Help Wanted - Good Prospect

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for an ambitious worker not afraid to take the lead.

Must be a good listener and able to follow directions.
Previous machete experience will be given preference.

49FA34BD-BB11-479D-8F72-FEC65344EB4D.jpeg

Will negotiate wages upon initial discovery.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people don't get poison oak,but that dosen't mean they cannot get it.eating it for immunity is a crazy thing to do and an old wives tale which can result in serious illness.A sprig off a branch was found in a 100 year old botany book and the active agent urushiol was still potent.When I was hard rock quartz vein gold sampling I had pretty good luck wherever the poison oak was growing..strange but true.

I've read that repeated exposure makes it worse not better.

All I know is I watched Dude eat it. His son is a tree guy and totally imune too. The natives used to eat them. There is a tincture. It also seems like people who grew up in the foothills and have had several decent exposure react less to it later.

The worse I have ever got it was from wet root mud water... and digging in the roots detecting.

I do the same thing now and more often. However I get minimal reaction now.

There was a pill with minimal side. It has been studied. By the coast gaurd even. https://www.jacionline.org/article/0021-8707(59)90082-6/pdf

I'm not eatin poison oak leaves though

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that repeated exposure makes it worse not better.

All I know is I watched Dude eat it. His son is a tree guy and totally imune too. The natives used to eat them. There is a tincture. It also seems like people who grew up in the foothills and have had several decent exposure react less to it later.

The worse I have ever got it was from wet root mud water... and digging in the roots detecting.

I do the same thing now and more often. However I get minimal reaction now.

There was a pill with minimal side. It has been studied. By the coast gaurd even. https://www.jacionline.org/article/0021-8707(59)90082-6/pdf

I'm not eatin poison oak leaves though

The pill these days is prednisone (steroid) you have to ramp into it and ramp off of it in order to prevent heart damage. Taken prednisone many times over the years for poison oak exposure (job hazard). Better alternative is to avoid it, which I'm pretty good at doing these days.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
She makes for a pretty good Lumber Jill though and can handle a chainsaw! (LOL)

Katie and Saw.jpg

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people don't get poison oak,but that dosen't mean they cannot get it.eating it for immunity is a crazy thing to do and an old wives tale which can result in serious illness.A sprig off a branch was found in a 100 year old botany book and the active agent urushiol was still potent.When I was hard rock quartz vein gold sampling I had pretty good luck wherever the poison oak was growing..strange but true.

I read a article written by a guy who claim that some Indian Tribe he was living with in the spring and summer for a research project ate poison ivy leaves early in the spring when the leaves first came out to build up an immunity.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiked AROUND the patch and found what I think is a digging tool.
Pointed on one end and chisel tipped on the other.
35D8AE00-8FC6-42E3-A429-28F76A41C4C3.jpeg

I like finding these types of tools.
Figure 1900-1910

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that one of those fuel injected Husky saws?

Sort of. It is an "autotune" which automatically adjust the carburetor. I like the feature, but not the saw. The dealer told me it was a "disposable chainsaw" and he is right. It has had a lot of issues with vibration, but really us just plain underpowered.

In the latter respect, it is my own fault as it is only a $750 chainsaw, where as my Stihl 461 is a $1100 saw, but I had just run over my Stihl accidentally with my skidder, so the idea of paying $1100 and mashing another one did not seem like a great idea. But there are not words strong enough in the English language that I can type that states how bad I hate the Husky.

But Stihl has a new 500 coming out, and that saw is 100% fuel injected, so I will wait for that to come out next year and just make due for now. But being sick, I do not log as hard as I used too.

Here is a closer picture of it.

Katie Holding Chainsaw.jpg

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was a saw? :laughing7:

Someone mentioned Katie being in "shorts", so I added the second picture of the chainsaw because it is a close-up of the chainsaw, but also proves Katie was wearing a miniskirt, and not shorts.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hiked AROUND the patch and found what I think is a digging tool.
Pointed on one end and chisel tipped on the other.
View attachment 1695675

I like finding these types of tools.
Figure 1900-1910

I do not believe that is a digging tool.

We have them here in Maine, and they still can be bought, but what we have, are Log Dogs.

We use them to hold down a round log, typically used when logs are being squared up when using an adze. Two logs are laid down sideways on the dirt, then the log to be squared is put on top of the two logs to get it out of the dirt. The Log Dogs are hammered into the two logs to keep the log secured.

These would have been used a lot in mining for preparing any timbers.

I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that is what it is.

17u0503s1.jpg

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read a article written by a guy who claim that some Indian Tribe he was living with in the spring and summer for a research project ate poison ivy leaves early in the spring when the leaves first came out to build up an immunity.

Sheep are immune to poison ivy because of their greasy wool. In fact sheep, which prefer weeds over grass, consider poison ivy as their favorite food. I have successfully grazed patches of poison ivy off my farm using sheep.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe that is a digging tool.

We have them here in Maine, and they still can be bought, but what we have, are Log Dogs.

We use them to hold down a round log, typically used when logs are being squared up when using an adze. Two logs are laid down sideways on the dirt, then the log to be squared is put on top of the two logs to get it out of the dirt. The Log Dogs are hammered into the two logs to keep the log secured.

These would have been used a lot in mining for preparing any timbers.

I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that is what it is.

View attachment 1695701

Well that looks the same! Thanks for the info.
That's a very specific use. I'm going with that.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the hand-hewn look in my own home, I used that axe-method to square up the beams for my timber-framing. I am not sure if you can see it in the photo, but these are hand hewn just like your picture depicts.

View attachment 1695824

I like your living room. I've got plans to someday have a small cabin in a similiar style.
Complete with an old gas cook stove and trash burner.

Did you harvest the timber yourself?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never got into poison ivy as far as I know but I am totally allergic to poison sumac. When I catch some I don't screw around with lotions. Spreading lotions can spread the oil that caused it in the first place. I'll take oral Benadryl antihistamine at twice the recommended dose of 25mg and four times the dose before I go to bed. Keep washing gentlely with detergent- not soap. It usually clears up in about a week.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never got into poison ivy as far as I know but I am totally allergic to poison sumac. When I catch some I don't screw around with lotions. Spreading lotions can spread the oil that caused it in the first place. I'll take oral Benadryl antihistamine at twice the recommended dose of 25mg and four times the dose before I go to bed. Keep washing gentlely with detergent- not soap. It usually clears up in about a week.

Washing with cold water and soap ASAP is important.
One place people forget about is their boot laces.
Wash your hands after putting on your boots.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One fateful night my son & his buddy thought they'd start a small warming fire. They gathered up a bunch of sticks and limbs and poof the fire lit right up. In the morning my son's eyes were nearly swollen shut and his throat was really raw. Took him to a doc, a couple of shots later we went back to the hotel where he recovered from inhaling Poison Oak smoke (particulates). Before that time he was just like me and could run through it, now he walks around it as he is allergic to it. Be careful out there as not only will the animals bite but sometimes the plants will as well............63bkpkr

Goats will also clear land of Whatever is growing on it save for big trees and their milk tastes great w/o allergic reactions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread