Looking for a publication, anyone have any ideas where to get this? Mineral Resources

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Bancroft library at UC- Berkeley has all mining publications..State library in Sacramento has similar..not the city but state library.Buying a book,try e-bay.There are also rare book dealers..one in the east bay I use to deal with.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a copy. I'll put it up in the Land Matters Library tomorrow.

That report and 115 other California mineral reports with more than 40,000 pages are also available on the California Treasures DVD. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The report Mineral Resources of Nevada County is up on the Land Matters Library now.

The specific report you are looking for is California Journal of Mines and Geology, Quarterly Chapters of State Mineralogists Report XXXVII. That's a 61 Mb download. You will find your report is on the 413th page of the 718 page PDF. The actual page number is 374.

The reason papers from that era in California are so hard to find is that they were published quarterly as part of the compilation of reports from the year. There is no individual report as you described, The Report 37 refers to the compilation for the year 1941 - not the individual report. The individual report has never been available alone in print for the public. Here's the explanation from the Journal:
As one means of offering tangible service to the mining public, the State Mineralogist for many years has issued an annual or a biennial report reviewing in detail the mines and mineral deposits of the various counties.
As a progressive step in advancing the interests of the mineral industry, and as permitting earlier distribution to the public, publication of the Annual Report of the State Mineralogist in the form of monthly chapters was begun in January, 1922, and continued until March, 1923. Owing to a lack of funds for printing this was changed to a quarterly publication, beginning in September, 1923. For the same reason, beginning with the January, 1924, issue, it became necessary to charge a subscription price.

There have also been several name changes to confuse the issue:
Beginning with the 1930 issues, the activities and progress of the Geologic Branch are recorded also in these quarterly chapters. The important part that geology plays in the economic development of our mineral resources is further recognized in the change of title from Mining in California to California Journal of Mines and Geology, beginning with the January, 1933, chapter.

Lucky for us these reports can be found in the Land Matters Library by simply searching for "RSM". There is also the advantage that all these reports on Land Matters can be text searched and text copied - unlike the originals.

Dig around in that particular compilation for reports by famous geologists like Olaf P. Jenkins who was the California chief geologist at the time. This was a time when mining was heavily promoted by California. A golden era it was!

These old geology and mining reports are gems from the past. The State and Federal governments are busy burying all these materials and they are becoming harder to find. Land Matters is doing their best to keep them easily available. Let us know if there are any particular reports you would like available. If they are already in my personal library I'll make sure Land Matters gets a copy for their library. If I don't have it Land Matters has Leigh who is a very talented researcher with a large set of resources to pull from. Land Matters can get it done. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never mind. Turns out that when myLandmatters came out I made a donation and have that DVD. I just needed someone to transfer the files to an SD card because my laptop doesn’t have a dvd drive. Thanks again Clay.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
You should also ask the California Department of Natural Resources and ask for the FREE publications catalog that you Cal. citizens already paid for!!!!!!! lots of info in these publications ! BUT Land Matters Is a great source also!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing it got put up on Land Matters as going into Berkeley could cause you to come down with a horrible disease of the mind, body and intestines called the "greenie gadzookswho'dathoughtaboutdoingthat" crap................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread