Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Gang,

My girl and I are going to drive up to Alaska from Seattle on the Alcan highway this summer. I've done quite a bit of prospecting but because of space limitations I just want to bring two small sluices. I just want to work a claim for a few days, nothing major, old fashion shovel and classifier.

Can I just rent a claim for those days, should I work a public spot? How do I go about accomplishing my goal.

Thanks everyone,

Zig

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We spent 2 months traveling thru Canada and Alaska going as far as Fairbanks then to anchorage then down to home near Sacramento ca. We went may 1 and got home end of June. Roads all the way were good enough for our 24 foot class c rv. Prospected a little but all rivers and creeks were high water bank to bank.

We did the big drive last summer but didn’t hit the start of the Alcan until mid July. Starting later meant no mosquitos (!) and lower water. We panned at 17 different spots. Sluiced and high-banked at a few where allowed. Great fun!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I drove the loop a few years ago, it took 11 days and some days were 300 miles. AK is a very big place. You will need a capable vehicle and getting of the beaten path is very rewarding...when there actually is a beaten path. I took a large caliber handgun and I would say this is a necessity because of the wildlife. However, if you have some common sense when in the bush, your probably pretty safe. I would not take long hikes alone without a gun and the fortitude to use it quickly.

AK gold is typically mixed with a ****-ton of gravel so I would keep your expectations conservative.
Regarding the comment about why would you leave...You will probably find more gold at home but the romance and adventure of prospecting ins Alaska is not something I would pass up, even if I found nothing.

Any area of value is under claim and getting permission would be tedious. I would go to the tourist traps, pan the road crossings at the many rivers you will find or go to one of the many gold camps and pay to play.

Make sure to be noisy when in the bush and you will never see a bear and dont be stupid and carry smelly food with you and sneak around and maybe surprise one

We had bears in camp daily, none bothered us except one....we ate him

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread