El Dorado County, Need help with 1.5 lbs of found buried mercury.

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found about 1.5 pounds of mercury buried in a glass fruit jar. Is there anyone near El Dorado County that can help evaluate the mercury? I suspect it is just liquid but perhaps it has some amalgam. Should this be run through a retort? Does anyone have the experience to discern if the material should be run through a retort? Please PM me if you are interested in helping. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1140641.JPG
    P1140641.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning viewers are advised to lock all firearms up prior to watching this video.
and no drinking, if you mix mercury, nitric and alcohol you get the ingredients to make cherry bombs.

the web page Basement Chemistry for the Prospector
was a good resource looks like it's no more, this is the web archive of that page.
look under "All about Mercury" it's a good resource...
https://web.archive.org/web/20160710004605/http://webpages.charter.net/kwilliams00/bcftp/bcftp.htm

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on now its not that bad he has many videos covering everything from panning to hard rock mining and everything in around and in between
No doubt there is great info, it’s the way it’s delivered that rubs me the wrong way.
I wish one time he’d try and tone it down a bit and see how that works.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning viewers are advised to lock all firearms up prior to watching this video.
yea, I don't waste ammo. So I will not watch Jeff Williams.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got tired of seeing a cool subject..clicking on it and having to stop about twenty seconds in..

he is a smart guy. i just wish he made videos for grown ups too.

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt there is great info, it’s the way it’s delivered that rubs me the wrong way.
I wish one time he’d try and tone it down a bit and see how that works.

I can see what you are saying but I see it as his way to attract newbies to the hobby as opposed to a boring video.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff tried to be normal at first, if you look at his videos as a whole then by age you can see what I mean. He adapted to reach more audience, I don't think people realize how non existent and full of angry old old guys the gold prospecting world is. If you look at all the people providing content that is mining related on youtube you will see that Jeff blows everyone away. It takes years to build the fan base he has and he is living very comfortable now. I follow him and his wife on Instagram also and all they do is travel the world and enjoy thanks to his hard work. Check out the end of the video when he announces all his patrons, if every partreon listed gave just 1 dollar, thats thousands a month just from that. And then the youtube income, the private diggs.. He's basically retried and digs gold and has fun with his wife all day, I sure would like to be in that situation!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way, the skit is annoying. Call me grumpy

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strain it through a chamois. DO NOT HEAT IT!!!! Liquid mercury is quite safe. One whiff of mercury vapor will kill you graveyard dead!!! That's a good find. Enough to gold mine the rest of your life if you are careful and us a retort or acid to work the amalgum. Two Toes and Jeff Williams both have videos on amalgamation. Store it safely. A 1 inch black pipe and 2 caps is best. It will not stick to steel or iron and if you drop the pipe, it won't break!!! It is always shipped in steel containers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread