Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    196 times
    Prospecting
    And this may be coming soon. It would really be a great prevention.

peptide chemist Dr. Keykavous Parang of URI's Department of Biomedical Sciences and Dr. Lenny Moise of URI's Institute for Immunology and Informatics.

RI-STAC funds will help the team develop proof of concept and early-stage prototypes for an anti-tick vaccine and transdermal delivery system. Prior work has shown that ticks use molecules found in their saliva to manipulate host immune defenses, helping the tick to steal blood, and in the process, transmit pathogens. The concentrations of most of those bioactive salivary molecules are extremely low and go unrecognized by the host. However, in concentrations more than a tick's bite worth, some of these molecules stimulate a protective response in certain hosts, including humans. The phenomenon is called acquired tick resistance. The researchers expect to be able to identify some of the most potent tick salivary proteins and turn them into vaccines that can induce acquired tick resistance in people. "An early phase anti-tick vaccine would simply make the vaccinated person begin to itch after a tick latches on and starts to bite", stated Mather. "The itch reaction will allow the tick bite victim to feel, locate and remove the tick before it has a chance to transmit any pathogens" he explained.

As the work progresses, the team expects to find a cocktail of tick salivary proteins that also induces powerful immune responses around the tick's mouthparts as they are embedded in the skin. "In preliminary studies using animal models" Mather said, "even if infected ticks bite and begin to feed, there's an immune response that the disease-causing microbes seem to get caught up in, and that prevents infection in the host".

While the STAC grant is expected to provide a proof of concept for an anti-tick vaccine strategy, the team hopes that future research will allow them to discover salivary peptides shared by species of ticks around the world that can induce this kind of protective response. "Wouldn't it be terrific if you could slap on a bandage-sized patch for a week, and then be protected against tick-transmitted diseases in Rhode Island, or Germany, or even Pakistan", Mather asked.

In assembling the team of collaborators, Mather said he was very impressed with the Isis Biopolymer programmable transdermal patch system, and with EpiVax's unique immuno-informatics tools for rapidly screening hundreds of tick proteins to evaluate them as potential vaccine candidates. The programmable patch can mimic the natural salivation-sucking cycle that ticks use while feeding, all while delivering synthetic peptides, developed by Dr. Parang, into the skin where ticks naturally feed. Dr. Moise's lab will aid the vaccine screening process by testing candidate peptides for their ability to induce immunity.

"When I started the search for an anti-tick vaccine", Mather said, "I just didn't know such things were possible, much less that they could be found right in our own state". The Rhode Island Science and Technology Council grants program aims to encourage such home-grown research initiatives that then stimulate entrepreneurism.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    196 times
    Prospecting
    And this from the CDC...

Use*Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellentsExternal*containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (OLE), para-menthane-diol (PMD), or 2-undecanone. EPAís helpful*search toolExternal*can help you find the product that best suits your needs. Always follow product instructions.

Do not use insect repellent on babies younger than 2 months old.

Do not use products containing OLE or PMD on children under 3 years old.

us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    153 times
    Prospecting
    For the past 5 years I have been treating my hunting clothes with permethrin. Have not had a tick on me during deer season in that time. For the times I have had ticks on me, I have usually felt the tick crawling on me in time to get it off before it was embedded. In my life Iíve probably had 10 ticks embedded. The first bunch were hit and miss on successful intact removal. The methods ranged from successfully gripping it between thumb and forefinger and pulling, to trying tweezers right up against the head, which more often than not left the body shredded and the head still embedded.

A hot match to the body killed the tick but left it embedded.

I have not contracted Lyme disease and have always been on the lookout for the bullseye rash. A few times with unsuccessful extractions Iíve had a Dr. take a look.

Then I heard a recommendation for the Tick Twister removal tool. It works as advertised. Iíve removed 10 or more ticks from myself, animals and family members. It works just as effectively as the advertising videos show. I highly recommend getting one or a few for your FAK.
    Tahoegold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11593 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by aa battery View Post
    Ticks stay away from me because i drink beer.

Well. I can assure you that isn't always totally effective...
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Apr 01, 2019 at 10:10 AM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11593 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    In Ca. its the Larva and nymphs that can transmit disease if they have it.

It does not take 48 hours either.

You'll notice if you harrass them too much before plucking them a sudden burning pain.

Thats an enzyme they barf into you.. Cool huh.

Thats why I strip and check right away.

I wear muck boots only as long as the water is too cold to stand in for extended periods.

Tuck your boots into your socks. tuck in your shirt. When you get out of the bush do a check.

The few I have got were when I waited a while to change or clean up after yard work.

I have been in the woods a few times.. looked down and had several small ones climbing each leg.

One right on my chest. the other under my armpit.

use good tweezers and make sure you get the head out.
    Tahoegold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks mofugly13!
    I checked out the tool. It looks like the real deal. This is what I was hoping for. New effective methods. I appreciate your suggestion!
    I'm getting a set. It seems to have been around for years. Everyone is giving it 5 stars. Also, there's great advice in the reviews. One thing I didn't think of is to never squeeze the tick. It can inject you and then you really could get sick.
    Here's a great way to really know if the tick has a disease. Save the tick and send it to be checked! I hope this link works.

https://igenex.com

https://www.tickreport.com

Also, Picardin is said to be as effective as Deet with a wider range of insects to repel. Has anyone experienced success with this? I know DEET is the gold standard but, it can damage synthetics. Stockings for example, lol. However, I really don't want to gamble. Either this stuff really works as well as DEET or I'm sticking with DEET for now.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    In Ca. its the Larva and nymphs that can transmit disease if they have it.

It does not take 48 hours either.

You'll notice if you harrass them too much before plucking them a sudden burning pain.

Thats an enzyme they barf into you.. Cool huh.

Thats why I strip and check right away.

I wear muck boots only as long as the water is too cold to stand in for extended periods.

Tuck your boots into your socks. tuck in your shirt. When you get out of the bush do a check.

The few I have got were when I waited a while to change or clean up after yard work.

I have been in the woods a few times.. looked down and had several small ones climbing each leg.

One right on my chest. the other under my armpit.

use good tweezers and make sure you get the head out.
    Thanks Gold washer. I've hears that "blousing" the pants is why the military does this (couldnt they just say tuck the pants, sounds kinda girly for the military). To prevent bugs from crawling up the legs. I've used small bunji cords to prevent yellow jackets from crawling up. I don't trust it's effevtive enough for the nymphs. Tape seems like an optiin, but socks seem more practical. I was reading how folks were warning about squeezing the tick. I suppose you are not doing that. Are you using tweezers just like the tick twister to pull and twist counter clockwise at the base of the head? It was said that there's barbs at the mouth that fold up when twisting counter clockwise and allow it to be removed whole.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    List and discription of tick born diseases from the CDC website.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html

In the United States, some ticks carry pathogens that can cause human disease, including:

Anaplasmosis*is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Babesiosis*is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the U.S. are caused by*Babesia microti.*Babesia microti*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the northeast and upper midwest.

Borrelia mayonii*infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the upper midwestern United States. It has been found in blacklegged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) in Minnesota and Wisconsin.*Borrelia mayonii*is a new species and is the only species besides*B. burgdorferi*known to cause*Lyme disease*in North America.

Borrelia miyamotoi*infection has recently been described as a cause of illness in the U.S. It is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and has a range similar to that of Lyme disease.

Bourbon virus*infection has been identified in a limited number patients in the Midwest and southern United States. At this time, we do not know if the virus might be found in other areas of the United States.

Colorado tick fever*is caused by a virus transmitted by the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni). It occurs in the the Rocky Mountain states at elevations of 4,000 to 10,500 feet.

Ehrlichiosis*is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and eastern U.S.

Heartland virus*cases have been identified in the Midwestern and southern United States. Studies suggest that Lone Star ticks can*transmit the virus. It is unknown if the virus may be found in other areas of the U.S.

Lyme disease*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.

Powassan disease*is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and the groundhog tick (Ixodes cookei). Cases have been reported primarily from northeastern states and the Great Lakes region.

Rickettsia parkeri*rickettsiosis*is transmitted to humans by the Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).

Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF)*is transmitted by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.

STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness)*is transmitted via bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the southeastern and eastern U.S.

Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF)*is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and vacation homes.

Tularemia*is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.

364D rickettsiosis*(Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis*ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

us
    Feb 2019
    Burlington NC
    AT Max
    76 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    Second thought, that would be very warm and on a hot day, probably not going to happen. Maybe during the months that are cool enough. How about two layers and the outer layer treated with Permethrin?
    Wow! I don't know if I like the idea of using a chemical that sounds as dangerous as the tick bite. My wife and I both were diagnosed with Lyme disease. We both sought treatment early and were tested to be free from it later. My wife had a terrible problem with arthritis since then. I don't know if it is a side effect of the Lyme disease or not. Deer come in the yard frequently at night and we have a dog also. We keep him treated with the pill for fleas and ticks and he doesn't have them stay on him for very long. The tiny little deer tick are very plentiful in our area. They have grown with the deer population. When I was a young fellow we did not have deer in our part of the county and the only ticks you would find were the larger dog ticks. It is the deer ticks that carry the Lyme disease. Check yourself every day for the tiny little buggers. Your dog will bring them in the house.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldean View Post
    Wow! I don't know if I like the idea of using a chemical that sounds as dangerous as the tick bite. My wife and I both were diagnosed with Lyme disease. We both sought treatment early and were tested to be free from it later. My wife had a terrible problem with arthritis since then. I don't know if it is a side effect of the Lyme disease or not. Deer come in the yard frequently at night and we have a dog also. We keep him treated with the pill for fleas and ticks and he doesn't have them stay on him for very long. The tiny little deer tick are very plentiful in our area. They have grown with the deer population. When I was a young fellow we did not have deer in our part of the county and the only ticks you would find were the larger dog ticks. It is the deer ticks that carry the Lyme disease. Check yourself every day for the tiny little buggers. Your dog will bring them in the house.
    Thank you for posting Haldean,
    Do you have documentation to back up your claim that DEET is as dangerous as a tick bite. DEET is the most studied insect repellent in history. It's been around since the 1940s. Please let me know if you have that. If not, or please do not post statements if you do not have factual evidence to back them. We are trying to place the best and most correct information on one discussion. I'm asking you to please, either provide the factual evidence or to please, edit out your comment. Weather you feel comfortable using DEET or not is an issue for some, however, making a statement like that on this discussion will undermine the credibility of this thread. DEET, when used with care and in a proper the manor, has been proven since 1940 to be safe and the most effective repellant in the world. I find it very difficult to believe (key word, believe, which requires one to trust without actually knowing in the case of scientific theories) that DEET is more dangerous than every pathogen that a tick is capable of transmitting. I'm requesting you as a gentleman, to keep this discussion factual. And please continue to contribute to this discussion. Regards, Tahoegold
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    430 times
    I read up a little on this, seems you can spray it in the yard too. There's a video of some guy with the cedar oil bug spray on his arm with a tick walking across it. It didn't bite but was walking around searching. He put it on a pencil and said it slowed it's movements and seemd weak in climbing within 5 minutes then died within an hour. I'm thinking it works to a degree. But permethrin is still the fastest. Maybe on the skin would be safer than deet as the tick really was looking but not setteling on a dinner menu. Maybe, after it dies I'll put it on my wife's sweater....
    I used to travel the Country selling tradition archery supplies, this took me to all of the tick infested states and the most tick infested areas of those states. At one event I was getting eaten alive by misquotes and one of the other dealers told me about the cedar oil which he was selling. I tried it and it work so good on all biting insects that I became a dealer. Then I got a divorce, closed the business and lost all my contacts.

If anyone finds a good contact for cedar oil please post it here or PM me.
    Hawks88 and Tahoegold like this.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    8124 times
    Great post and some excellent comments. Thanks for bring this to all of our attention.
    Tahoegold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17065 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    In my first full season up the holler following retirement, I pulled 19 Deer Ticks off me. Burn like crazy! On a tip I picked up a jar of Country Comfort Herbal Savvy.

That took all the stinging, burning, itching pain away. I'll always keep a jar of that handy:

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  12.3 KB
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    In my first full season up the holler following retirement, I pulled 19 Deer Ticks off me. Burn like crazy! On a tip I picked up a jar of Country Comfort Herbal Savvy.

That took all the stinging, burning, itching pain away. I'll always keep a jar of that handy:

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  12.3 KB
    Hi DeepseekerADS,
    Are you ok? Have you been tested. There's no reason a tick bite should burn from what I've read. The only information I can determine that would cause a burning reaction is if you squeezed the abdomin and injected the tick contents. That would conceivably produce a burning sensation. Read about the fact that some diseases like Lyme may remain dormant for days, weeks and even years. Unless you get checked you'll never know until it's not dormant any more. Also, do you sell this product? It would be in appropriate to post about products one sells in this discussion. Also, do you have evidence and test results about the effectiveness of this product? Links to offical reports or government reports? We need to keep this as accurate as possible. Remember, someone's life could be on the line if they rely on information from here and it didn't work for them. Let's please build a solid factual discussion.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3031 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks mofugly13!
    I checked out the tool. It looks like the real deal. This is what I was hoping for. New effective methods. I appreciate your suggestion!
    I'm getting a set. It seems to have been around for years. Everyone is giving it 5 stars. Also, there's great advice in the reviews. One thing I didn't think of is to never squeeze the tick. It can inject you and then you really could get sick.
    Here's a great way to really know if the tick has a disease. Save the tick and send it to be checked! I hope this link works.

https://igenex.com

https://www.tickreport.com

Also, Picardin is said to be as effective as Deet with a wider range of insects to repel. Has anyone experienced success with this? I know DEET is the gold standard but, it can damage synthetics. Stockings for example, lol. However, I really don't want to gamble. Either this stuff really works as well as DEET or I'm sticking with DEET for now.
    I treat my clothing with Permethrin, and my skin with Picaridin. Haven't had a tick on me since I started doing this. I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever once....don't ever want it again. I don't know why people persist in all these folk remedies. Permethrin/Picaridin combo works, and it's cheap. And. the permethrin stays on your clothes through several washings. And, the Picaridin doesn't damage plastic like DEET.
    Jim

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links