Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

tonofsteel

Dec 21, 2017
Gap of Canada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is not only for the Youtube views and I wouldn't say he is salting his pan either.

He has been buying/staking claims for awhile so it is probably just a cherry picked spot that is the best out of what he has in an area that took a lot of time and effort to find. (So a pocket and rare) He is also selling/flipping claims and his videos turned from informational to marketing. There is not a problem with trying to make a buck selling claims/paydirt but some find it to be an issue that he is not so upfront about what his intent is. The video is just part of a marketing funnel to generate interest in him and his claims and generate influence/persuasion to try drive sales.

Who wouldn't want to buy claims like that from a guy like him from just watching the videos?

I like Dan and his videos but I wish he was more upfront about what his purpose is. That video exemplifies the difference between educational/entertainment and marketing content. It is not realistic as to what you are going to typically find on the Fraser and a little misleading for the purposes of stealth marketing. Conveniently links to his claim sales page is not far from the video. Which again is not an issue if he was upfront that his channel is a marketing funnel and not just for entertaining videos. Trying to sell you without you even realizing it. I watched him for quite awhile until someone else pointed it out and I could understand why the content is the way it is.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Who wouldn't want to buy claims like that from a guy like him from just watching the videos?" :hello:

His back story and claim flipping. Make me believe it is kinda likely he would be tempted to salt.

I smell rotten Grayling.

But, yes with a Hibanker or sluice in a good spot you can get that much an hour.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a few statements I have heard over the years:

1. Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

2. If you have to ask, you already know the answer and just want it confirmed.

3. Follow the money.

I generally think people are good, and I generally believe that people tell the truth, but I also believe that what they do NOT SAY is almost important as what they do say. When money is involved, fairly big money, it is easy to leave out a few things to hedge a persons best interest.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Dan joined the forum recently, maybe he'll chime in, or you could pm him. I really like his earlier videos, the ones where he was teaching kids that prospecting class at school, pretty cool and he had some other instructional videos he made around that time. They're a little different now.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few statements I have heard over the years:

1. Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

2. If you have to ask, you already know the answer and just want it confirmed.

3. Follow the money.

I generally think people are good, and I generally believe that people tell the truth, but I also believe that what they do NOT SAY is almost important as what they do say. When money is involved, fairly big money, it is easy to leave out a few things to hedge a persons best interest.

That's a good one there!

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching him for years and he has shared a vast wealth of information in all this time for FREE!!

I hope he gets stinkin filthy rich!!
Buy one of his claims to support his youtube channel! - Better than a T-shirt

Infact, he just replied to my comment on his video 4 hours ago..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He does have some good videos.

looking at his claim prices makes him seem pretty reasonable.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've followed him for a while and always felt like hes one of the honest ones, hes very dedicated. There are lots of questions surrounding others, Pioneer Pauly being at the top of my list. Hes is consistently finding really good gold, out there in a bath robe at times... I've heard he has a deal with a friend who has a really productive claim and some wonder if the gold is coming from there prior. The ground he works along with the gold he finds and where have always had me suspicious, seems way too good of ground for the effort put in, like its just some virgin creek the old timers never bothered with is how rich it seems, yet hes walking in to the area in a bath robe, idk..

Its really hard to say though, I try to give most the benefit of the doubt. The thing about youtube and gold mining and the community, the mining community is a salty bunch in general to please, everyone is a critic including myself sometimes. The more you find the more thumbs down, more negative comments and you can sense from the crowd they like to watch but don't like you. There are a lot of awesome viewers out there as well, gold just does something to some person it seems that's un explainable. I have people that follow me just to thumbs down my videos religiously. The funny thing is I don't claim to be anything special or better than the next guy, I'm not telling people how to do anything or talking like I'm a pro, I'm just sharing my journey but some people can't stand it for god knows why and that's just too bad I guess.

You wouldn't believe some of the crazy comments I've gotten on some of my videos, it scary to see how the wheels spin in some peoples heads just from watching me do my thing. Mostly its always people calling you stupid for not having equipment they think you should, or not digging over there or dang near anything i've heard it all..

I make a small income from my videos as do the rest of them, some much more than others. Therefore you have to put yourself out there in a way that grabs attention to get the initial view, but I always try to keep my content honest to my thumbnail. Honestly the thumbnail and title are the most important thing, without that you can have an amazing video and no one will watch it. Youtube algorithms are a very tough crowd, i'll have videos growing like crazy and then they just die to almost nothing almost always, though for whatever reason they continue to push some videos steadily. Its very frustrating and confusing, Ive been told its just the algorithm at work.

Basically I say all this as I think in Dans situation hes just trying to stay relevant to the crowd, he puts out more videos than any other you tuber in this genre and that also seems to help with youtube suggesting your content. The more questionable the topic the more views generally, just gotta find the right title and thumb and stay true to it with the content. Hes does pretty good at balancing this out and staying honest in my opinion.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asmbandits…. I watched your last vid....I watched you throw your Reflex into the dirt. I would like to see you bunnyhop that Reflex over that flume cut. That would be pure gold.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too have been watching his stuff for years and I highly doubt he salts his pans. He seems like one of the most honest people on YouTube to me. The whole point of that series of videos he did about grams per hour using different techniques was to give an accurate, scientific representation of how each method compares. It wouldn't make sense for him to skew the results.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asmbandits…. I watched your last vid....I watched you throw your Reflex into the dirt. I would like to see you bunnyhop that Reflex over that flume cut. That would be pure gold.

An awesome example of my previous post.

Are you the same guy that just commented on that video that I should look in the Mojave Desert as its way richer than where I prospect?

I would have in my younger years no prob, I'm getting too old for that stuff these days.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, anything is possible!

In Alaska I'll be prospecting a spot that is reported to yield 5 oz per hour with a pan. It's a spot where the creek backs up and slacks the current. With the slack current, it'll drop all the gold right there. That said, it will more than likely be a relatively small but rich deposit. The rest of the stream might produce 1-2 oz per day at most.

I wouldn't doubt that there's some creek out there somewhere that you could stick a shovel in and pull out half a shovel full of gold. But that's generally going to be a very small pocket. But who knows what the Lord has put out there to let us find. Look at the nickel mine in Australia.

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC think that test run is on what he calls his pickerton claim because of the pickers he had found there. and while I think that seeing gold is intresting I think that over focusing on the gold dust isn't the whole point. his greatest vidio I have felt was the " highbanker build" right at the start he says hes built three didn't need another and so simple went over the details of his latest highbanker and gave his veiws on choices to be made. the first thing that struck me is I didn't have to sit through watching a drill bit drill. honestly I have drilled throusands of holes fun doing it . like watching paint dry to watch others do it. still not sure what he means by " plastic wood" at the top of his feed box, but loves the amount and speed of information given. were I to bet( positive) on his honesty I wouldn't loose a second of sleep wondering if I was wrong. wish more people were like Dan Hurd.

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captian Nemo " ther rest of the stream might produce one to two ounces a day at most. from your lips to gods ears if I could consistantly do that I likely would not mow another lawn again. [grin]

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, anything is possible!

In Alaska I'll be prospecting a spot that is reported to yield 5 oz per hour with a pan. It's a spot where the creek backs up and slacks the current. With the slack current, it'll drop all the gold right there. That said, it will more than likely be a relatively small but rich deposit. The rest of the stream might produce 1-2 oz per day at most.

I wouldn't doubt that there's some creek out there somewhere that you could stick a shovel in and pull out half a shovel full of gold. But that's generally going to be a very small pocket. But who knows what the Lord has put out there to let us find. Look at the nickel mine in Australia.

Anything is possible I agree but I like to think along the lines of what is plausible personally. 5 ounces an hour!!! What are you still doing here!

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anything is possible I agree but I like to think along the lines of what is plausible personally. 5 ounces an hour!!! What are you still doing here!

Again, I think the answer lies in what they are not saying. They are here because they know they cannot possibly maintain that level of production.

Myself, I see four types of people;

Mining the Miners (1): These are the people that dupe and exploit those with gold fever, or those who are new at the game. This is nothing new, but they are the ones who inflate prices, and deliberately out to scam people out of their money due to gold-clouded glasses. They are about as low as those that prey on the elderly and children in my opinion. I really dislike con-men.

Mining the Miners (2): These are good guys that realize more money can be made selling pick axes then mining, and so the provide products to miners and such. It is not me; I like being outside, but for those that are most interested in making money, they might tweak the truth here or there to make a little extra money, but for the most part provide a good product or service.

Gold Hounds: I would say most people are like this. Just loving the fact that they can get outside and find gold and put it in those little vials. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

Prospectors: I am not sure what the true definition is, but these are people like me. I do not give a darn for the actual gold, I just want to find where it is. Is it in this stream> Great, now I will move on to another stream I think it might be. I am super-secretive on where Maine's new gold district is, but it is only because there is a possibility...with the silliness that gold-fever could bring, that if droves of people came here, they would ruin the hunt. No, better to chart my areas down, and upon my death, the locations can be confirmed. My wife does not even know the places I am finding gold.
…..

There are sub-sets of these people, and some are both say Gold Hounds and Prospectors, but I recognize they may be different from me. It does not make them bad people. For instance, those gold hounds that want to grab all the shiny that they can. It is not me, but I do not hold it against them.

I do not like the first description, the con-men, only because as a producer: farmer, logger and aggregate contractor; being the first in line to produce a resource typically means the hardest work for the least amount of money. Farmers, loggers, and miners are constantly exploited. It is disgusting, but as my Uncle always said, "When all is said and done, and the coffin goes in the ground, it is the farmer who was the richest man of all." That could be applied to mining too, because abundant life is not about money, it is about living.

Incidentally, this is biblical. Psalms 73 shows this by describing those that exploit the innocent, then the last half describes why it does not matter. There is something greater than gold.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said it is very possible. once you sample and find a good streak or concentration it can get really good.

I don't make videos often for the reason Asmbandit states. Mainly the comments. Heck I made a youtube channel so I could share vids here.
After one video I get crap talking... it was one of the recurring trolls but, still. Makes me not that interested in sharing.

This is what I do. I'm not gonna respond to every dope who gets out once a month and tries to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

I would never be skeptical of a guys take in a video until I see fab finds every time ..or I find out they are trying to sell a claim..

For now I'll give Dan the benefit of the doubt.

I want to mention as far as Asmbandits integrity.

The day we went out together. I had been sampling the day before. I didn't empty my snuffer.

When I cleaned out after sluicing that day. I told Gerry that I had a two day snuffer. So, he wouldn't think it was my days take. We barely even dug.

He did video the pan because it was a nice one. He made a Tom Massey joke. We both chuckled.

He did not put it in the vid and try to claim it was the total clean out.

I wouldn't have faked it neither will he. Good production there. :icon_thumright:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I think the answer lies in what they are not saying. They are here because they know they cannot possibly maintain that level of production.

Myself, I see four types of people;

Mining the Miners (1): These are the people that dupe and exploit those with gold fever, or those who are new at the game. This is nothing new, but they are the ones who inflate prices, and deliberately out to scam people out of their money due to gold-clouded glasses. They are about as low as those that prey on the elderly and children in my opinion. I really dislike con-men.

Mining the Miners (2): These are good guys that realize more money can be made selling pick axes then mining, and so the provide products to miners and such. It is not me; I like being outside, but for those that are most interested in making money, they might tweak the truth here or there to make a little extra money, but for the most part provide a good product or service.

Gold Hounds: I would say most people are like this. Just loving the fact that they can get outside and find gold and put it in those little vials. There is nothing wrong with this at all.

Prospectors: I am not sure what the true definition is, but these are people like me. I do not give a darn for the actual gold, I just want to find where it is. Is it in this stream> Great, now I will move on to another stream I think it might be. I am super-secretive on where Maine's new gold district is, but it is only because there is a possibility...with the silliness that gold-fever could bring, that if droves of people came here, they would ruin the hunt. No, better to chart my areas down, and upon my death, the locations can be confirmed. My wife does not even know the places I am finding gold.
…..

There are sub-sets of these people, and some are both say Gold Hounds and Prospectors, but I recognize they may be different from me. It does not make them bad people. For instance, those gold hounds that want to grab all the shiny that they can. It is not me, but I do not hold it against them.

I do not like the first description, the con-men, only because as a producer: farmer, logger and aggregate contractor; being the first in line to produce a resource typically means the hardest work for the least amount of money. Farmers, loggers, and miners are constantly exploited. It is disgusting, but as my Uncle always said, "When all is said and done, and the coffin goes in the ground, it is the farmer who was the richest man of all." That could be applied to mining too, because abundant life is not about money, it is about living.

Incidentally, this is biblical. Psalms 73 shows this by describing those that exploit the innocent, then the last half describes why it does not matter. There is something greater than gold.

What about the sub set that go out to dig gold for the sake of finding it...and selling it. They exist too. :headbang:

Can't forget about them.

As far as mining the miners.
There are the hypsters...They have short life cycles. If you leave the chute. Telling everyone how your new widget is going to take over everyone elses widget.

It is very likely you will not be widgeting very long.

You have to supply the demand... not tell customers they should demand the supply.

Then there are the tool salesman. You don't have to tweak the truth about a good tool.

Last edited:

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering how many cubic yards of material goes through a highbanker in 1 hour ? johnnysau

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread