    774 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00495.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	1677026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00489.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1677027Cedar ponds area. south of the sultan, hopefully I get a chance to show you the area, Root beer falls is pretty awesome.
    DizzyDigger, Nitric and OwenT like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    774 times
    Prospecting
    Horse tail fossil found in the areaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00466.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	1677032
    OwenT and Nitric like this.

Jan 2018
    32 times
    Just wondering. Seems like a weird place for a hydrothermal deposit and I was wondering if anything valuable comes in and deposits with melted silica.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4365 times
    Here in St. Louis ,Misery along the old Mississippi River channel I used to frequent a sand and gravel plate that is 5 miles east of the current Mississippi River channel and I their talings off fall I've found buckets of red & yellow Jasper. I picked up about a 5 gallon bucket of it in maybe 15 mins. I wanted to get it made into some jewelry for my wife. Most stones cutters don't want to cut this because it makes everything around then red. But I did find someone in Kansas that made the jewelry if I got him a bucket load also! I got-r-done and my wife never wore any of it......................go figure! BUT I still had fun collecting it.

us
    Just Another Old Guy

Feb 2008
    Grays Harbor in Washington state
    Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it
    1160 times
    Prospecting
    Horse tail as in animal or plant?
    Very cool either way.
    I'm a drinker with a heavy prospecting problem and I'm out of dirt again

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mike(swWash) View Post
    Horse tail as in animal or plant?
    Very cool either way.
    The plant. Equisetum (Horsetail)

It's considered a "living fossil" because you can still find it growing today. You've probably seen it growing in swampy areas.

Heavy Pans
    et1955 and 63bkpkr like this.

Dec 2015
    36 times
    if you can read dan hausels book gold he talks a lot about the 3.2 milion to 2.6 milion year old green belts heavily metamorphised and host to the richest gold mines in the world. he also talks about banded iron formations and mixed with jasper. he was wyoming state geologis you can gooble his site also and much of the book info is there.
    et1955 and travis.gore.79 like this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    338 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    Here in St. Louis ,Misery along the old Mississippi River channel I used to frequent a sand and gravel plate that is 5 miles east of the current Mississippi River channel and I their talings off fall I've found buckets of red & yellow Jasper. I picked up about a 5 gallon bucket of it in maybe 15 mins. I wanted to get it made into some jewelry for my wife. Most stones cutters don't want to cut this because it makes everything around then red. But I did find someone in Kansas that made the jewelry if I got him a bucket load also! I got-r-done and my wife never wore any of it......................go figure! BUT I still had fun collecting it.
    Dog Gang it...we have garnet here, and I was going to make the wife a ring out of a particular nice garnet I found, and now I am wondering if it is worth the effort! (LOL)

I am in no way saying garnet is the best gem there is, it would just be neat I think to give my wife a ring with a gemstone found on our farm. It is kind of like our Christmas Trees, most of them being Charlie Brown Christmas Trees, but the good Lord let them grow here, so we use what we were given.

Good for you for making them for your wife!

Mar 2013
    66 times
    Jasper is hard to work for gold. Look for a broken bar. Sometimes you can't see quartz vein but gold may still be there in contact zones and breaks. Even if you crush some float and find that the jasper contains color it may not pay because jasper is very hard and yeilds come hard!
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2265 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OreCart View Post
    Dog Gang it...we have garnet here, and I was going to make the wife a ring out of a particular nice garnet I found, and now I am wondering if it is worth the effort! (LOL)

I am in no way saying garnet is the best gem there is, it would just be neat I think to give my wife a ring with a gemstone found on our farm. It is kind of like our Christmas Trees, most of them being Charlie Brown Christmas Trees, but the good Lord let them grow here, so we use what we were given.

Good for you for making them for your wife!

My wife and I dug garnet in Ely Nevada on our way home from Rich Hill Az. We also dug Oregon Sunstones out of Lakeview Oregon. For Christmas I had some of my gold smelted and cast for a pendant that would hold a nice faceted sunstone and a couple of small faceted garnets. having been a gold miner and rock hound for almost 50 plus years I always enjoy doing things with those materials I find. I wish I had gotten into faceting a long time ago...but I let others do it now....it changes a rock like no other.

Bejay
    Clay Diggins and et1955 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links