Calif. man sentenced to 1 year in prison for illegally digging up artifacts

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He knew better.

They also busted him in possesion of Meth.

He got a year and a day. He'll be out in six months.

They are blowing up the signifigance of his finds. Most of it is what the original owners/makers considered trash.

You can tell by looking at it. Those sights in those areas have been known and picked clean of the good stuff years ago.

Modern activist archeologists are trying their very best to convince anyone who will listen. That there were millions and millions more people in the native population than there ever was. Even though the physical evidence shows over and over how small and scattered these groups were.

I have some really neat stuff I collected legally in the Eastern Sierra. From the Ranch I used to live on.

And believe it or not from construction aggregate/backfill material.

It was sourced in Western Nv. And brought to our worksites in trucks. We would grab what we could when we came across it.

Unfotunately, unlike they make it seem in this story. The local tribes do very little and care very little about thes "sacred archeological sights"

They know even less about them.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always enjoy your posts Goldwasher. I find your honest, no BS home spun logic refreshing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tossed him in the Booby hatch

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why arrowheads are so valuable to the archies?

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He knew better.

They are blowing up the signifigance of his finds. Most of it is what the original owners/makers considered trash.

You can tell by looking at it. Those sights in those areas have been known and picked clean of the good stuff years ago.

Modern activist archeologists are trying their very best to convince anyone who will listen. That there were millions and millions more people in the native population than there ever was. Even though the physical evidence shows over and over how small and scattered these groups were.

I have some really neat stuff I collected legally in the Eastern Sierra. From the Ranch I used to live on.

It was sourced in Western Nv. And brought to our worksites in trucks. We would grab what we could when we came across it.

Unfotunately, unlike they make it seem in this story. The local tribes do very little and care very little about thes "sacred archeological sights"

I am curious as to what you think the purpose of inflating population estimates is. I kind of thought it was the opposite but don’t really have much knowledge.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt like there was possibly more to this story than what was reported on. The whole situation seems very extreme to me

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He knew better.

I am curious as to what you think the purpose of inflating population estimates is. I kind of thought it was the opposite but don’t really have much knowledge.

reinforcing the myth that our nations founding was a bad thing.

That we somehow destroyed a utopia (that never existed) Inflating the amount of people here can then be used as a way to show how many were "decimated"

I would get more into it. But it would be considered politics.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite books is about pre-historic native population in the South Western U.S.

There were places still being found in the early 20th century related to early and pre Anaszi people.

Their stuff just laid on the ground for centuries into modern times.

Never trampled or destroyed by newer populations... why?

Because there just werent that many people.

It's not a mystery why whole cultures can "disappear" when there is a very small culture to begin with.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clear I do not think it is right to go into a tribes known sacred location and take what was left there.

Thats not what this was.

ARPA is very clear about the legality of collecting on Public Lands.

I do not think that it is wrong if you have access to private land and come across a tool making site. Or even a small camp. that you are the devil for collecting.

Regardless of the rhetoric. I believe most collectors (not people who sell) actually care as much or MORE about the history. than the people griping about it.

the fact that it took them seven years to close this case. That the guy only got a year and a day 130k in restitution.

The amount of agencies involved. Is interesting.

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/n...sentenced-to-for-digging-up-washoe-artifacts/

I already know where this place is. The above article wants everyone else to know also :BangHead:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder why arrowheads are so valuable to the archies?

It is not just the arrowheads, it is the fact that illegally digging the sites often erases clues about the culture that lived there. Dig sites are often only partially excavated, all artifacts and features documented as to the position/where found in the dig, then the site is re-covered with soil....the thought is that future archeologist's will have developed new technologies and then can better analyze the culture when and if they decide to re-dig the site.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not just the arrowheads, it is the fact that illegally digging the sites often erases clues about the culture that lived there. Dig sites are often only partially excavated, all artifacts and features documented as to the position/where found in the dig, then the site is re-covered with soil....the thought is that future archeologist's will have developed new technologies and then can better analyze the culture when and if they decide to re-dig the site.

Wich is totally weird considering all the excavations of ancient sites world wide.

It's more the norm to explore with the tech available and add to it as you go.

It would seem to me that in the U.S the main issues are Tribes allowing it to be done

And the fact that the Universities involved spend to much time trying to imply before discovery.

Then not liking the facts discovered???

I also figure that as with anything else the modern University system in our country touches there is massive pointless waste of funds.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not sure that populations didn’t ebb and flow over time. I guess with new techniques in dna research they can trace bottlenecks when population sizes shrunk, so maybe in a way everyone is right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread