Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Spongebob661

Mar 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes of course but what kind of quartz and how can I tell if it has gold in it??

tonofsteel

Dec 21, 2017
Gap of Canada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes of course but what kind of quartz and how can I tell if it has gold in it??

Send it in for an assay or crush and pan it. To crush you can use a metal mortar and pestle or get some pipes with caps from the hardware store. Or you can build an impact/hammer mill or take your samples to someone nearby that will let you use theirs.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it has free-milling gold you will be able to pan it out if you crush the rock to a powder first. Did you find it in a gold-producing area?

Also maybe we should consider writing a sticky thread for this forum with the basic information that people usually come to this site looking for. Not that it's a bad thing, I got hooked on T-Net after coming around asking how to see if there was gold in my black sand (there was not ), just might help a lot of people get answers more quickly and avoid redundant threads.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Spongebob66! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider posting those pictures on Geological > Rocks/Gems

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend a trip to your local library. There are some great books on basic geology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread