Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tick season. Makes me cring just writing that. In the spring, it's the tiny nymphs that apearantly can even be blown onto you by the wind. They hang out on the tips of grass along the trail. Not all, but some carry diseases. Not just Lyme. I would like to start a discussion where:

1) Those that have been successful in preventing ticks on clothing and skin.

2) Those that have prevented becoming sick with medical treatment.

3) Those that know about treatment in the medical field.

4) Those living with an ailment from a tick bite.

I realize this last one may be hard for those that are ill from ticks. I am truly sorry for what has happened to you. Ticks may be the most dangerous critter we face outside. It would be a stark lesson for us all to hear your stories to encourage us all to use the best possible preventitive measures. Some folks need motivation (me included). At least, we could share our successes, our stories, and maybe have all the ways to do this right in one discussion. Maybe it could save someone from getting sick or even, save a life.
Ok, so, I have never been sick from a bite but have been bitten several times over the years. Only recently, like last year did I even know of the dangers. I knew about Lyme, but, in reading about Lyme, I read about several other very dangerous diseases. I think I saw 5. Holy cow, if I had known that, I would have been very careful and gone to get checked! Two Toes recently did a video on critters to watch out for. He deemed the tick to be the most concerning. He goes to get checked if he gets bit by one. He's had the "bull's eye" mark and was successful in treatment. With this being said. It would be invaluable to have your stories on this topic here in one discussion. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! TG

Upvote 0

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the ticks are going to be bad this season. They are already out in the brush in El Dorado county. The best prevention is to touch no vegetation, but this is often impossible. I've notice that on trails they will hang on tall green grass blades waiting to hook onto a passing animal. Ticks can be seen on the ends of vegetation hanging on with a few legs and two legs hanging out like hooks to snag onto any passing animal. So, avoid walking through tall green grass on trails in the spring. When the grass dries to yellow and it is hot they no longer seem to survive on it. Ticks rarely hang on Manzanita. They seem to like the Chamise bush a lot so I always avoid touching these. They will also hang on both types of Ceanothus (buck brush) in El Dorado county, but not as often as the Chamise. I've also noticed that ticks can thrive in a patch of green thistles even when all other vegetation is dried out. They always seem to be most prevalant on any sunny or south facing slope or trail. I spray (soak) my boots and pant legs with insect repellent if I expect only my pants will be touching vegetation. I also wear a surplus cotton/camo military jackat and soak the sleeves and shoulders if I need to bust through brush. I'll stop and inspect for ticks every 5 minutes or so. I've done a tick test near my house before where I walked about 100 feet through Chamise brush during the height of tick season. I easily picked up 30 or so ticks. At these time it is not possible to walk through heavy brush.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehrlichiosis is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum), found primarily in the south central and eastern U.S. (Lyme disease on steroids)

This is the tick disease that jumped on my life about ten years ago. I was unfortunate to have a mutated version like mrsa jump on my bones. I had a very long stay in intensive care and one time had to be revived. This version was first found in the US at Ft. Sill Ok. many years ago and was easily treatable with normal medications. My case however was the first mutated version seen so I became a study case during the lengthy hospital stay. This version effected my heart, lungs, and diaphragm. The end result was extreme breathing problems and limited activity. Since then I have adapted a daily exercise program with speed walking and of course metal detecting. The diaphragm damage requires that I sleep setting upright which took some getting use to.

My suggestion to anyone who knowingly has a tick bite and notices anything out of the ordinary going on with their body to seek a medical evaluation immediately. Waiting to see what is happening allows the disease to get a firm hold on things and then becomes very difficult to treat.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the pleasure of getting 20-40 deer ticks on me a year. I usually get them out within the 48 hours it takes for them to infect you with Lyme. On ones that have gotten dug in, after I pull them out I use tea tree oil which is a strong natural local antibiotic on the bite. I have had itchy sores that lasted a month or so but so far have not contracted Lyme disease. You can get tea tree oil at most health food stores and some drug stores. I don't know if I am just naturally immune to the Lyme (I was born immune to poison ivy) or if it is the tea tree oil doing the job. The main thing is to get the ticks out before 48 hours has elapsed, you shouldn't get Lyme if you do so. I also live on the east coast and we have a lot of Lyme around but very little other tick borne diseases.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had the pleasure of getting 20-40 deer ticks on me a year. I usually get them out within the 48 hours it takes for them to infect you with Lyme. On ones that have gotten dug in, after I pull them out I use tea tree oil which is a strong natural local antibiotic on the bite. I have had itchy sores that lasted a month or so but so far have not contracted Lyme disease. You can get tea tree oil at most health food stores and some drug stores. I don't know if I am just naturally immune to the Lyme (I was born immune to poison ivy) or if it is the tea tree oil doing the job. The main thing is to get the ticks out before 48 hours has elapsed, you shouldn't get Lyme if you do so. I also live on the east coast and we have a lot of Lyme around but very little other tick borne diseases.
Thanks Gunsil for your post! I understand that you have not contracted the disease. It's possible the tea tree oil has worked. However, without actually knowing, I would prefer that information be factual and verified before we give folks the idea that this works and then they get the disease. That would be a diservice and possibly even cost a life. I respect the fact that you've had hundreds of bites. It could even be conceivable you have been bitten and none of the ticks had the disease. We need to be careful on this topic. I really don't want to speculate. Even if there's strong "suspicion" that tea tree oil has indeed worked. I need to know of hard evidence of it's effectiveness AND it's use in regards to amounts, method of application AND how soon it must be applied AND how long it must be applied, AND, should the person be checked ANYWAY incase an infection is starting. I can imagine it would help combat but wouldn't it be wise to KNOW it's been stopped?
Lets have this kind post about meds, and, let the poster pose the question as to its effectiveness, so someone with medical expertise may chime in. Thank you, TG

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hip-boots.Deet tick spray.Shower..... 001.JPG

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gunsil for your post! I understand that you have not contracted the disease. It's possible the tea tree oil has worked. However, without actually knowing, I would prefer that information be factual and verified before we give folks the idea that this works and then they get the disease. That would be a diservice and possibly even cost a life. I respect the fact that you've had hundreds of bites. It could even be conceivable you have been bitten and none of the ticks had the disease. We need to be careful on this topic. I really don't want to speculate. Even if there's strong "suspicion" that tea tree oil has indeed worked. I need to know of hard evidence of it's effectiveness AND it's use in regards to amounts, method of application AND how soon it must be applied AND how long it must be applied, AND, should the person be checked ANYWAY incase an infection is starting. I can imagine it would help combat but wouldn't it be wise to KNOW it's been stopped?
Lets have this kind post about meds, and, let the poster pose the question as to its effectiveness, so someone with medical expertise may chime in. Thank you, TG

The itchy sores is a warning but what you do not feel is the process of your white count (blood) slowly dropping and then your immune goes to hell. The indication to me was a slow feeling of being extremely tired and me passing it off as maybe some lack of good rest. A quick check in my local ER determined that I needed to be in intensive care immediately.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am out every day in deer tick country, and yet as a logger/farmer have not gotten Lyme though I have been heavily tested for it. (They thought my fatigue was coming from Lyme at one point).

I attribute my lack of the disease from always wearing muck boots and long pants. (But I do not know)

They say wearing pantyhose will keep them off you, but I am not sure I am ready to go that far. I can just see me getting hurt out in the woods or something, and then the warden's rescuing me, then looking at me as if went prospecting-crossdressing or something. It would be a lot of explaining at the hospital that is for sure...

My dog has Lyme sadly enough. I am a sheep farmer and she is a sheep dog so she is outside everyday. They say it makes her lethargic, but she has two coyote and two fox kills to her credit, so she has not been retired yet because of it.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am out every day in deer tick country, and yet as a logger/farmer have not gotten Lyme though I have been heavily tested for it. (They thought my fatigue was coming from Lyme at one point).

I attribute my lack of the disease from always wearing muck boots and long pants. (But I do not know)

They say wearing pantyhose will keep them off you, but I am not sure I am ready to go that far. I can just see me getting hurt out in the woods or something, and then the warden's rescuing me, then looking at me as if went prospecting-crossdressing or something. It would be a lot of explaining at the hospital that is for sure...

My dog has Lyme sadly enough. I am a sheep farmer and she is a sheep dog so she is outside everyday. They say it makes her lethargic, but she has two coyote and two fox kills to her credit, so she has not been retired yet because of it.
So, is the mesh on panty hose small enough and tough enough to prevent a tick bite? Answers anyone? Maybe even 2 layers?

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been bitten by a lot of ticks tromping through the Motherload Country. Usually there is always the red dot that lasts for weeks due to the nasty bacteria these things inject. I also had the red bulls eye target once, but other than soreness at the bite site, it hasnt done me in. I always soak the bite with hydrogen peroxide. Does that help or not, I dont know. I personally feel everyone's body reacts differently to these bites. One guy may have more alkaline blood or something, and no reactions, and the next guy gets crazy sick. Its like the flu. Sometime you are exposed and the body fights it off, and other times it can kill you.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive been bitten by a lot of ticks tromping through the Motherload Country. Usually there is always the red dot that lasts for weeks due to the nasty bacteria these things inject. I also had the red bulls eye target once, but other than soreness at the bite site, it hasnt done me in. I always soak the bite with hydrogen peroxide. Does that help or not, I dont know. I personally feel everyone's body reacts differently to these bites. One guy may have more alkaline blood or something, and no reactions, and the next guy gets crazy sick. Its like the flu. Sometime you are exposed and the body fights it off, and other times it can kill you.
Hi Bug, welcome and thanks for posting!
I understand you may feel ok for now. Have you been tested and confirmed free of any tick borne disease? This is a quote:

"Lyme disease can*remain*dormant*for weeks, months or even years. When symptoms do eventually develop, they can*be severe and patients often need aggressive treatment. Intravenous treatment is often required to treat late-stage infection. Late-stage treatment*can*last many months as seen in other infections as well."
So, for your sake, do you know? I'd hate to hear bad news from you down the road. Also, I don't want anyone reading this to think that it is ok to not be checked out even if they get the classic signs. It would be risky and possibly life threatening for someone to rely on that. I'm glad you are ok! TG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only had two encounters. Dog ticks, no after effects. I think I taste bad. One bit and died! Without my help!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about Permethrin? I've heard using it on external fabric works well to kill ticks on contact in seconds. I've also read to wear eye and skin and breathing protection when applying. And not to spray inside ones home. I read a study that may link permethrin exposure combined with Deet exposure to have shown a possible correlation to nervous system damage like the kind that occoured in the Kuwait War.
As I see this, one is to use the permethrin spray with the proper eye, mouth, skin protection, then spray onto external clothing throughly wetting then allow to completely dry. I read that it is the liquid that is a problem. Then, a person can put the deet on another day as long as there has been no permethrin liquid exposure. Then put the clothing on that has dried. I've seen ticks fall off in 5 seconds on the test videos. I'm thinking, shoes, packs, pant cuffs, etc. Anyone have info on Permethryn and Deet safe useage?

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only had two encounters. Dog ticks, no after effects. I think I taste bad. One bit and died! Without my help!
Thank you smokeythecat!
Glad you're ok! Have you been tested to know for sure you have no diseases?

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, is the mesh on panty hose small enough and tough enough to prevent a tick bite? Answers anyone? Maybe even 2 layers?
Second thought, that would be very warm and on a hot day, probably not going to happen. Maybe during the months that are cool enough. How about two layers and the outer layer treated with Permethrin?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clothing washed in Permethryn is very effective, but if you do not have this available and have to venture out in those prime tick areas you can use this method. Just use good heavy rubber bands on your pant legs and shirt sleeves. Keep a watchful eye on your clothing so your neck and head area does not get a critter on the march to find bare skin. The buddy system works well if you have someone with you to occasionally scan to see if any ticks are present. Though not as effective as the permethryn deet is readily available most places if needed. The effects of a bad tick bite can remain dormant for a very long time and depending on things like very strong immune systems may keep some without symptoms that would lead to an examination that might confirm the presents of that problem. I will say again "getting a tick bite requires a very high degree of attention" and just don't log it off as the possibility that it is something else. Get yourself checked!!!!!

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can find it, cedar oil spray will keep them away

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you can find it, cedar oil spray will keep them away
I'm curious how effective this is. Any test results? Documentation vs say, deet? I've read some thing about garlic oil working as well and even one country that is experimenting with their military. Poor guys, I bet they don't have too many friends during the test...

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tahoegold, I use permethrin. From what I know, everything you’ve said is correct. I’ve been using permethrin by soaking my shirt, pants, and hat, for a few years and I like it, mostly for mosquitoes it helps, There’s not a ton of ticks where I roam normally but I have found 2 on me. Only one was dug in a little, didn’t find it until the next morning, it was in my back but came out when I brushed with my hand. I don’t remember if on that particular outing I had been using my permethrin treated clothes but I am inclined k say either no or that it had been several washes since I’d treated them.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks stay away from me because i drink beer. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread