Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Recreation area.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting

Recreation area.

Are you aloud to prospect in a recreation area ? from what i read on the USFS and BLM web sites its ok. We are prospecting off a forest road next to a creek its public land with turn outs and 2 pit toilet's. My friend went to a prospecting store and was talking with the owner about sluicing in that area he said we cannot prospect there. Thanks for any input.

us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9987 times
    Prospecting
    Check the Pub All Systems Geo Supp Report on the LR2000. If it's been withdrawn it will have an entry for the mineral closure.

Heavy Pans
    Mine Shaft, et1955, russau and 1 others like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10370 times
    Prospecting
    Keep in mind that “Withdrawn from Mineral Entry” means you can’t file a claim. You can still prospect/sample...unless there is some other restriction stopping you. It generally takes a literal act of Congress (ie a specific law) to ban prospecting so that’s quite rare. It generally happens around major reservoirs and a few national conservation areas.

On the other hand, even the federal Wilderness Act allows manual prospecting.

Clay, thoughts?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10370 times
    Prospecting

Recreation area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mine Shaft View Post
    Are you aloud to prospect in a recreation area ? from what i read on the USFS and BLM web sites its ok. We are prospecting off a forest road next to a creek its public land with turn outs and 2 pit toilet's. My friend went to a prospecting store and was talking with the owner about sluicing in that area he said we cannot prospect there. Thanks for any input.
    1. Prospecting store owners are often wrong.
    2. Check the status of the land via the mining claims and master title plats areas of Mylandmatters.org
    3. If claimable (could be despite the public amenities!) check the county clerk for recent claims.
    4. Go digging!

PS it’s “allowed” not aloud.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you Clay and Kevin, i sent Clay a message with info on the area i dont know how to use that form.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    460 times
    Prospecting
    I think that national recreation areas are almost always withdrawn from mineral entry meaning no claims. "Mineral collecting" might still be allowed if the administering department hasn't imposed specific regulations stating otherwise. In that case maybe start thinking about Kevin's advice

I know that in the Sawtooths in ID were a popular crystal collecting area but since the USFS has imposed the regulation of "no mineral collecting" complete with signs on the trails and everything because it's in the sawtooth national recreation area. It was first a federal wilderness area though so like Kevin said that conflicts with the Wilderness Act which predates the Recreation area or the FS regulations. I know of another wilderness area with the same story in Washington.
    et1955, Mine Shaft and Gold4Mike like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting
    Well looking at the land matters map it shows "5" claims in that area, dose that mean they are active if they are on that map ?

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting
    What do you think Clay ? thank you.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting
    Sorry about the fuzzy lines, any way the road goes right through the 5 claims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0338.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	1690518  

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    762 times
    Prospecting
    To get the info you are looking for just click the " i " on the side bar and then click on the area your interested in and a window will appear giving you the info you are looking for.
    Mine Shaft likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    454 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    To get the info you are looking for just click the " i " on the side bar and then click on the area your interested in and a window will appear giving you the info you are looking for.
    Thank you. I clicked on the i and the area and the info is there but i dont know what it means, it looks like its all up to date. We will be going there in the morning i was just wanted to make sure.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1853 times
    Prospecting
    It would be safe to assume the waterways are claimed by that map.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1853 times
    Prospecting
    Any gold bearing waterways with easy access and next to a road, you can bet they are claimed.
    et1955 and Mine Shaft like this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10370 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    Any gold bearing waterways with easy access and next to a road, you can bet they are claimed.
    ...if they can be, that is.
    et1955 and Mine Shaft like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    762 times
    Prospecting
    Here you go, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190313_193319.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	1690637 you can call the BLM office in your area and for nominal fee get copies of the claims in the area or go the County recorders office and research the claims in the area, from what I saw the land outside the claim boxes belongs to the county.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links