Leveling a sluice accurately

Zahal

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2019
Hudson River Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found the tool made for the job. The Stanley I-Beam 180 at Home Depot. The bubble on the right can be set to whatever angle required.

stanley.JPG

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I just use my iPhone ..........

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I level mine by eye just enough so I can spend more time digging and less time fiddling. Less gear to pack in.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Experience, water flow and the type of material you run determine the angle of your sluice.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found the tool made for the job. The Stanley I-Beam 180 at Home Depot. The bubble on the right can be set to whatever angle required.

View attachment 1687755

Don't get me wrong. We could definitely use that at the next miner's bash to check who has surpassed their limit of drink.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong. We could definitely use that at the next miner's bash to check who has surpassed their limit of drink.

I don't know we might need a Plumb Bob for that.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the job we used to call a level a "whiskey stick" because the vials are filled with alcohol, not water. When somebody did something goofy a common accusation was- "Did you drink your whiskey stick!?"

But IMO you don't need a spirit level to set up a sluice box. It's all about volume and velocity.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the way carpenters would get a level to read 1" per a foot is to fasten a block to one end. Say you got a two foot level, A 1-1/2" block gets you 3/4" per a foot, cause you jacked up the one end of the level 3/4" per a foot over two feet. A two inch block gives you 1" per a foot, and a 2-1/2" block would give 1-1/4" drop per a foot, all while the vial reads level..

I learned that from a carpenter.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I set up my sluice like I prefer my women:
Shallow, slightly off kilter and a little fast. Woop woop!

Shallow: Check
Slightly Off Kilter: Check (she married me)
Fast: Check (four daughters as trophies)

Mountains: Check
Truck: Check

Mmmmmmmmm….the only thing that appears to be missing is the sluice box! :occasion14:

(I could not find the sluicebox emoji)

Katie and Truck.jpg

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Note: That picture was taken at Abol Bridge, on the West Branch of the Penobscot River with Mount Katadin in the background just North of Millinocket Maine.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read into his post that his reference to a sluice was one mounted in a highbanker setup (?). Doc at Goldhog likes to give advice on that for different mats, etc. Otherwise it makes no sense and...yes, there are other methods as have been stated in previous posts.

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And then you have one of your partners that insisted that he wanted a drop of an inch per foot on his six foot sluice so I got my four foot level and gave it four inches but oh know...that won't work...we need a six foot level. Go figure. Retired carpenter here so I will give you a leveling tip that comes in handy when plumbing rough framing, etc. Tape a short (couple of inches) piece of 1X2 at the far ends. That way only the two small pieces and not the center touch your studs which sometimes can be really bowed. This gives you an accurate plum wall from top plate to bottom plate. Could be useful on long sluices also. I use this method constantly on my 80in. level. I don't have a set fall on my five inch..I go by how the riffles fill and what I'm suckin' and how fast I'm pumping. And also notice that there can be a big difference when empty vs. full of water and gravel on pontoons.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And then you have one of your partners that insisted that he wanted a drop of an inch per foot on his six foot sluice so I got my four foot level and gave it four inches but oh know...that won't work...we need a six foot level. Go figure. Retired carpenter here so I will give you a leveling tip that comes in handy when plumbing rough framing, etc. Tape a short (couple of inches) piece of 1X2 at the far ends. That way only the two small pieces and not the center touch your studs which sometimes can be really bowed. This gives you an accurate plum wall from top plate to bottom plate. Could be useful on long sluices also. I use this method constantly on my 80in. level. I don't have a set fall on my five inch..I go by how the riffles fill and what I'm suckin' and how fast I'm pumping. And also notice that there can be a big difference when empty vs. full of water and gravel on pontoons.

A person could also place a length of clear tubing from one side to the other on one side of the frame, fill it with antifreeze for color and to protect from freezing, cap it at both ends, and have a permanently attached water level. They are pretty accurate as well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pitch of the run should be adjusted based on what the material in the box is doing. It will be close but, never really exactly the same. It can be done by eyesight.

With a sluice on legs the side to side level can be adjusted by eyeballing the water coulumn exiting the box. It will be deeper on the lower side. Pretty easy to see. Also if you run somelights through real quick if they build up on one side ore the other you can tell when your box isn't quite level.

You could always just mount a bubble permantly to have a visual reference.

Or just keep a small torpedo level in your pack.

I had a clinometer app on my phone. But my protective case had a bump on one end that made level not really level.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I first started out, I did use a level to setup my sluices and even drew a reference line on one of them until I had gotten enough experience to do it by eyeballing it. Now I know what I'm looking for and it's easier to just eyeball it. I still use my phone app to setup my piglet to a starting point, and then adjust from there depending on what I see.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Using a level will place your sluice at the wrong angle 100% of the time.
You need to adjust the angle according to water velocity and correct performance of the riffles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread