Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tick season. Makes me cring just writing that. In the spring, it's the tiny nymphs that apearantly can even be blown onto you by the wind. They hang out on the tips of grass along the trail. Not all, but some carry diseases. Not just Lyme. I would like to start a discussion where:

1) Those that have been successful in preventing ticks on clothing and skin.

2) Those that have prevented becoming sick with medical treatment.

3) Those that know about treatment in the medical field.

4) Those living with an ailment from a tick bite.

I realize this last one may be hard for those that are ill from ticks. I am truly sorry for what has happened to you. Ticks may be the most dangerous critter we face outside. It would be a stark lesson for us all to hear your stories to encourage us all to use the best possible preventitive measures. Some folks need motivation (me included). At least, we could share our successes, our stories, and maybe have all the ways to do this right in one discussion. Maybe it could save someone from getting sick or even, save a life.
Ok, so, I have never been sick from a bite but have been bitten several times over the years. Only recently, like last year did I even know of the dangers. I knew about Lyme, but, in reading about Lyme, I read about several other very dangerous diseases. I think I saw 5. Holy cow, if I had known that, I would have been very careful and gone to get checked! Two Toes recently did a video on critters to watch out for. He deemed the tick to be the most concerning. He goes to get checked if he gets bit by one. He's had the "bull's eye" mark and was successful in treatment. With this being said. It would be invaluable to have your stories on this topic here in one discussion. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! TG

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it holds any merit but Ive been told fresh rosemary repels ticks. I have a bunch in my yard and am going to give it a try this season.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if it holds any merit but Ive been told fresh rosemary repels ticks. I have a bunch in my yard and am going to give it a try this season.
Thanks for contributing Asmbandits,
Sounds risky! Let us know the results!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
on my claim I spray down around the camp and trail down to the river with Ortho home-defence bug spray.
I have one trail that is a main deer crossing, I get a tick on me every time.
my cousin brought some women up to camp mostly drinking, he pulled a tick off her sweeter,
when she saw that she had all her clothes off in about 3 seconds.
Hey winner58,
So, we've discovered one benifit!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you can find it, cedar oil spray will keep them away
I read up a little on this, seems you can spray it in the yard too. There's a video of some guy with the cedar oil bug spray on his arm with a tick walking across it. It didn't bite but was walking around searching. He put it on a pencil and said it slowed it's movements and seemd weak in climbing within 5 minutes then died within an hour. I'm thinking it works to a degree. But permethrin is still the fastest. Maybe on the skin would be safer than deet as the tick really was looking but not setteling on a dinner menu. Maybe, after it dies I'll put it on my wife's sweater....

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a quote from the website on Cedar Oil.

Cedar oil controls different insects*in different ways.*It is*known to be toxic to fleas, ticks and mosquitoes specifically, which are the common pests we'd love to get rid of. However, many a pesky insect beyond ticks are turned away by the natural effluvium of cedar. Another perk is that it's completely non-toxic to humans and pets...

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is interesting...

Permethrin*is over 2,250 times more toxic to*ticks*than*humans. Put directly on the*skin, typically less than 1% of active ingredient is absorbed into the body; DEET can be absorbed at over 20 times that rate. Exposure risk of permethrin-treated clothing to toddlers is 27 times below the EPA's Level of Concern (LOC).

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a study on Permethrin treated clothes. Note that tick bites were reduced and also, subjects were not using anything on the skin. Using something on the skin would un doubtably help. Still, a bite is possible, but the risk is greatly reduced.

Tick Bite Protection With Permethrin-Treated Summer Clothing

Insect repellents represent one of the first lines of defense against attacks by blood feeding ticks and the diseases they can transmit. The most common products contain DEET and are applied to skin. An alternative personal-use repellent strategy is to apply repellent or toxicant products (usually permethrin) to clothing or other fabrics rather than directly on the skin. This method has many positive features, including that chemicals are not applied to skin, potentially reducing chemical exposure as well as increasing the duration of efficacy, which can last through multiple launderings.

During a two-day, indoor, controlled study we compared the number of tick bites on individuals wearing either permethrin-treated or untreated summer weight clothing (T-shirt, shorts, socks and sneakers). Colony-reared, pathogen-free nymphal blacklegged ticks were placed on the left shoe, right leg above the knee and left arm just above the elbow of 15 human volunteers wearing untreated (no repellent) outfits or outfits treated with permethrin either commercially (Insect Shield) or using a*do-at-home treatment kit*(Sawyer Products). At the end of the 2-hour test period the number and location of ticks attached to subjects' skin were recorded. On the following day the same volunteers were placed in different treatment groups, given new outfits and subjected to the same tick challenge and activity regimen as the previous day. Regardless of the permethrin application method, subjects wearing outfits treated with permethrin received 3.36 times (odds ratio=0.298 with a 95%CI (0.221,0.401)) fewer tick bites than subjects wearing outfits with no repellent. However, the success of permethrin- treated clothing to reduce tick bites varied depending on the specific treated article of clothing. Only 1 (0.5%) tick bite was received (on the leg related to where ticks were applied to the shoes) among all subjects wearing permethrin-treated sneakers and socks compared to a 27% (n=100) tick attachment rate on subjects wearing untreated sneakers and socks. Subjects wearing permethrin treated shorts and T-shirts were 5 and 2.2 times, respectively, less likely to receive a tick bite in areas related to those specific garments than subjects wearing untreated shorts and T-shirts. On the second day of the study only, ticks attached to subjects were classified as alive or dead prior to removal. From five subjects wearing untreated outfits, 97.6% (82 of 84) of attached nymphs were classified as alive while, significantly fewer (22.6%, 17 of 75) attached nymphs were alive on the 10 subjects wearing treated outfits.

These results confirm findings from studies demonstrating the effectiveness of permethrin-treated military weight clothing for protecting against tick bites, but importantly, extend the observation to summer weight clothing more likely to be worn by people during the summer when tick activity and the potential for tick-borne pathogen transmission is greatest.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can claim owners use this method?

Area-Wide Tick Control : An Opportunity For Lyme Disease Prevention

For over a decade, Narragansett has reported one of the highest incidence rates for Lyme disease in Rhode Island. Even last year when ticks were less abundant, 1 out of every 400 residents suffered a newly identified case. Many more were likely infected but remained unconfirmed. Reducing tick abundance, especially in residential areas, is the key to disease prevention, but neither the state nor any town in Rhode Island have yet to provide for any kind of tick reduction program. Until now, tick-borne disease prevention has been solely the responsibility of individuals.

Many strategies for tick control are available but most are at the scale of individual properties. Small-scale trials using a novel strategy developed by the USDA called the '4-poster' were recently completed in 5 northeastern states including Rhode Island. Over a 5-year period, abundance of nymphal deer ticks, the stage most responsible for disease transmission, was reduced by over 50% across a 2 square mile area. Now, with funding made available through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the town of Narragansett has the opportunity to put this technology into action on a town-wide scale, to test if this device can reduce Lyme disease incidence.

The '4-poster' device*
White-tailed deer are the essential hosts for adult deer ticks; without deer, deer tick populations simple would not exist. However, eliminating deer is too costly to implement and maintain in most afflicted communities, and even talk of eliminating deer usually evokes high levels of public controversy. The '4-poster' device targets the ticks that feed on deer without harming the animal, and has the potential for delivering the broadest-scale impact on tick-borne disease risk while requiring the lowest level of community engagement.

How it works*
The '4-poster' has a central bin filled with corn (to attract deer) that trickles into specially designed feeding troughs surrounded by a pair of foam posts at either end of the device. An Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved acaricide, to kill ticks, is applied weekly to the foam posts by a licensed pesticide applicator. Deer rub their head against these posts while attempting to get the corn, applying the acaricide directly to the deer's head and neck, which is where most ticks feed. Most of the ticks are killed before having a chance to reproduce.

Is it safe?*
The tick-killing chemical permethrin is commonly used in many households on pets ... even for controlling head lice on children. For this use, it is completely contained on the foam posts and deer; pesticide is not sprayed into the environment. Additionally, each device must be located at least 100 yards from any resident, apartment or playground, and be clearly marked with appropriate precautionary statements. Moreover, there is no evidence to suggest that the small amount of corn deer consume from these devices influences their natural population.

For further information or to inquire about participating in this study please contact:*
Office of Community Tick Control Research*
University of Rhode Island*
9 East Alumni Ave., Kingston, RI 02881*

4posteratwork.jpeg

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And this may be coming soon. It would really be a great prevention.

peptide chemist Dr. Keykavous Parang of URI's Department of Biomedical Sciences and Dr. Lenny Moise of URI's Institute for Immunology and Informatics.

RI-STAC funds will help the team develop proof of concept and early-stage prototypes for an anti-tick vaccine and transdermal delivery system. Prior work has shown that ticks use molecules found in their saliva to manipulate host immune defenses, helping the tick to steal blood, and in the process, transmit pathogens. The concentrations of most of those bioactive salivary molecules are extremely low and go unrecognized by the host. However, in concentrations more than a tick's bite worth, some of these molecules stimulate a protective response in certain hosts, including humans. The phenomenon is called acquired tick resistance. The researchers expect to be able to identify some of the most potent tick salivary proteins and turn them into vaccines that can induce acquired tick resistance in people. "An early phase anti-tick vaccine would simply make the vaccinated person begin to itch after a tick latches on and starts to bite", stated Mather. "The itch reaction will allow the tick bite victim to feel, locate and remove the tick before it has a chance to transmit any pathogens" he explained.

As the work progresses, the team expects to find a cocktail of tick salivary proteins that also induces powerful immune responses around the tick's mouthparts as they are embedded in the skin. "In preliminary studies using animal models" Mather said, "even if infected ticks bite and begin to feed, there's an immune response that the disease-causing microbes seem to get caught up in, and that prevents infection in the host".

While the STAC grant is expected to provide a proof of concept for an anti-tick vaccine strategy, the team hopes that future research will allow them to discover salivary peptides shared by species of ticks around the world that can induce this kind of protective response. "Wouldn't it be terrific if you could slap on a bandage-sized patch for a week, and then be protected against tick-transmitted diseases in Rhode Island, or Germany, or even Pakistan", Mather asked.

In assembling the team of collaborators, Mather said he was very impressed with the Isis Biopolymer programmable transdermal patch system, and with EpiVax's unique immuno-informatics tools for rapidly screening hundreds of tick proteins to evaluate them as potential vaccine candidates. The programmable patch can mimic the natural salivation-sucking cycle that ticks use while feeding, all while delivering synthetic peptides, developed by Dr. Parang, into the skin where ticks naturally feed. Dr. Moise's lab will aid the vaccine screening process by testing candidate peptides for their ability to induce immunity.

"When I started the search for an anti-tick vaccine", Mather said, "I just didn't know such things were possible, much less that they could be found right in our own state". The Rhode Island Science and Technology Council grants program aims to encourage such home-grown research initiatives that then stimulate entrepreneurism.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And this from the CDC...

Use*Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellentsExternal*containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (OLE), para-menthane-diol (PMD), or 2-undecanone. EPA’s helpful*search toolExternal*can help you find the product that best suits your needs. Always follow product instructions.

Do not use insect repellent on babies younger than 2 months old.

Do not use products containing OLE or PMD on children under 3 years old.

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the past 5 years I have been treating my hunting clothes with permethrin. Have not had a tick on me during deer season in that time. For the times I have had ticks on me, I have usually felt the tick crawling on me in time to get it off before it was embedded. In my life I’ve probably had 10 ticks embedded. The first bunch were hit and miss on successful intact removal. The methods ranged from successfully gripping it between thumb and forefinger and pulling, to trying tweezers right up against the head, which more often than not left the body shredded and the head still embedded.

A hot match to the body killed the tick but left it embedded.

I have not contracted Lyme disease and have always been on the lookout for the bullseye rash. A few times with unsuccessful extractions I’ve had a Dr. take a look.

Then I heard a recommendation for the Tick Twister removal tool. It works as advertised. I’ve removed 10 or more ticks from myself, animals and family members. It works just as effectively as the advertising videos show. I highly recommend getting one or a few for your FAK.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ca. its the Larva and nymphs that can transmit disease if they have it.

It does not take 48 hours either.

You'll notice if you harrass them too much before plucking them a sudden burning pain.

Thats an enzyme they barf into you.. Cool huh.

Thats why I strip and check right away.

I wear muck boots only as long as the water is too cold to stand in for extended periods.

Tuck your boots into your socks. tuck in your shirt. When you get out of the bush do a check.

The few I have got were when I waited a while to change or clean up after yard work.

I have been in the woods a few times.. looked down and had several small ones climbing each leg.

One right on my chest. the other under my armpit.

use good tweezers and make sure you get the head out.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks mofugly13!
I checked out the tool. It looks like the real deal. This is what I was hoping for. New effective methods. I appreciate your suggestion!
I'm getting a set. It seems to have been around for years. Everyone is giving it 5 stars. Also, there's great advice in the reviews. One thing I didn't think of is to never squeeze the tick. It can inject you and then you really could get sick.
Here's a great way to really know if the tick has a disease. Save the tick and send it to be checked! I hope this link works.

https://igenex.com

https://www.tickreport.com

Also, Picardin is said to be as effective as Deet with a wider range of insects to repel. Has anyone experienced success with this? I know DEET is the gold standard but, it can damage synthetics. Stockings for example, lol. However, I really don't want to gamble. Either this stuff really works as well as DEET or I'm sticking with DEET for now.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Ca. its the Larva and nymphs that can transmit disease if they have it.

It does not take 48 hours either.

You'll notice if you harrass them too much before plucking them a sudden burning pain.

Thats an enzyme they barf into you.. Cool huh.

Thats why I strip and check right away.

I wear muck boots only as long as the water is too cold to stand in for extended periods.

Tuck your boots into your socks. tuck in your shirt. When you get out of the bush do a check.

The few I have got were when I waited a while to change or clean up after yard work.

I have been in the woods a few times.. looked down and had several small ones climbing each leg.

One right on my chest. the other under my armpit.

use good tweezers and make sure you get the head out.
Thanks Gold washer. I've hears that "blousing" the pants is why the military does this (couldnt they just say tuck the pants, sounds kinda girly for the military). To prevent bugs from crawling up the legs. I've used small bunji cords to prevent yellow jackets from crawling up. I don't trust it's effevtive enough for the nymphs. Tape seems like an optiin, but socks seem more practical. I was reading how folks were warning about squeezing the tick. I suppose you are not doing that. Are you using tweezers just like the tick twister to pull and twist counter clockwise at the base of the head? It was said that there's barbs at the mouth that fold up when twisting counter clockwise and allow it to be removed whole.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
List and discription of tick born diseases from the CDC website.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html

In the United States, some ticks carry pathogens that can cause human disease, including:

Anaplasmosis*is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Babesiosis*is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the U.S. are caused by*Babesia microti.*Babesia microti*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the northeast and upper midwest.

Borrelia mayonii*infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the upper midwestern United States. It has been found in blacklegged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) in Minnesota and Wisconsin.*Borrelia mayonii*is a new species and is the only species besides*B. burgdorferi*known to cause*Lyme disease*in North America.

Borrelia miyamotoi*infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the U.S. It is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and has a range similar to that of Lyme disease.

Bourbon virus*infection has been identified in a limited number patients in the Midwest and southern United States. At this time, we do not know if the virus might be found in other areas of the United States.

Colorado tick fever*is caused by a virus transmitted by the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni). It occurs in the the Rocky Mountain states at elevations of 4,000 to 10,500 feet.

Ehrlichiosis*is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and eastern U.S.

Heartland virus*cases have been identified in the Midwestern and southern United States. Studies suggest that Lone Star ticks can*transmit the virus. It is unknown if the virus may be found in other areas of the U.S.

Lyme disease*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Powassan disease*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and the groundhog tick (Ixodes cookei). Cases have been reported primarily from northeastern states and the Great Lakes region.

Rickettsia parkeri*rickettsiosis*is transmitted to humans by the Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).

Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF)*is transmitted by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.

STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness)*is transmitted via bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the southeastern and eastern U.S.

Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF)*is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and vacation homes.

Tularemia*is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.

364D rickettsiosis*(Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis*ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Second thought, that would be very warm and on a hot day, probably not going to happen. Maybe during the months that are cool enough. How about two layers and the outer layer treated with Permethrin?

Wow! I don't know if I like the idea of using a chemical that sounds as dangerous as the tick bite. My wife and I both were diagnosed with Lyme disease. We both sought treatment early and were tested to be free from it later. My wife had a terrible problem with arthritis since then. I don't know if it is a side effect of the Lyme disease or not. Deer come in the yard frequently at night and we have a dog also. We keep him treated with the pill for fleas and ticks and he doesn't have them stay on him for very long. The tiny little deer tick are very plentiful in our area. They have grown with the deer population. When I was a young fellow we did not have deer in our part of the county and the only ticks you would find were the larger dog ticks. It is the deer ticks that carry the Lyme disease. Check yourself every day for the tiny little buggers. Your dog will bring them in the house.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! I don't know if I like the idea of using a chemical that sounds as dangerous as the tick bite. My wife and I both were diagnosed with Lyme disease. We both sought treatment early and were tested to be free from it later. My wife had a terrible problem with arthritis since then. I don't know if it is a side effect of the Lyme disease or not. Deer come in the yard frequently at night and we have a dog also. We keep him treated with the pill for fleas and ticks and he doesn't have them stay on him for very long. The tiny little deer tick are very plentiful in our area. They have grown with the deer population. When I was a young fellow we did not have deer in our part of the county and the only ticks you would find were the larger dog ticks. It is the deer ticks that carry the Lyme disease. Check yourself every day for the tiny little buggers. Your dog will bring them in the house.
Thank you for posting Haldean,
Do you have documentation to back up your claim that DEET is as dangerous as a tick bite. DEET is the most studied insect repellent in history. It's been around since the 1940s. Please let me know if you have that. If not, or please do not post statements if you do not have factual evidence to back them. We are trying to place the best and most correct information on one discussion. I'm asking you to please, either provide the factual evidence or to please, edit out your comment. Weather you feel comfortable using DEET or not is an issue for some, however, making a statement like that on this discussion will undermine the credibility of this thread. DEET, when used with care and in a proper the manor, has been proven since 1940 to be safe and the most effective repellant in the world. I find it very difficult to believe (key word, believe, which requires one to trust without actually knowing in the case of scientific theories) that DEET is more dangerous than every pathogen that a tick is capable of transmitting. I'm requesting you as a gentleman, to keep this discussion factual. And please continue to contribute to this discussion. Regards, Tahoegold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread