Choked out a lion

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He probably just made the top slot of The Mountain Foundation's "most wanted list" for killing that cat.......good for him.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!!!! That's a MAN!! :laughing7: I've had 20 lb or less house cats(wild cats) caught and had to free them. They will rip you up!! I couldn't image an 80 lb cat coming at me!! Don't blame the guy one bit for killing it.

That's too funny to run into this today. Just this after noon my Dad and I were talking about this on the phone. About how in the U.S. there are very few animals to worry about in the wild. A mountain lion and Grizly (?) bear, the big bear out north west. And we were even saying about how even then you rarely hear of attacks....I log on tonight and see this...:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It was young,inexperienced at killing.thats the only thing that saved that guys arse.if the cat was older by a few years that guy wouldnt of heard a thing.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can just imagine trying to hold down a cougar while applying a rear-naked choke.
There's quite a few MMA fighters that train up in the high altitudes of the Rockies..gotta
wonder if it was one of them that got attacked.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that guy got lucky, and deserves some super cool award for that!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad always said..."Dogs balls in my mouth are better than mine in his" Chocked out a lion I think I would have that put on a T-shirt if I were him.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like the guy used up a year's worth of adrenaline...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was young,inexperienced at killing.thats the only thing that saved that guys arse.if the cat was older by a few years that guy wouldnt of heard a thing.

I had about a 125 lb Cougar after me, I think she was probably experienced! I got away................Ohhh wait!!?..... Wrong site and forum..:laughing7:

I'm jkg...I don't go to those sites...They just clog up you computer with "pop up's"..........Never mind...I'll stop with the stupid jokes....:laughing7:

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had about a 125 lb Cougar after me, I think she was probably experienced! I got away................Ohhh wait!!?..... Wrong site and forum..:laughing7:

I'm jkg...I don't go to those sites...They just clog up you computer with "pop up's"..........Never mind...I'll stop with the stupid jokes....:laughing7:

You are a better man than me. I got tangled up with a cougar and could not get away. Here is a picture of her all choked up, and incidentally she does not make for a bad Cat Skinner either (not to mention a wonderful wife and mother).

Cougar=Katie
Choked up= Cables hooked up to the trees on the skidder
Cat Skinner=Heavy Equipment Operator

Katie and Saw.jpg

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extinction list.

Mountain lions 10 Left -
Correction Mountain lions 9 Left -

Dumb-ass Take the twinkie out of your pocket AND carry mace while you play in there territory.
johnnysau

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All kidding aside, she can operate my equipment, mostly because if I ever got hurt, I wanted her to be able to move the machines around in an emergency. She loves the Kubota, loves the excavator, will tolerate the bulldozers (she thinks they are rough-riding), but HATES the skidders because of the noise. They are shrill...

But she can cat skin in Keds and a dress too... (LOL)

(Joseph T: I do own a Caterpillar Skidder too...so do not get too upset at me/Katie!) (LOL)

DSCN4292.JPG

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You "guys" are awesome. That Husky saw is no lightweight either! The loggers out west soup them up.

That is a 562 Husky, but honestly I HATE it. Hate is a strong word too, but it is really a gutless chainsaw. The dealership said it was a "disposable" saw, and they were right. Buy it for $700, run it for a year, then trade it in for a new one...if you can keep the thing from rattling apart!

I liked the Stihl much better, a MS 461, but that is a $1100 saw and not $700 too. You get what you pay for, but you do not get much when you run a Stihl MS 461 over with a skidder though. That was a bad day. I admit I said some bad words on that fiasco!

Stihl is coming out with a MS 500 but it is 100% fuel injected and not auto-tune, so I will wait until that comes out before I replace the !@#$%^&* 562 Husky! Did I mention I hate that chainsaw! But I have to get better first, I have not cut wood in over a year now. :-(

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The guy is lucky the cat didnt get the chance to give him the death kick.From house cats its bad enough,imagine an 80 pound cat doing it.It would be like 10 razor knives going through your gut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread