Any Gold left in this Historic Mother lode Creek?

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate enough to meet up with Jarrod (Goldwasher) the other day to check out his claim and do some drone recon and also poke around some. I needed to be somewhere later in the day so we didn't have a long time out there but made the best of it, we checked out a lot of area on the claim via drone fly over and I found a nice little picker with some minimal digging.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How ya like that drone for prospecting and is it a good visual? What's something like that run? For a decent model?

The coolest thing about it is gaining the resolution you don't have on ariels.

I want to do another round with more of a preset flight plan. This time we just did an over view and creek flight on the older claim.

been stomping around there for seven years. Between metal detecting hunting and just scouting. Ive been over the whole area.

But, you can always gain from other perspectives.

Thanks for coming out Gerry. Next time maybe we'll plan it so Eric comes along. Have a longer day too.

Oh, and the answer is yes...with a lot more on the hillsides:headbang:

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
So for you prospectors, do you hold onto your findings waiting for gold prices to rise? Where do you sell it and what percentage of spot do you actually get?

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drone aspect it's something very much worth the money, you can access areas otherwise un accessible without a lot of trail blazing.

I run a dji mavic pro, dji just came out with two newer versions with different cameras. The original mavic pro though is in my opinion almost just as good a the newer ones as the drone is almost the same just a better camera.

Learning to fly is actually very simple, when you let go of the controller the drone stops and holds position and will return to you if battery our signal issues arise.

Thanks for having me out Jarrod we will for sure have to do it again soon when the weather permits.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's way too cheap to sell for how much work it is. I'm keeping all the gold I get. Now is the time to BUY gold, not sell it! I wouldn't sell a speck of my gold at these prices and I'd rather get punched in the nads!

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for you prospectors, do you hold onto your findings waiting for gold prices to rise? Where do you sell it and what percentage of spot do you actually get?
I keep the majority of my gold at the bank for now, prospecting is not my main source of income so I'm able to hold onto the gold for now.

Hopefully the pile will grow and I can use the money when in closer to retirement or pass it on to my kids one day.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow those drones look AWESOME but for that much $$$$ my wife would probably tell me to sell an ounce haha. Looks like I dont need one bad enough and I'll have to stick to the old fashioned means of walking it all.
Just think if you could mount divining rods on that thing! You would surely be a rich man!

They might get cheaper in a few years I'd guess.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they are not cheap for sure and I am on my second one actual. Went quite a while without it until I saved up for another, I was able to get a like new in the box mavic on ebay for half of the new price.

I didn't buy mine with prospecting in mind actual, I'm slowly finding new ways to use it that are beneficial. I bought mine for the shoots to use in my videos mostly.

If I had acreage of my own it would be a must have, it can be used to check on your land or grazing animals very well. You can run software that allows you to in plot on a flight path and you can fly that path by simply pressing a button to take off, the drone will fly itself.

You could sit in your kitchen sipping coffee just watching the monitor or watch the recording later on.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what I was thinking. Were on 75 acres with BLM and natl forest behind us. Lots of critters around and hunters during hunting season and people cutting firewood at times. A BLM trail crosses through our property and my dogs can hear them driving through from our place so they always let us know someone is going through there.
A drone would be awesome to make sure they arent cutting fences, starting a fire or cutting my trees down. There arent any gates but it's well marked to stay on the road.
We have open vertical mine shafts that will swallow a truck and 40 feet deep and prospect holes everywhere so I dont want an idiot or his dog to fall in haha. It would be easier to just buryem at that point.
We get hikers and hunters wandering around at times and it's frustrating. As soon as they get to the forest boundary they park to hunt. Problem is that it's just at my backyard and we live here.

Flying one of those things would just be awesome in general for the scenery if nothing else!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Realisticly the price of gold is always going up...so just don't sell all of it.

I have to sell. So, I get the most for it I can. That does require knowing a good buyer(s). It is best to sell only when you have at least an ounce.

Best way is still paydirt. For small amounts it giggly profit margin.

I hold onto specimins until I get what I want for them. They are not so Spot price or futures related. Infact a major rise in spot price won't have an exact match it the rise of the speci value.

Say you have a nice cabinet Specimin with a sale price of $900 bucks. If spot price doubles. That specimen will not. You sure won't have more customers for raising the price either.

I sure as hell don't sell them for spot or less :sadsmiley: to get money though.

Placer and stuff revoved from quartz that doesn't command premium. Gets sold as needed. Thought thas what mining was :dontknow:

Don't sell when desperate is a basic rule.

Setting aside a bit of a pile is nice. And and smart.

If you want to collect it and are in the situation to work full time. Plus go out prospecting enough. Succesfully enough to build up a really good amount. That will realize substantial value years in the future. Awesome.

I plan on having my cake and eating it too :occasion18:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with any investment you try to buy low and sell high. I mine for fun not for the money so I've never sold any but EBay will get you more than selling to a "buyer". Because people there buy gold for many different reasons. worst thing you can ever do is sell because you need the money. Many, many fortunes have been made by taking advantage of these people [emoji41]

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with any investment you try to buy low and sell high. I mine for fun not for the money so I've never sold any but EBay will get you more than selling to a "buyer". Because people there buy gold for many different reasons. worst thing you can ever do is sell because you need the money. Many, many fortunes have been made by taking advantage of these people [emoji41]

You know I never say anything about ebay. Cause I've always been hesitant to set up a store.

But, I am quite often impressed at what people sell gold on there for. Tempting.

Still thinking about it....still hesitating....

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look before you leap... he who hesitates is lost...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread