tunneling in consolidated aluvium

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on leased from state endowment lands and they won't let us touch trees and they said no more vertical cuts, the pay zone is the bottom 8 feet stream laid aluvium . then their is another 8 feet of dirt soil eluvial deposit from the side hill mostly dirt that the trees grow in. local friend whos mined for over 40 years says most of the pay in in the bottom 4 feet especally on the bedrock was thinking I have free suply of 4 x4s 3 foot long and a good bit of 6 foot long 2 by lumber of various widths

was thinking of tunneling into the base of the gravel and put up roof suports to prevent cave in. would like to dry land dredge and reach in to dig with long tools to stay out side or at least under the protecting timbers so that any minor rock falls at the face I am not under. and then every 6 inch or so go and put in 4 x4 posts with 2 by limber on edge above it.

spaning 6 feet how deep should the 2 inch planks on edge be? my friend to said the pay layer a is at the bottom does not like the idea of tunneling in aluvium.

when finished should be able to pump tailing in wet tailings to fill tunnel because first have to dig down 4 feet to get to bed rock, know their is good gold right there but we can't cut the trees even though they are likely 30 years from market size can't just oull the bracing out because being only 2
12 feet below the surface would cause ground slumping also a no no. thankyou

ps would prefab the roof beam stacking 4 layers of plank on edge nailed or screwed and glued so it was 6 or 9 inches front to back say a 2x12 then a 2 xy 4 then a 2 by 6 then a 2 by 4 ant for the 6 layer units another 2x4 and finish wuth a 2 by 12 to put them in place one post would be atached then ther other end jacked into place and the second post wedged into position then 45 degree braces could be added in the corners for added stifffening ( ie 4 by 4s cut on both ends at 45 degrees and screwed in place

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
One of these will take care of your rock problem......

Or this one... The Sierra blaster, which I think I prefer of the two.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
The river is controlled by a dam sadly and the P.U.D. that controls it said they will never let the river flood naturally again, instead they do controlled releases. Sad !!!

5'x3'x1' you say???? come along that thing. is it on a slope or in any way where gravity can help you? big levers and tension can do impressive things. i was rock hopping a creek as a kid fishing for trout when a flat boulder 5'x5'x2' went vertical when i jumped on it. i went in the water, boulder above my head. it laid back down in its original local. very close call.

OP
OP
S

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best short story louis lamore ever wrote was about a gold vein in a tower of rock and should that tower colaspe the vein would be lost. finaly he digs for a number of days and then leaves with just so much of the tower dug insteed of trying to bet one more sack of ore out. his backup plan had been to run but the one time the tunnel creeked he found hisself froze in place. not good to count on reacting in time to get out from under a falling rock

OP
OP
S

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The river is controlled by a dam sadly and the P.U.D. that controls it said they will never let the river flood naturally again, instead they do controlled releases. Sad !!!

how big are the controled releases? are then not ment to mimic natural floods at least adverage size not the 100 year floods?

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how big are the controled releases? are then not ment to mimic natural floods at least adverage size not the 100 year floods?
The releases are generally about 3 for 4 ft higher than there normal winter level and all they do is bring mud down the river, this area of the river is recycled, that is water is returned up river from the power plant down river and is pumped up river threw a pipeline, also the river has 2 levels, summer and fall, 8 inch difference, as for that rock I am going to let Owen T. deal with it someday, I have better ground to mine now on my claims in N. California.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The releases are generally about 3 for 4 ft higher than there normal winter level and all they do is bring mud down the river, this area of the river is recycled, that is water is returned up river from the power plant down river and is pumped up river threw a pipeline, also the river has 2 levels, summer and fall, 8 inch difference, as for that rock I am going to let Owen T. deal with it someday, I have better ground to mine now on my claims in N. California.

I know a guy that had a boulder fall into his hole smashing every bone from the knee down.
Took a long time to get that boulder off him and airlift him out.

That was on the south fork.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When alone one must use special skills, I have over 40years of Kung Fu training, it is a way of life, Gold mining is not a way to get in shape, you must be in shape before you mine. Being aware of your physical capabilities and your surroundings is so important, I learned from my mistakes, witch I survived them with no injuries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread