Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tick season. Makes me cring just writing that. In the spring, it's the tiny nymphs that apearantly can even be blown onto you by the wind. They hang out on the tips of grass along the trail. Not all, but some carry diseases. Not just Lyme. I would like to start a discussion where:

1) Those that have been successful in preventing ticks on clothing and skin.

2) Those that have prevented becoming sick with medical treatment.

3) Those that know about treatment in the medical field.

4) Those living with an ailment from a tick bite.

I realize this last one may be hard for those that are ill from ticks. I am truly sorry for what has happened to you. Ticks may be the most dangerous critter we face outside. It would be a stark lesson for us all to hear your stories to encourage us all to use the best possible preventitive measures. Some folks need motivation (me included). At least, we could share our successes, our stories, and maybe have all the ways to do this right in one discussion. Maybe it could save someone from getting sick or even, save a life.
Ok, so, I have never been sick from a bite but have been bitten several times over the years. Only recently, like last year did I even know of the dangers. I knew about Lyme, but, in reading about Lyme, I read about several other very dangerous diseases. I think I saw 5. Holy cow, if I had known that, I would have been very careful and gone to get checked! Two Toes recently did a video on critters to watch out for. He deemed the tick to be the most concerning. He goes to get checked if he gets bit by one. He's had the "bull's eye" mark and was successful in treatment. With this being said. It would be invaluable to have your stories on this topic here in one discussion. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! TG

Upvote 0

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read up a little on this, seems you can spray it in the yard too. There's a video of some guy with the cedar oil bug spray on his arm with a tick walking across it. It didn't bite but was walking around searching. He put it on a pencil and said it slowed it's movements and seemd weak in climbing within 5 minutes then died within an hour. I'm thinking it works to a degree. But permethrin is still the fastest. Maybe on the skin would be safer than deet as the tick really was looking but not setteling on a dinner menu. Maybe, after it dies I'll put it on my wife's sweater....

I used to travel the Country selling tradition archery supplies, this took me to all of the tick infested states and the most tick infested areas of those states. At one event I was getting eaten alive by misquotes and one of the other dealers told me about the cedar oil which he was selling. I tried it and it work so good on all biting insects that I became a dealer. Then I got a divorce, closed the business and lost all my contacts.

If anyone finds a good contact for cedar oil please post it here or PM me.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and some excellent comments. Thanks for bring this to all of our attention.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In my first full season up the holler following retirement, I pulled 19 Deer Ticks off me. Burn like crazy! On a tip I picked up a jar of Country Comfort Herbal Savvy.

That took all the stinging, burning, itching pain away. I'll always keep a jar of that handy:

index.jpg

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my first full season up the holler following retirement, I pulled 19 Deer Ticks off me. Burn like crazy! On a tip I picked up a jar of Country Comfort Herbal Savvy.

That took all the stinging, burning, itching pain away. I'll always keep a jar of that handy:

View attachment 1697963
Hi DeepseekerADS,
Are you ok? Have you been tested. There's no reason a tick bite should burn from what I've read. The only information I can determine that would cause a burning reaction is if you squeezed the abdomin and injected the tick contents. That would conceivably produce a burning sensation. Read about the fact that some diseases like Lyme may remain dormant for days, weeks and even years. Unless you get checked you'll never know until it's not dormant any more. Also, do you sell this product? It would be in appropriate to post about products one sells in this discussion. Also, do you have evidence and test results about the effectiveness of this product? Links to offical reports or government reports? We need to keep this as accurate as possible. Remember, someone's life could be on the line if they rely on information from here and it didn't work for them. Let's please build a solid factual discussion.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks mofugly13!
I checked out the tool. It looks like the real deal. This is what I was hoping for. New effective methods. I appreciate your suggestion!
I'm getting a set. It seems to have been around for years. Everyone is giving it 5 stars. Also, there's great advice in the reviews. One thing I didn't think of is to never squeeze the tick. It can inject you and then you really could get sick.
Here's a great way to really know if the tick has a disease. Save the tick and send it to be checked! I hope this link works.

https://igenex.com

https://www.tickreport.com

Also, Picardin is said to be as effective as Deet with a wider range of insects to repel. Has anyone experienced success with this? I know DEET is the gold standard but, it can damage synthetics. Stockings for example, lol. However, I really don't want to gamble. Either this stuff really works as well as DEET or I'm sticking with DEET for now.

I treat my clothing with Permethrin, and my skin with Picaridin. Haven't had a tick on me since I started doing this. I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever once....don't ever want it again. I don't know why people persist in all these folk remedies. Permethrin/Picaridin combo works, and it's cheap. And. the permethrin stays on your clothes through several washings. And, the Picaridin doesn't damage plastic like DEET.
Jim

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I'm fine, no Lyme. Been there.

I would think the best way to keep ticks at bay at a claim would be to beat back vegetation. My understanding is, ticks do not like short grass, so keeping it mown short with a weedwhacker might do wonders. But I am not sure what is allowed, and what is not allowed, on claims.

They do make a insecticide that you can spread on your lawns and stuff to keep ticks at bay, but it is pretty pricey and would be prohibitive applied to more than a few acres.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think the best way to keep ticks at bay at a claim would be to beat back vegetation. My understanding is, ticks do not like short grass, so keeping it mown short with a weedwhacker might do wonders. But I am not sure what is allowed, and what is not allowed, on claims. They do make a insecticide that you can spread on your lawns and stuff to keep ticks at bay, but it is pretty pricey and would be prohibitive applied to more than a few acres.

My experiences here up the holler now for 5 years - that's not completely true about short grass. They get on your shoe in short grass and start climbing up your legs. You may think that a "sweat tickle", but it may be one of those little buggers trying to get up to a tasty meal at your crotch!

Each season here I've been bitten, like I said - 19 bites my first year - I'll be getting bitten again here pretty soon = whatever, just deal with it. I've been to the VA about it, have been prescribed some salve for the wounds. Thing is, we just can't ignore the bites, and we have to check ourselves regularly during the season AND

it's that season again!

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I received 2 of the 3 shots of the vaccine Lymerix. This was the first vaccine (at least that I know of) for Lyme disease. They took it off the market because of public health concerns. "Unfortunately, unverified reports of vaccine side effects, especially arthritis, were hyped by the media and anti-vaccine groups and led folks to avoid the vaccine." This is quote from a write up of the vaccine. I personally believe it is fabricated. Too much money to be made without a cure. I'm not sure if I'm somewhat safe after having at least 2 of the 3 shots, but I haven't had a tick incident since (almost 20 years now). I still spray on DEET to my outer clothing and cinch up the cuffs though. This could be the reason why but I feel the vaccine was the way to go. Too bad it was pulled.

kokomoejoe

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Midlothian, va
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt and mxt pro
What about Permethrin? I've heard using it on external fabric works well to kill ticks on contact in seconds. I've also read to wear eye and skin and breathing protection when applying. And not to spray inside ones home. I read a study that may link permethrin exposure combined with Deet exposure to have shown a possible correlation to nervous system damage like the kind that occoured in the Kuwait War.
As I see this, one is to use the permethrin spray with the proper eye, mouth, skin protection, then spray onto external clothing throughly wetting then allow to completely dry. I read that it is the liquid that is a problem. Then, a person can put the deet on another day as long as there has been no permethrin liquid exposure. Then put the clothing on that has dried. I've seen ticks fall off in 5 seconds on the test videos. I'm thinking, shoes, packs, pant cuffs, etc. Anyone have info on Permethryn and Deet safe useage?
Stuff seem work really really well, cant believe I didnt know about this stuff back in the scouting days. I dont know about the danger parts

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the pleasure of getting 20-40 deer ticks on me a year. I usually get them out within the 48 hours it takes for them to infect you with Lyme. On ones that have gotten dug in, after I pull them out I use tea tree oil which is a strong natural local antibiotic on the bite. I have had itchy sores that lasted a month or so but so far have not contracted Lyme disease. You can get tea tree oil at most health food stores and some drug stores. I don't know if I am just naturally immune to the Lyme (I was born immune to poison ivy) or if it is the tea tree oil doing the job. The main thing is to get the ticks out before 48 hours has elapsed, you shouldn't get Lyme if you do so. I also live on the east coast and we have a lot of Lyme around but very little other tick borne diseases.

Got my first deer tick of the year yesterday. I've also had the itchy sores last for a month or so. Tick was so small the tip of a pencil would have covered it. Had to use a jewelers loupe to see it!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a laundry soap that contains pyrethrin (sp?) and will kill ticks and help against all critters for 6 weeks. They have it online or Home depot. I wear knee boots and do a ring of Deep woods Off bug spray around the knee. A quick shower to get them off as well and good to go.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my first deer tick of the year yesterday. I've also had the itchy sores last for a month or so. Tick was so small the tip of a pencil would have covered it. Had to use a jewelers loupe to see it!
Raider19962,
Are you getting checked? I've been bit 3 times when I was a kid. Never had itchy sores. Let alone lasting for a month! After reading all the diseases they can carry, it may be a good idea to save the tick and have it analyzed. If a persistant sore developes, it could be a bacterial infection. There also is a virus one of them carries.
Isn't it interesting that, a snake bite, (we only have rattle snakes here) will make you WANT to the hospital.However, a tick bite with the potential to give us life long, crippling, nervous system, and deadly, diseases, and we just pass it off. Oh, it was just a flesh wound!! (Monty Python reference) Maybe it is time we consider our families and loved ones, if you become incapable of providing or, perhaps, die. How important is your life and health to your family? Tick bites shoud be considered dangerous, and should be dealt with as if you were bit by a snake. It is one of those things that needs to be addressed that is so far out of our thinking in terms of danger. If you read stories of how people are sick with debilitating diseases, you would cringe. Lets be safe this year. Don't squeeze the tick. Take it out whole, get it checked. Spread the word that there is prevention for these diseases. It takes doing the steps. Just like avoiding getting poision oak, the clothes washing, the shower with dish detergent. Keeping the shoes and clothes away from people. I'm not an alarmist, but after learning about this only just last year. I'm wondering how many more are unaware?.... If I had a presistant sore from a tick bite for a month now, I wouldn't be able to stand the suspense. I would get checked!!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres a laundry soap that contains pyrethrin (sp?) and will kill ticks and help against all critters for 6 weeks. They have it online or Home depot. I wear knee boots and do a ring of Deep woods Off bug spray around the knee. A quick shower to get them off as well and good to go.
Thank you Tommybuckets,
I have been wondering if there was a safer way to apply Permethrin. Spraying puts it in the air to breath. Washing would be the best for clothing! Great!!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, Tahoe, when I was bitten by a tick in Wyoming, I was aware of the fact, and the tick had been on me for less than 24 hours. I was also aware that symptoms, assuming I was infected, would show up within a week, or so. Felt fine for 4 days, but awoke with a screaming headache on the 5th. Went to the doc on the 6th, and was diagnosed with RMSF. Had I fooled around I'd have been in big trouble. Instead, I was treated with Doxycycline, and after a couple of weeks I was OK. It isn't smart to delay getting tested with these tick-borne diseases.
Jim

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, Tahoe, when I was bitten by a tick in Wyoming, I was aware of the fact, and the tick had been on me for less than 24 hours. I was also aware that symptoms, assuming I was infected, would show up within a week, or so. Felt fine for 4 days, but awoke with a screaming headache on the 5th. Went to the doc on the 6th, and was diagnosed with RMSF. Had I fooled around I'd have been in big trouble. Instead, I was treated with Doxycycline, and after a couple of weeks I was OK. It isn't smart to delay getting tested with these tick-borne diseases.
Jim
Thank you Jim,
I'm glad you posted this.
I want this discussion to have an impact on all of us. Including myself. I'm guilty of being lazy about it, or really just didn't even know of the dangers. I need motivation to really act on this. I am asking those that have been diagnosed, and treated, and have been cured to tell your story here to encourage and motivate. We need to hear successful treatments to follow a way to take care of ourselves and our families that depend on us. Let's here your story! Also, those that are continuing to struggle and have a difficult time with a tick born disease, I am truly sorry for your condition. I hope you can get cured. Would you also share your story here? Maybe you could save someone like me who just had no idea that this was even out there. And has been for years and years. How did I not learn of this in Boy Scouts? There should have been something said. Well, the more said about it the better I guess. Let's hear the stories. Success stories and folks currently dealing with thier illness, let us hear you struggles both physically and how it affects your life in general. Thank you all for contributing. Tahoegold

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raider19962,
Are you getting checked? I've been bit 3 times when I was a kid. Never had itchy sores. Let alone lasting for a month! After reading all the diseases they can carry, it may be a good idea to save the tick and have it analyzed. If a persistant sore developes, it could be a bacterial infection. There also is a virus one of them carries.
Isn't it interesting that, a snake bite, (we only have rattle snakes here) will make you WANT to the hospital.However, a tick bite with the potential to give us life long, crippling, nervous system, and deadly, diseases, and we just pass it off. Oh, it was just a flesh wound!! (Monty Python reference) Maybe it is time we consider our families and loved ones, if you become incapable of providing or, perhaps, die. How important is your life and health to your family? Tick bites shoud be considered dangerous, and should be dealt with as if you were bit by a snake. It is one of those things that needs to be addressed that is so far out of our thinking in terms of danger. If you read stories of how people are sick with debilitating diseases, you would cringe. Lets be safe this year. Don't squeeze the tick. Take it out whole, get it checked. Spread the word that there is prevention for these diseases. It takes doing the steps. Just like avoiding getting poision oak, the clothes washing, the shower with dish detergent. Keeping the shoes and clothes away from people. I'm not an alarmist, but after learning about this only just last year. I'm wondering how many more are unaware?.... If I had a presistant sore from a tick bite for a month now, I wouldn't be able to stand the suspense. I would get checked!!

That was an EXCELLENT reply. It was honest, but not dramatized.

I do not have lyme disease, but because I had every symptom of it, they thought I had it. I was tested; both the quick check, and then the more through lyme disease test, so everyone should be getting the latter as their are now different strains of the disease.

Also, heavy metals toxins can also mimic lyme disease, so be wary of that considering what we all work with.

Myself, I have Hypopituitarism from a tumor on my pituitary gland which causes lyme disease-like fatigue, and I will say, I would not wish that on anyone. It is absolutely horrific to have a mind that wants to go and do this or that, and your body simply cannot follow. Fatigue does not even come close to the exhaustion felt, all at 44 years old.

An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure for sure.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just ordered a 2 pack of the Tick Twister brand from Ebay. It was $7.99 + $0.64 tax = $8.63
I searche all over, Walmart only ships to home. Petco's pet tornado only ships to home. So I found this 2 pack with free shipping. I think it's the best deal. I avoided the others because I don't know if they have the same slot size as the tick tornadi. I wanted to make sure I didn't buy something that wasn't really made right. The tick tornado seems to have a stellar reputation. It's going with me and the spare will be in the house! Glad I'll have a simple tool that doesn't squeeze the tick. Makes me gag just thinking about that!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That was an EXCELLENT reply. It was honest, but not dramatized.

I do not have lyme disease, but because I had every symptom of it, they thought I had it. I was tested; both the quick check, and then the more through lyme disease test, so everyone should be getting the latter as their are now different strains of the disease.

Also, heavy metals toxins can also mimic lyme disease, so be wary of that considering what we all work with.

Myself, I have Hypopituitarism from a tumor on my pituitary gland which causes lyme disease-like fatigue, and I will say, I would not wish that on anyone. It is absolutely horrific to have a mind that wants to go and do this or that, and your body simply cannot follow. Fatigue does not even come close to the exhaustion felt, all at 44 years old.

An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure for sure.
Thanks Orecart,
One of my closest friends, a woman, had that very same thing. She just had the operation to remove it from her pituitary. Not to derail the thread. But, it sometimes it happens, when we go in for one issue, another hidden issue is discovered. Glad you didnt have any tick diseases. Glad they found the tumor. My friend went to doctors for years, no one found it until recently.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tick problems here, or fleas for that matter. At 5000feet here and 60 miles away at the claim, they just don't exist. Call me lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread