El Dorado County, Need help with 1.5 lbs of found buried mercury.

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found about 1.5 pounds of mercury buried in a glass fruit jar. Is there anyone near El Dorado County that can help evaluate the mercury? I suspect it is just liquid but perhaps it has some amalgam. Should this be run through a retort? Does anyone have the experience to discern if the material should be run through a retort? Please PM me if you are interested in helping. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1140641.JPG
    P1140641.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With proper protection I would run it threw a fine sieve to see if there is gold amalgam.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a little through a coffee filter would give you some indication what might be there

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to see what happens when you strain the mercury. Post pics !!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest worry before playing with it would be it's history...if anything is mixed with it, why was it buried.....It may be fine, but who knows what home experiments it may have been through. Just thoughts...

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cant you let the surface oxidize by allowing air to hit it. If it forms a scum or oxidation layer on top it will have other heavies? Hope theres lots and lots of good stuff :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Cant you let the surface oxidize by allowing air to hit it. If it forms a scum or oxidation layer on top it will have other heavies? Hope theres lots and lots of good stuff :)

DONT DO THIS!!!! If you do you'll contaminate the surrounding area! And DONT heat it in your oven to burn off the excesses mercury.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a plastic concrete mixing tub and do all your work inside it to contain spills. Wear nitrile gloves and work in a well ventilated area.
Hg will not go thru a coffee filter easily and the filter will tear if you force it. I use a patch of nylon fabric like from a tent or wind jacket. Lay the fabric in a jar, pour in some hg then wring it out. Any solids like gold will be strained out.
Its messy, be prepared
Be sure to post back with what you find

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was watching a deal on youtube, Cody's lab where he deals with dirty mercury. Sure all precautions should be taken but if there's other heavies wont they keep the mercury from evaporation?

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a "chamois" to squeeze the Hg through. Of course using the normal cautions when handling.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was watching a deal on youtube, Cody's lab where he deals with dirty mercury. Sure all precautions should be taken but if there's other heavies wont they keep the mercury from evaporation?

Nope.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pour it through a 20 mesh screen.

Its too cold out for it to off gas in any significant way.

You would only put what stays in the 20 mesh screen in a retort.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use a "chamois" to squeeze the Hg through. Of course using the normal cautions when handling.

Actually historically, that was (is still in primitive mining areas?) a method of wringing excess mercury from amalgam lumps before it is fumed off with heat in a retort or in a pan over an open fire, etc. The bottle appears to be mostly if not all liquid mercury so maybe what Goldwasher said.

Last edited:

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a plastic concrete mixing tub and do all your work inside it to contain spills. Wear nitrile gloves and work in a well ventilated area.
Hg will not go thru a coffee filter easily and the filter will tear if you force it. I use a patch of nylon fabric like from a tent or wind jacket. Lay the fabric in a jar, pour in some hg then wring it out. Any solids like gold will be strained out.
Its messy, be prepared
Be sure to post back with what you find

Do Not Use Chamois!!! You Will Not be able to get all the micro mercury out of it and it will have to be disposed of as Hazardous Waste!
I use "Rip-Stop" Nylon tent patching material. It is apx. 600mesh fine. You may be able to get some at a Fabric Store or at an Out Door Store as a tent patching kit.
Like Bonaro says use Nitrile Gloves and a plastic container to catch the Little Itty Bitty Tiny Beads (is this clear?) of Hg. If your Hg is clean enough it will coalesce back together into one big blob. If it doesn't then you will need to reconstitute it by placing in a stainless steel container with Distilled water and Table Salt solution over it. Then hook up a battery to one side of the bowl and place a piece of 12ga electric wire striped for 1/4" into the pool of Hg. The Sodium in the solution will combine with the Hg and it will coalesce back together into one big blob. Google this procedure to get it right.

When done place Hg into a Lab Grade Plastic container and put 1/2" of salt sol over it. This keeps the Hg from out gassing at Room temp, which it will do over time and contaminate the Air in a confined space. This will be a Low Grade contamination but over years you will get a dose like the old "Mad as a Hatter" saying! Hg was used to SET the Felt on the Hats they made.

You will have to take the amalgam and Retort it to Evaporate the Hg in a Retort and it will leave you with Au,Ag,and ?? in the Sponge in the container. This is what you will take to a Refiner/Gold Buyer. I would recommend AAA in Portland, Or. as Jason knows what to do. You will be charged a refining fee. And a Hazmat fee if they even do this anymore.
You may have to Melt the Dore into a Bar/Blob before they will take it. Ala Yukon Gold!!!

You will Still have all the Hg as an Impure Product that can't be used for anything except amalgamating Au from you black sands.

Do Not Burn the Hg off into the Air, even in an Open Area!!! When the Hg condenses back to Micro Droplets and fall to the ground in 20'+ you will have a Hazmat Situation on your hands, and if found out by the Powers That Be you will be charged a BIG Cleanup Fee.

Your best bet with this Crap would be to find an Old Timer who has all the equipment to do this process and would be willing to Charge/Split the proceeds.

If you want to Learn this for Yourself then I suggest you contact Action Mining in Sandy, Or. and either buy their literature or see if they will process this Crap for you!!!

Sincerely
Bill "Lost Adams"
PS I used this stuff back in the '70's and '80's while I was Dredging to clean up my cons.

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The stuff he was using he ran out on a slide to see the evaporation rate, but said the oxide buid up (from being filled with multiple metals) actually prevented it. I think he filmed it.. Of course that was probably only that particular circumstance.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rip a little piece off a cotton ball and stick in a small funnel. if any amalgam it will stick to the cotton.

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLD FROM MERCURY !!!!!! Out Of Black Sand. ask Jeff Williams

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning viewers are advised to lock all firearms up prior to watching this video.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread