Watching gold rush the other day.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was watching gold rush the other day, and Parker was having a access road made to his claim by Tony Beeks. And they uncovered some virgin gravel. Parkeer did a test pan and got about 15 colors or so. Is this pretty good?

Depends on particle size. 15 colors all -150 mesh ain’t ****. Both because it doesn’t add up to much and because their commercial scale equipment won’t catch it anyway!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15 colors per pan per , X 1 Million yards of material processed adds up.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watched the episode and many visible colors appeared to me to be somewhere above 20 mesh. That would add up in a hurry if the pan is truly representative of the total deposit. Bear in mind that the wash plant runs about 200 or so yards per hour and a pan full is probably less than a half gallon in volume eg. a tiny fraction of a yard of pay.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Impressive but you have to figure the total amount of material processed and the costs of equipment, fuel, labor, claim royalties, etc.

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago in Cajon Pass, I test panned an area, and got 42 colors in 3 pans. I set my sluice up there and would shovel about an hour before work every day. My black sand, after panning down to mostly black san, would have 5 to 10 colors per tablespoon.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
What gets me is the amounts of gold they do get VRS. the amount of gold that is left on the ground that their dozer or lift cant get. You would think that after they are done getting the vast amount of gold that their equipment can get that a enterprising miner don't go in and suck up what id left in the cracks and low spots with a dry land dredge or something similar that will capture this gold. OR maybe they just don't show that in another show. I know this material isn't worth their time and investment to get BUT still ????????????????????????

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I have watched their sluice operations and gold sizes at weigh-ins and am convinced they are losing a fortune in finer sizes of gold.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What gets me is the amounts of gold they do get VRS. the amount of gold that is left on the ground that their dozer or lift cant get. You would think that after they are done getting the vast amount of gold that their equipment can get that a enterprising miner don't go in and suck up what id left in the cracks and low spots with a dry land dredge or something similar that will capture this gold. OR maybe they just don't show that in another show. I know this material isn't worth their time and investment to get BUT still ????????????????????????

I was at the Black Thunder Mine in Wright, WY getting a tour, and while this is coal and not gold mining, this 300 ton truck comes around the bend to back into the crusher and coal rolls off the truck in a huge heap. I said, "You guys must scape that up at the end of the shift and run it through the crusher?" And he said, "No, it is just waste." I said, "That would heat my house for the rest of my life", to which the man said he had never thought of that way before?

They did not grow up on a farm, I can assure you. I don't know how you can see that much waste and not recover it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread