Prospecting in my basement?

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?
Maybe...
I’ve lived here for 20 years. My damn well filter always plugging up with sediment.
Always looks like gold specs in it. Ever thought much about it.
But a recent purchase of a property with a nice stream got me thinking, there HAS
To be gold in that stream. Small water falls, big boulders ect.
So I found and joined this site. I’ll be buying a pan kit and soon Enough a sluice box to play with in the river.
Then I realize I need to change my well filter again.
It’s black sand. Littered with gold specks. As always.
What’s the best way to separate this POSSIBLE flour gold?
If it is gold, Ive got a constant supply of black sand concentrations. Maybe a quart a month from my almost 400’ deep well.
Dammitt! I’ve e got the fever!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0CF8EC20-A338-46B5-8A79-B53C72FBB702.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in Massachusetts, not the most famous place to find, but I’ll be ordering a pan kit soon and I’ll be researching techniques in the meantime!

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
A member of my club has a friend in MA. with the same problem as you. I believe the well does produce gold. I pan in Northern MA sometimes. Found a few specks.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it might be a decent problem to have! There must be 100 of these I’ve dumped out over the years…

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Pan it very carefully and use a few drops of Jet-Dry or non-sudsing detergent to alleviate surface tension. Warm water panning helps too as the viscosity of water goes down with higher temperature.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really?
Maybe...
I’ve lived here for 20 years. My damn well filter always plugging up with sediment.
Always looks like gold specs in it. Ever thought much about it.
But a recent purchase of a property with a nice stream got me thinking, there HAS
To be gold in that stream. Small water falls, big boulders ect.
So I found and joined this site. I’ll be buying a pan kit and soon Enough a sluice box to play with in the river.
Then I realize I need to change my well filter again.
It’s black sand. Littered with gold specks. As always.
What’s the best way to separate this POSSIBLE flour gold?
If it is gold, Ive got a constant supply of black sand concentrations. Maybe a quart a month from my almost 400’ deep well.
Dammitt! I’ve e got the fever!!

Don't procrastinate....get a gold pan. Using one is as good a way as any to test what you have to see if it is gold. To make it easier to pan get a set of 30, 50, and 100 mesh screen sieves and pan each size portion separately. When gold is panned with equal sized material it is over three times as heavy in comparison to other particles it's size so it is much easier to separate by panning. One thing to know is that gold still looks like gold whether viewed in full or shaded light. If what you are seeing blanks out or changes color in the shade then it is most likely not gold.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome tips! Just ordered a Garrett pan kit on eBay. I checked the vendors section it didnt turn anything up. (I tried)
Jet dry in the kitchen.
Mesh...... I have some screen printing stuff, not sure on the size though?
Might have to wing it, we will see next weekend hopefully

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look up pioneer and camel stacking screens. They are in 4 and 6" diameter with various mesh sizes available. The 12" bucket screens are overkill for all but sizes 1/8 mesh and larger.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up pioneer and camel stacking screens. They are in 4 and 6" diameter with various mesh sizes available. The 12" bucket screens are overkill for all but sizes 1/8 mesh and larger.

The sizes are microns? If so I have 5 gallon bags in 25,50,73,90 and 120! I didn’t think the materials would be so small!?!?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a magnet over the black sands to pull out all the Iron.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’d save a whole lot of work!
Great ideas, thanks

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet! Thanks again.
I’ll use my 120 micron bag for now just to get some type of classification for my practice runs.
I really appreciate all the help!
That is really small mesh. If you have a 30 mesh it may be easier to check more material fast. You can check for a little bit bigger pieces too. You can still see the tiny stuff too. But will need to screen it smaller to actually extract it cleanly.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really small mesh. If you have a 30 mesh it may be easier to check more material fast. You can check for a little bit bigger pieces too. You can still see the tiny stuff too. But will need to screen it smaller to actually extract it cleanly.
I’m just going to wing it for now, find out if it is gold. If so, I’ll invest a better way to clean it up.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always run the Brightness on my phone really low to conserve the battery, I just turned it up, and magnified the photo...
Now I’m excited! D6DF76EA-86AE-489C-AE29-BE501EB31870.png

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And DONT get rid of the material if your not up to snuff on your panning ability ! Get some help with learning how to pan that small stuff ! And good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread