Washington miners, it's time to speak up!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Mike , from what I've learned about the W.D.F.W. you are right ! They have to request the publics comments BUT this department don't care what you think!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will say it seems good at least that they're going to make them open to multi-site HPAs not just one for every place you want to dredge, also there's a note about dredging being authorized for beaches. I don't think that was allowed before.

But I'm not saying it's anything close to good.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I read it is about dredgers, there is a way to defeat them, back in the mid 1990's my friend and partner decided to file for an HPA for all rivers on the west coast of Wa., because of that the WDFW changed the Gold book and rules for dredging, it was hilarious as he explained why he wanted to dredge on rivers that have no gold to the state reps of the area, I can still remember what he told me what he told them as they questioned him why "Look at the inside turn of that river, it has to have gold " that was Otis. An HPA was required back then.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
also SB5322 if you are in Washington you can comment on this bill (comments on the right side of page)
it will implement an NPDES with no dredging in rivers with ESA listed fish (like Oregon & Idaho)
https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5322&Year=2019&initiative=

you can watch the last hearing on this bill (starting at 1:07)
https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID...G3wIhkfG5DYVKHO2HML_3z8MoXLVhor_GfOGXWR77PA88
Thanks for the link.

1:11 she says "Nee-ah-pee-kwa River". Obviously th Napeequa, I always said it "Nah-pee-kwa" is that wrong or does she have no idea what she's talking about?
1:12:50 Go Matt Shea! They're not all completely ignorant.
1:13 Crystal Elliot anknowledges that dredging removes mercury from rivers, 1:14:20 doesn't even know what methylation is.

Matt Shea also mentioned these studies from WA Dep of Ecology
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/1103003.pdf
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/0903123.pdf

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah OwenT, beaches are open to dredging but I have never seen anyone do it and there are almost no locations that have both enough water safely available plus a good deposit of black sand nearby worth the effort, but I wish there was :icon_scratch:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLP has it up on their FB now (their main way to spread the word) "They are referencing the phony CA SEIR from 2011 in their documents!"

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just putting it out there, its says on the WDFW website that "Fish and Wildlife Commission will hold a public hearing Friday or Saturday April 5 or 6 at the Natural Resources Building in Olympia, WA., to listen to oral public testimony - check the agenda for specific day and time". That would be tomorrow or Saturday.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm working graveyard both days or I'd be there. We'll see what happens next.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also SB5322 if you are in Washington you can comment on this bill (comments on the right side of page)
it will implement an NPDES with no dredging in rivers with ESA listed fish (like Oregon & Idaho)
https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5322&Year=2019&initiative=

you can watch the last hearing on this bill (starting at 1:07)
https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID...G3wIhkfG5DYVKHO2HML_3z8MoXLVhor_GfOGXWR77PA88

Also Montana(ESA)....can't even sluice in some rivers= bull trout. That drove me to detecting instead and doing much better...…

Pretty sad what's been happening in this country...…...

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NPDES permit bill is dead. http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5322-S.E.pdf

from>>>> Resources Coalition Org
Ok people this is the only post you need to worry about when it comes to SB5322.....
The bill never made it off the floor by the cutoff date.
Therefore the bill is dead for the year and retains status for the next legislative year.
For those FEW that helped out being in Olympia and testifying, thank you very much

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Just putting it out there, its says on the WDFW website that "Fish and Wildlife Commission will hold a public hearing Friday or Saturday April 5 or 6 at the Natural Resources Building in Olympia, WA., to listen to oral public testimony - check the agenda for specific day and time". That would be tomorrow or Saturday.
YEP they are required by law to have these hearings BUT NOT REQUIRED TO LISTEN OR ACT FAVORABLY ON THE COMMENTS !

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YEP they are required by law to have these hearings BUT NOT REQUIRED TO LISTEN OR ACT FAVORABLY ON THE COMMENTS !

Yep....just another formality they have to go thru before they add more restrictions...……..

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another round of anti-dredging Bills coming up. AMRA posted this on Fbook (would reccomend following them).

Use the comment link on TU's page but make sure to change the message to "Vote NO"

Also comment directly on the bills on the WA state legislature website HB1261 SB5322

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I believed there was any hope of throwing the whole "non-dredging in rivers" out in Washington, I would say don't let your government "of the people by the people" screw you out of recreational gold activities like the have done in Oregon!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to several important public hearings...the agencies didn't even take notes. They just sat there and took a deserved beating from the majority of the respondents.

Believe you me, plenty of out of area people sent in written comments (in support of the proposed regulations). It was those that were included into the NEPA and "addressed".

Don't waste your breath giving testimony if your not submitting the same in snail mail.
The goal has already been set.

It's just a process designed for two things...
1.) Make the public FEEL like they are being heard.
2.) Serves as a way for them to fill out a required check box and insert a date.

Makes me sick to see the process occurring this way over and over.
My comments will from now on be limited to "you people disgust me..your a disgrace..here are my written comments, I expect a written response."

Mail in written comments!!! They WILL NOT be persuaded to change their minds or alter course.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread