Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tick season. Makes me cring just writing that. In the spring, it's the tiny nymphs that apearantly can even be blown onto you by the wind. They hang out on the tips of grass along the trail. Not all, but some carry diseases. Not just Lyme. I would like to start a discussion where:

1) Those that have been successful in preventing ticks on clothing and skin.

2) Those that have prevented becoming sick with medical treatment.

3) Those that know about treatment in the medical field.

4) Those living with an ailment from a tick bite.

I realize this last one may be hard for those that are ill from ticks. I am truly sorry for what has happened to you. Ticks may be the most dangerous critter we face outside. It would be a stark lesson for us all to hear your stories to encourage us all to use the best possible preventitive measures. Some folks need motivation (me included). At least, we could share our successes, our stories, and maybe have all the ways to do this right in one discussion. Maybe it could save someone from getting sick or even, save a life.
Ok, so, I have never been sick from a bite but have been bitten several times over the years. Only recently, like last year did I even know of the dangers. I knew about Lyme, but, in reading about Lyme, I read about several other very dangerous diseases. I think I saw 5. Holy cow, if I had known that, I would have been very careful and gone to get checked! Two Toes recently did a video on critters to watch out for. He deemed the tick to be the most concerning. He goes to get checked if he gets bit by one. He's had the "bull's eye" mark and was successful in treatment. With this being said. It would be invaluable to have your stories on this topic here in one discussion. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! TG

Upvote 0

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round here, just tell the doc you got nailed, and they'll give you antibiotics. Lyme is an easy treatment if caught in the first 15 days. Longer, and it's two months or more of AB's. Let it go even longer and it's a year or more on AB's. The worst part is you don't always bullseye if infected. Bad part is if they give you cycline type meds, as they can make you sun sensitive for a while.

Been hit by Lyme once already.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And no one ever said you have to go to the Dr for antibiotics.

One of the great things about having sheep is, they have the same body weight as humans. A lamb at birth is the same 7 pounds as a baby human, and an adult ewe is 180 pounds or so, just like an adult. So the dosage is right on the bottle...7 cc's of LA-200 which is only about $8 for a fairly big bottle. For less then the cost of a co-pay at the doctor's, a person can treat themselves for a long time.

LA-200 works for just about everything, but has to be taken subcultureeosly (under the skin) as it burns going into a muscle, and every other day as it is long-lasting. And while Pen-G is taken the same way, it does not burn as bad going in, and must be taken daily. Pen-G can also take a thinner needle (22 gauge) instead of LA-200 which is thicker and requires a 18 gauge needle, or if you are tough enough to take the bigger poke, a 16 gauge needle.

Any farm supply store has the antibiotic, needles and syringes. Just do not exceed 7cc's; more is NOT better, as livestock antibiotic tends to be more potent then human antibiotic. I disinfect needles between uses by using hydrogen peroxide, but rubbing alcohol at 70% concentration also works.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something to the "what you eat" deal. I hunted predators for their fur, many years ago. never got a flea that would stay on me. Something in my natural skin oil. Same thing with ticks. When I was finally bitten by a tick it was during the night, after I'd taken a "cleanup" in the camper. washed the oils off, and a tick took advantage. So, there's something going on there, for sure. But, I don't trust my "natural" repellant anymore.
Jim
Actually got that tip from my old Italian uncle many years ago. He's the one that'd get acid indigestion and go slug down a big spoon of cider vinegar. Five or ten minutes later he'd be ok. What he told us kids is all the gas comes from your stomach not having enough acid to dissolve the food quickly so it ferments. Didn't make much sense till we got into high school science class.

Another thing, DON'T wear any aftershave or cologne even three days before you go out. A friend that was the poster child for a city slicker put on some Brute cologne on Friday. We were out digging relics on Sunday evening. As soon as the wind died down he was literally a ball of mosquitos!! Come Monday, couldn't even look at his face without laughing! Yeah, try eating garlic two or three days before doing outdoor stuff. Been working for me for over 40 years.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that doubt or are skeptical about the seriousness of the bites, can go to bed and when it is very quiet they will hear way off in the distance the sound that goes like this. tick---tick---tick---tick---tick.:skullflag:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually got that tip from my old Italian uncle many years ago. He's the one that'd get acid indigestion and go slug down a big spoon of cider vinegar. Five or ten minutes later he'd be ok. What he told us kids is all the gas comes from your stomach not having enough acid to dissolve the food quickly so it ferments. Didn't make much sense till we got into high school science class.

Another thing, DON'T wear any aftershave or cologne even three days before you go out. A friend that was the poster child for a city slicker put on some Brute cologne on Friday. We were out digging relics on Sunday evening. As soon as the wind died down he was literally a ball of mosquitos!! Come Monday, couldn't even look at his face without laughing! Yeah, try eating garlic two or three days before doing outdoor stuff. Been working for me for over 40 years.

My main beverage with at-home meals is always lemon water. I had an episode of acid problems several years ago, and found out that adding acid to my diet would eliminate them. So I did, and no more acid-stomach problems.
Jim

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And no one ever said you have to go to the Dr for antibiotics.

One of the great things about having sheep is, they have the same body weight as humans. A lamb at birth is the same 7 pounds as a baby human, and an adult ewe is 180 pounds or so, just like an adult. So the dosage is right on the bottle...7 cc's of LA-200 which is only about $8 for a fairly big bottle. For less then the cost of a co-pay at the doctor's, a person can treat themselves for a long time.

LA-200 works for just about everything, but has to be taken subcultureeosly (under the skin) as it burns going into a muscle, and every other day as it is long-lasting. And while Pen-G is taken the same way, it does not burn as bad going in, and must be taken daily. Pen-G can also take a thinner needle (22 gauge) instead of LA-200 which is thicker and requires a 18 gauge needle, or if you are tough enough to take the bigger poke, a 16 gauge needle.

Any farm supply store has the antibiotic, needles and syringes. Just do not exceed 7cc's; more is NOT better, as livestock antibiotic tends to be more potent then human antibiotic. I disinfect needles between uses by using hydrogen peroxide, but rubbing alcohol at 70% concentration also works.
Hi Orecart,
I don't doubt this may work. However, it may be a good idea to be careful talking about self administering meds here. There could be someone that tries this without the proper supervision, maybe taking it in the wrong length of time, so many variables. You may have knowledge and experience. But, there could be someone reading this that has contracted a disease thinking this is a cure. It could be a virus instead, or who knows. I would like to think it would be this easy for anyone. I just want folks to know the best way for a healthy ending. This would be questionable for some individuals. I appreciate your input as even this post and my response are things people think of and we need to address. Folks, if you are an experienced medical person, you may be able self diagnose and administer the proper dosage for the length of time to eradicate a very serious illness. If you are not, please, for your sake, and the sake of your family and your ability to provede for them, seek adequate professional help should you fall ill. This is the point of this post, to go over all the scenarios and discuss the pros and cons. I really want all your thoughts. Then have an intelegent debate and let folks decide what is best. My tick twister should be here Monday. I'm debating on buying the test kit. I think I need to have one for expediting the results. I dont think waiting for very long is a good idea. I have only been bit maybe 4-5 times in my lif (that I know of, who really knows if a tiny one got away without me knowing?) It would be cheaper than a doctor visit if I can capture the tick.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those that doubt or are skeptical about the seriousness of the bites, can go to bed and when it is very quiet they will hear way off in the distance the sound that goes like this. tick---tick---tick---tick---tick.:skullflag:
So, lets say I lined up the perfect number of needles to equal the proper ratio of infected ticks and non infected ticks. Let's say I stick you with one and let you decide what to do... What would you do. It's kinda like russian roulette only silent... And, creepy.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me I would pay very close attention to the needle prick.:laughing9: That ticking noise is not for me. The tick lottery is if you hit it you loose.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone try those garlic pills they sell in the med dept at just about every store?

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got them! Here's a look at the slot size. At least I feel I have something useful to get them off me!! 0406191423.jpg 0406191424.jpg

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whata nice is that once you've removed the tick, the slot hangs onto him so that you can deposit him onto the container of your choice

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whata nice is that once you've removed the tick, the slot hangs onto him so that you can deposit him onto the container of your choice
And no squish...

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter contracted Lyme at seven years old. (14 years ago)
The tick was completely under her skin, two legs sticking out.
I removed the tick, and we watched for the rash.
When the bullseye showed we brought her to her doctor. At the time we all believed the same, no rash= No problem.
I recently heard a study stating less than 15 minutes of attachment is all it takes to transfer from the tick to you!
I consider myself a pretty “tough “ guy... but to see your child in agony, absolute agony? Screaming in pain with her fists clenched so hard they were white, jaw locked and writhing on the floor for days.
There was a few moments that I had to leave the room as I couldn’t bear to watch. Helpless. I couldn’t do a thing to help.
That was a humbling time.
She went from a fit, active, soccer loving, outdoor loving kid, to an “overweight, elderly woman” in a matter of two months. At seven years old.
She’s good now, but the bite changed her. She was afraid to go outside for a while, her metabolism went wacky. And she still has aches and pains that she normally wouldn’t.
We found out years later that her doctor didn’t believe in Lyme. And was mis-treating her symptoms. While not being honest with us.
So be sure to ask your doctor if they are a believer of tick Bourne illness. Or at least get a feel for them. For years doctor and insurance companies wouldn’t cover Lyme related work as it was a “hoax”
I always like an older doctor, as the adage “with age comes wisdom “
But, “old dog - new tricks “ comes to mind now.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter contracted Lyme at seven years old. (14 years ago)
The tick was completely under her skin, two legs sticking out.
I removed the tick, and we watched for the rash.
When the bullseye showed we brought her to her doctor. At the time we all believed the same, no rash= No problem.
I recently heard a study stating less than 15 minutes of attachment is all it takes to transfer from the tick to you!
I consider myself a pretty “tough “ guy... but to see your child in agony, absolute agony? Screaming in pain with her fists clenched so hard they were white, jaw locked and writhing on the floor for days.
There was a few moments that I had to leave the room as I couldn’t bear to watch. Helpless. I couldn’t do a thing to help.
That was a humbling time.
She went from a fit, active, soccer loving, outdoor loving kid, to an “overweight, elderly woman” in a matter of two months. At seven years old.
She’s good now, but the bite changed her. She was afraid to go outside for a while, her metabolism went wacky. And she still has aches and pains that she normally wouldn’t.
We found out years later that her doctor didn’t believe in Lyme. And was mis-treating her symptoms. While not being honest with us.
So be sure to ask your doctor if they are a believer of tick Bourne illness. Or at least get a feel for them. For years doctor and insurance companies wouldn’t cover Lyme related work as it was a “hoax”
I always like an older doctor, as the adage “with age comes wisdom “
But, “old dog - new tricks “ comes to mind now.

You mean "Old dogs NEW TICKS" that puts a new game in town.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got them! Here's a look at the slot size. At least I feel I have something useful to get them off me!! View attachment 1699992 View attachment 1699993

That Tick Twister works swell!

A friend of mine uses one to get the ticks off his dog. After he takes them off he cellophane tapes them to an index card. Usually there are a dozen or three ticks and two or three cards full a year.

How that dog hasn't caught the Lyme is a mystery to me. We mostly have wood ticks here, but also the deer tick.

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Hello everyone, My tick bite story may help someone...About August 2018, I pulled a tick off my chest, I had been in the woods the day before. The bite left an itchy sore and stayed red for a few weeks. Then in October, I was on my 29 wedding anniversary vacation with my wife. I had an under-cooked hamburger at a restaurant near our hotel. I Ate it anyway, as it tasted so good. Five hours later (about 2-3 am) I woke to a hellish itching, my blood pressure dropped and I broke out in hives, my skin turned red like sunburn, and worst of all, my tongue swelled within seconds to the point my wife could not understand my jumbled words! She said I'm calling 911, I nodded emphatically yes, right away!. Ambulance came to hotel room, took me to the Emergency Dept. They started epinephrine by i.v. and the hospital gave me steroid and antibiotic drip by i.v. Turns out that the tick bite was the culprit, I was diagnosed with something I'd never heard of called ALPHA-GAL SYNDROME!!! Allergic to red meat, all red meat! I was told may go away, or may stay with me for life, I'm now required to get my bllod tested every year and told to never get another tick bite! Turns out, chances are very high that most ticks carry this disease now, as it is passed from adult ticks to baby ticks at birth. Turns out the first cases of Alpha Gal were traced to the lone star tick from TX. These have a white "star" shaped spot on their abdomen. The allergist said ticks feeding on deer blood (mostly in all southern states, not just Texas anymore) The ticks have developed a hormone as they feed on deer blood, that is transferred to humans if bitten. For now, I cannot eat steak, deer meat, pork products, lamb or goat meat. No burgers, no meat sauce in pasta/spagheti, no more pepperoni pizza, no bacon, or BBQ! My advise for all of you woodsmen like myself, strip naked after a day in the woods, even your own back yard, mowing, etc. Go stand in front of a mirror and check every inch of your body for ticks, maybe have your wife or girlfriend check for you too! Good luck in your treasure hunting, please use some kind of tick repellent too. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone, My tick bite story may help someone...About August 2018, I pulled a tick off my chest, I had been in the woods the day before. The bite left an itchy sore and stayed red for a few weeks. Then in October, I was on my 29 wedding anniversary vacation with my wife. I had an under-cooked hamburger at a restaurant near our hotel. I Ate it anyway, as it tasted so good. Five hours later (about 2-3 am) I woke to a hellish itching, my blood pressure dropped and I broke out in hives, my skin turned red like sunburn, and worst of all, my tongue swelled within seconds to the point my wife could not understand my jumbled words! She said I'm calling 911, I nodded emphatically yes, right away!. Ambulance came to hotel room, took me to the Emergency Dept. They started epinephrine by i.v. and the hospital gave me steroid and antibiotic drip by i.v. Turns out that the tick bite was the culprit, I was diagnosed with something I'd never heard of called ALPHA-GAL SYNDROME!!! Allergic to red meat, all red meat! I was told may go away, or may stay with me for life, I'm now required to get my bllod tested every year and told to never get another tick bite! Turns out, chances are very high that most ticks carry this disease now, as it is passed from adult ticks to baby ticks at birth. Turns out the first cases of Alpha Gal were traced to the lone star tick from TX. These have a white "star" shaped spot on their abdomen. The allergist said ticks feeding on deer blood (mostly in all southern states, not just Texas anymore) The ticks have developed a hormone as they feed on deer blood, that is transferred to humans if bitten. For now, I cannot eat steak, deer meat, pork products, lamb or goat meat. No burgers, no meat sauce in pasta/spagheti, no more pepperoni pizza, no bacon, or BBQ! My advise for all of you woodsmen like myself, strip naked after a day in the woods, even your own back yard, mowing, etc. Go stand in front of a mirror and check every inch of your body for ticks, maybe have your wife or girlfriend check for you too! Good luck in your treasure hunting, please use some kind of tick repellent too. Happy hunting!
Hello claydog65,
My most sincere condolences, I love rare red meat, porkchops, bacon, all those things you said. Spaghetti with meat sauce, Lasagne. Wow, that is a bizzarre syndrome. Passed on by a sugar molecule. Here's the Mayo Clinic link:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

An interesting discovery. Quoted from below:
"The cancer drug, cetuximab
People with antibodies related to alpha-gal syndrome can have allergic reactions to the cancer drug cetuximab (Erbitux). Cetuximab-induced cases of this condition are most common in regions with a high population of Lone Star ticks, suggesting a possible link between Lone Star tick bites and an increased vulnerability to alpha-gal syndrome. More research is needed to understand the connection between ticks that carry alpha-gal in certain regions and cases of alpha-gal syndrome that don't seem directly linked to tick bites."

From the Mayo Clinic web site:

Overview
Alpha-gal syndrome is a recently identified type of food allergy to red meat. In the United States, the condition most often begins when a Lone Star tick bite transmits a sugar molecule called alpha-gal into the body. In some people, this triggers an immune system reaction that later produces mild to severe allergic reactions when they eat red meat.

The Lone Star tick is found predominantly in the southeastern United States, and most cases of alpha-gal syndrome occur in this region. The condition appears to be spreading farther north and west, however, as deer carry the Lone Star tick to new parts of the United States. Alpha-gal syndrome also has been diagnosed in Europe, Australia, and Asia, where other types of ticks carry alpha-gal molecules.

Researchers now believe that some people who have frequent, unexplained anaphylactic reactions – and who test negative for other food allergies – may be affected by alpha-gal syndrome. There's no treatment other than avoiding red meat.

Avoiding tick bites is the key to prevention. Protect against tick bites by wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and using insect repellents when you're in wooded, grassy areas. Do a thorough, full-body tick check after spending time outside.

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of an alpha-gal allergic reaction are often delayed compared with other food allergies. Most reactions to common food allergens – peanuts or shellfish, for example – happen within minutes of exposure. In alpha-gal syndrome, signs and symptoms typically don't appear for three to six hours after eating red meat.

Signs and symptoms of alpha-gal syndrome may include:

Hives, itching, or itchy, scaly skin (eczema)

Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat, or other body parts

Wheezing or shortness of breath

A runny nose

Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting

Sneezing

Headaches

Anaphylaxis, a severe, potentially deadly allergic reaction that restricts breathing

Doctors think the time delay between eating red meat and developing an allergic reaction is one reason the condition was overlooked until recently: A possible connection between a T-bone steak with dinner and hives at midnight was far from obvious.

When to see a doctor

See your primary care doctor or a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies (allergist) if you experience food allergy symptoms after eating – even several hours after eating. Don't rule out red meat as a possible cause of your reaction, especially if you live or spend time outdoors in the southeastern United States or in other parts of the world where alpha-gal syndrome is known to occur.

Seek emergency medical treatment if you develop signs or symptoms of anaphylaxis, such as:

Difficulty breathing

Rapid, weak pulse

Dizziness or lightheadedness

Drooling and inability to swallow

Full-body redness and warmth (flushing)

Causes

Most people who develop alpha-gal syndrome in the U.S. develop the condition when a Lone Star tick bites them. Bites from other types of ticks can lead to the condition in Europe, Australia and Asia.

Tick bites

Ticks that cause alpha-gal syndrome are believed to carry alpha-gal molecules from the blood of the animals they commonly bite, such as cows and sheep. When a carrier tick bites a human, the tick injects alpha-gal into the person's body.

For unknown reasons, some people have such a strong immune response to these molecules that they can no longer eat red meat without a mild to severe allergic reaction. People who are exposed to many tick bites over time may develop more-severe symptoms.

The cancer drug, cetuximab

People with antibodies related to alpha-gal syndrome can have allergic reactions to the cancer drug cetuximab (Erbitux). Cetuximab-induced cases of this condition are most common in regions with a high population of Lone Star ticks, suggesting a possible link between Lone Star tick bites and an increased vulnerability to alpha-gal syndrome. More research is needed to understand the connection between ticks that carry alpha-gal in certain regions and cases of alpha-gal syndrome that don't seem directly linked to tick bites.

Researchers think the hallmark time-delayed reaction of alpha-gal syndrome is due to the alpha-gal molecules taking longer than other allergens to be digested and enter your circulatory system.

Risk factors

Doctors don't yet know why some people develop alpha-gal syndrome after exposure and others don't. The condition mostly occurs in the southeastern United States and parts of New York, New Jersey and New England. You're at increased risk if you live or spend time in these regions and:

Spend a lot of time outdoors

Have received multiple Lone Star tick bites

Have a mast cell abnormality such as indolent systemic mastocytosis

In the past 20 to 30 years, the Lone Star tick has been found in large numbers as far north as Maine and as far west as central Texas and Oklahoma in the United States.

Alpha-gal syndrome can also occur in other parts of the world such as Europe, Australia and parts of Asia, where bites from certain types of ticks also appear to increase your risk of the condition.

Complications

Alpha-gal syndrome can cause food-induced anaphylaxis, a medical emergency that requires treatment with an epinephrine (adrenaline) injector (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) and a trip to the emergency room.

Anaphylaxis signs and symptoms can include:

Constriction of airways

Swelling of the throat that makes it difficult to breathe

A severe drop in blood pressure (shock)

Rapid pulse

Dizziness, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness

Based on recent research, doctors now believe that some people with unexplained, frequent anaphylaxis may be living with undiagnosed alpha-gal syndrome.

Prevention

The best way to prevent alpha-gal syndrome is to avoid areas where ticks live, especially wooded, bushy areas with long grass. You can decrease your risk of getting alpha-gal syndrome with some simple precautions:

Cover up.*When in wooded or grassy areas, wear shoes, long pants tucked into your socks, a long-sleeved shirt, a hat and gloves. Try to stick to trails and avoid walking through low bushes and long grass. Keep your dog on a leash.

Use insect repellents.*Apply insect repellent with a 20 percent or higher concentration of DEET to your skin. Parents should apply repellent to their children, avoiding their hands, eyes and mouths. Keep in mind that chemical repellents can be toxic, so follow directions carefully. Apply products with permethrin to clothing or buy pre-treated clothing.

Do your best to tick-proof your yard.Clear brush and leaves where ticks live. Keep woodpiles in sunny areas.

Check yourself, your children and your pets for ticks.*Be especially vigilant after spending time in wooded or grassy areas.

It's helpful to shower as soon as you come indoors.*Ticks often remain on your skin for hours before attaching themselves. Showering and using a washcloth might remove unattached ticks.

Remove a tick as soon as possible with tweezers.*Gently grasp the tick near its head or mouth. Don't squeeze or crush the tick, but pull carefully and steadily. Once you've removed the entire tick, dispose of it and apply antiseptic to the bite area.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks!!!!! They are one of the things top on the list of what I hate. My property was loaded with them. You couldn't even go there and camp. I've literally had 100's of them on me at a time. The real little ones. Two springs ago, we spread some kind of powder in about a half acre area, right where we hangout and camp as a test. It works!!! We went back a few times since and nothing...not one that we could find in that area. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it, and it is harmful to cats. But the local farm supply in that area had it by the pallet fulls.

I was told by a Dr. that the hand sanitizer works to keep them away, I've never tried it. Most the time after the woods or every night camping we have "tick checks". And in the bad season we check each other often. And yes!!! I've had these things so bad!! That I stripped down naked, threw my infested clothes in an old cooler, and my wife spent hours picking them off of me with tweezers where I couldn't reach. I never in my life thought you could run into that many...Every square inch of my body was covered, tiny little things that are no bigger than a freckle. The first time I was infested with them...I was so freaked out that I shaved my whole body like a woman, arms legs, etc... except my head!!!! HAHA I hate parasites and freaked out...It was my way of making sure that I checked EVERY SPOT!!!! hahaha Funny to admit...but true! Now, I'm use to it and I don't freak out when I get into them. You just have to be very thorough and watch where you put clothes,tents, or anything when you get home. We've even found them in the car weeks after the first infestation. Now, we change clothes, shoes, and do checks before even getting back into the car or truck. Then everything goes into something sealed to deal with at a later date....and they will live a long time in there.

If your in an area infested with them? Check your local farm feed and supply type place for what to use. I spread that powder and I'm a believer!!!

Another thing...And this isn't fool proof, but there is a website that you can check how many people have been infected. I think it was on a CDC site. That gives you a real good indicator if you need to be worried about diseases. As an example...There were no known tick related disease or illness in the area where I ran into them. That helps the anxiety s a little. But you still need to be real careful!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread