Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,
My family just bought me a 2yr membership to GPAA then I am going to join AMRA. Going to visit my daughter in Colorado. I will be staying in Grand Lakes, Colorado for a couple days then Denver, Colorado. Does anyone know of a place that sells preowned Keene sluice boxes in Grand Lakes or Denver ? I just bought an Equinox 800 and sending CTX to get repaired from Minelab so I have about $50 saves so far for a sluice. Since I will be driving up to Colorado often, I will move toward High banking, then suction dredge. I want to start with a basic sluice box for now. If any of you live in that area and can tell me if there are stores that sell prospecting supplies I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Dan

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There’s no shop near Grand Lake that sells prospecting gear BUT you should stop at Gold-N-Detectors at 802 Washington St. in Golden, CO. It’s basically on your way from Denver to Grand Lake! They will have sluices. Another option is the Carquest auto parts and outdoor gear store in Idaho Springs.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you Kevin in Colorado. Yea, my daughter lives in Lakewood, Co. I did see that shop on google maps Gold-N-Detectors and I plan on checking the place out. I will call them this week and see what they have as far as sluice. You mentioned Carquest auto parts and outdoor gear? Now that is interesting. Here in Houston you would never walk in to Carquest auto parts and find prospecting supplies. That sounds interesting. I really want to check out some of these prospecting stores when I get to Colorado in a couple weeks. I here it is going to be snowing when we get there. Will I still be able to use my detector in some of the places like GPAA claims? I will bring my wetsuit and will keep warm. I just don’t know if the water /ground is going to be frozen. I see your nickname is KevinInColorado. Are you still in Colorado? If so, are you able to do prospecting, Detecting, etc. this time of year ?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything in the mountains is frozen under 5 feet of snow. Not sure about Denver but I think guys dig at clear creek during the winter, and downstream from the Coors plant.
That's where I'd be.
The Arkansas river might be clear enough to mess around but theres probably snow for sure.
Not sure where your claims are but grand lake is probably buried hard.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything in the mountains is frozen under 5 feet of snow. Not sure about Denver but I think guys dig at clear creek during the winter, and downstream from the Coors plant.
That's where I'd be.
The Arkansas river might be clear enough to mess around but theres probably snow for sure.
Not sure where your claims are but grand lake is probably buried hard.

Johnny is right. Lots of snow up here in the mountains right now. And cold so waterways are froze up pretty good above about 7000 feet.

I live in the CO mountains in Summit County (near Silverthorne), on an old gold mine site. Right now I have to travel about an hour downhill to get to diggable dirt.

I haven’t heard of anyone having luck with a metal detector on a GPAA Claim in Colorado. Most of the gold is just too small.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions