Why do you prospect for gold?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The reason why I prospect is to get rich! Ha! The excuse I use is it gets me out of the house and keeps me in shape. Prospecting is hard work and lots of moving around, hiking, digging, adventure, with the possibility of rewards! I met one guy that has sold more gold than I could ever know, but made more on the gravel he supplied from his land. After seeing that, I thought, how can I retire on finding a nice pile of Gold? It would have to be pounds. I've heard of quarts having gold and sliced into pieces going for hundreds of thousands. That was discovered on an existing claim using a professional geologist to map the vein. Still, the guy that owned the claim had so much money already that it was a fraction of his worth. So, what was the allure? Fun, personal conquest? The average prospector is getting a gram if they are lucky in an outing I think, of course, no one in their right mind would admit to more if they really found a pile.
I also know of a guy that found 10 lbs and someone came in and dug his unclaimed spot 10ft across and 15 ft deep. He had gone only 5ft. It was all gone. He never found out how someone discovered his site.
Prospecting is dangerous and attracts the larcenous qualities in people.
In the turn of the century, 1900s, there was a certain kind of miner that only liked gold hard rock mining. In WWII, America hijacked these miners for nickle and other metals for the war effort. It didn't work out well, the miners weren't motivated.
So, those who have claims, mines etc, why do you do it? Is it your way of making a living? If so, is it fun?
What motivates you to do this? How do you prospect? What is your goal?

Upvote 0

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as big mining is safe so is small scale.

I'm a couple tears younger than you.

Been prospecting since I was sixteen.

Reading the weekenders complain about the big guys the whole time..

The main reason they do so? Misplaced envy.

Sorry to hear about your son.

I have a sixteen year old Son. Who is getting shipped of to grandma.

To much distraction for him in Babylon. He's going to live in Lone Pine, Ca. So, I get to go back to my old Eastern Sierra stomping grounds.

So, Fishing, desert prospecting and rock hounding are in my future. Unlike his Bio mom. I'm actually going to visit him often.He's been with me full time since he was four. Has a full sister thats staying here.

He has two young half sister that don't need to watch him be a screw up.

So, three daughters a hoodlum and I also have a cute Wife named Katie like you.

Sad thing is no matter what you teach them at home. They head off for the day to hang out and be taught by people who could give a crap about heritage.

Let alone any type of apprenticeship.

I do it for the sheer joy of finding color. Maybe one day I will find enough to actually pay for the equipment I have built but I am not holding my breath.

Ya'll are not alone on the wayward son.. I have one that can't keep a needle out of his arm and has robbed his family (me, his sister and his now passed on grandparents) blind, yet the law keeps putting him back out on the streets without much of a hand slap. It has gotten beyond horrible in AK where the laws were changed to keep less "dangerous" criminals out of jails in an effort to save money. The consequences are that the druggies know that at most they will get a day or two in jail then be back on the streets to rob the next person blind. It kills my soul to see these kids going down that road because the only consequence for their actions is death and that does not seem to be much of a deterrent these days.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weve been getting our milk straight out the teet for a few years now and the dairy farmers sold out and moved.
It was the best milk I'd ever had and for a reasonable price AND I MISS IT!
Theres nothing like farm fresh milk.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do I prospect? Guess I'm just awful fond of trophies :laughing7:

I do it because I use to hunt and fish until I started having a change of heart towards killing. No I'm not anti that stuff now just found another way to embrace nature, keep myself busy and happy and curb the fever (which is another reason as well,the fever is REAL!)

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's Y
Y.jpg

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do it for the sheer joy of finding color. Maybe one day I will find enough to actually pay for the equipment I have built but I am not holding my breath.

Ya'll are not alone on the wayward son.. I have one that can't keep a needle out of his arm and has robbed his family (me, his sister and his now passed on grandparents) blind, yet the law keeps putting him back out on the streets without much of a hand slap. It has gotten beyond horrible in AK where the laws were changed to keep less "dangerous" criminals out of jails in an effort to save money. The consequences are that the druggies know that at most they will get a day or two in jail then be back on the streets to rob the next person blind. It kills my soul to see these kids going down that road because the only consequence for their actions is death and that does not seem to be much of a deterrent these days.

Man that sucks.

I lost my brother-in-law and best friend to drugs. I have never had the stuff, even the stuff you smoke, but that does not mean Katie and I do not care. I know it is not enough, but we do a big fun raiser every year for dug addiction. We can see forever at the top of our hill (150 miles) so we do an annual benefit concert. Its a pretty big event, with 6 bands, food, bounce houses for the kids, etc, all for free. We do not charge for anything, even the food is free, but have donation buckets out, and the community has donated in excess of $10,000 in the two years we have done it.

It is not much, but we are doing something, or as my wife says, "We don't have much, but we do have room", so we open up our farm every year. I know I come across as being a jerk on here sometimes, and I can be, but I do really care about families and community (so does Katie).

All the money goes to Teen Challenge which a Christian based drug rehabilitation program. They have 1100 campuses around the world, and I think 600 in the United States. We support them because they have a 87% success rate based on people who graduate the program after 6 years. The government programs have a 3% success rate after 6 years.

Again, I just hope that you realize the community does care, and that people are trying to do something about this problem.

As a side note: due to attendance doubling in size every year, we are going to benefit drug addiction AND homelessness because the two are interrelated. I have a friend who runs two homeless shelter's in Maine and three in Florida.

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thread.

I can't find anything to disagree with. The full range of emotions, philosophy and education for me. But, I think, one point of view is somewhat missing: that of the older "amateur prospector." When you get the fever in your eighties, frugality and pounds of gold and its value are not even part of the conversation.

What does matter is the light in the West. The smell of trout water and alfalfa. The damp earth, dry dust, cockleburrs and cheat grass in your socks. A cold shower and a rib steak at some no-name joint after a hard day.

I do like the parts about how much gold prospecting costs - at all levels. Knowing this, for those of you with a claim, why not offset some of your expenses by charging guys like me who would like to smell your alfalfa and mess around in your dirt? The pay to dig idea has always appealed to me becasue it is such a fair exchange of value: Hard cash for access, education, and adventure. I have never done this but would sure like too. I have no idea what they charge but, say $50.00 - 100.00 a day would be a real bargain.

Driving from Florida to the far West (where we were raised) to a gold bearing area, doing days of research, driving around and around in unknown territory looking for access without getting in trouble in the middle of nowhere - then driving back to the motel without even dipping the pan, can get discouraging.

Those who have done the research, with days - years of boots on the ground, who know of fun places to prospect have EARNED a valuable product even without a claim.

So, I intend to start a thread, for those of you who may have an interest in profiting from your investment.

Have more money than time.

Thurman

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome thread.

I can't find anything to disagree with. The full range of emotions, philosophy and education for me. But, I think, one point of view is somewhat missing: that of the older "amateur prospector." When you get the fever in your eighties, frugality and pounds of gold and its value are not even part of the conversation.

What does matter is the light in the West. The smell of trout water and alfalfa. The damp earth, dry dust, cockleburrs and cheat grass in your socks. A cold shower and a rib steak at some no-name joint after a hard day.

I do like the parts about how much gold prospecting costs - at all levels. Knowing this, for those of you with a claim, why not offset some of your expenses by charging guys like me who would like to smell your alfalfa and mess around in your dirt? The pay to dig idea has always appealed to me becasue it is such a fair exchange of value: Hard cash for access, education, and adventure. I have never done this but would sure like too. I have no idea what they charge but, say $50.00 - 100.00 a day would be a real bargain.

Driving from Florida to the far West (where we were raised) to a gold bearing area, doing days of research, driving around and around in unknown territory looking for access without getting in trouble in the middle of nowhere - then driving back to the motel without even dipping the pan, can get discouraging.

Those who have done the research, with days - years of boots on the ground, who know of fun places to prospect have EARNED a valuable product even without a claim.

So, I intend to start a thread, for those of you who may have an interest in profiting from your investment.

Have more money than time.

Thurman

Here are two things that will help you "do it yourself" at little cost for one and nothing for the other. Buy this members book (pm him to find out where). http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/prospectors-journals/463741-kevin-colorado-elsewhere.html. It gives specific info for places to pan legally and for free in Colorado and several are in the immediate Denver metro area.....meaning easy day trip outings from a hotel or motel base if you are not a camper. Most of the others may be too. Colorado ain't California but it is just as beautiful and one of my favorite places to visit. The other thing is to learn how to use this site. Welcome to Land Matters. It has a current listing of active claims state by state (focus on the western states) as well as a lot of other useful info. I'm far from being a spring chicken myself (probably close to your age) and my prospecting usually starts with finding the general location of claims in my areas of interest, be it near my home or near where I want to motel it when on the road, then prospecting close by those claims on legal land. If you are not sure of the laws in various states then ask questions here on the forum. That said, there is at least one place in California that caters to those willing to pay for play....prospect on their property. Some say too pricey but beggers can't be choosers and it may be right down your alley.

Good luck.

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
the reason i prospect is because i love the outdoors. i love learning new things, especially if it involves being outdoors. the history that is blatant and latent is fascinating to me. learning the geology, its a puzzle that has so many parts you never know when its complete. besides cleaning gold is much easier than cleaning a turkey.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Orecart, I've never read you being a jerk so I dont get that from you at all. Ive had alot of deleted posts so trust me on that. Your posts are well within bounds of being just fine and completely civilized as far as I can tell. Write on brother. That's what we are here for and you're good to go.
Thurman, there are alot of claim owners that might want help testing or help digging a big hole so that's gold you should be able to keep. Everything you do on someone's claim is going to benefit them with info and whatever holes you start and that's payment enough. I'd never dream of charging anyone to dig at my spot and I'd never even think about taking any of the gold they get especially after they start a good hole and move rocks for a day. That's just plain wrong.
If a person would rather say you can dig for 50 or 100 bucks rather than just saying "no", seems like his greed is talking. Surely you can find someone that wants help or even to double up on a dig. It's a chance for you to learn and they get your help, a fair trade.

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnnybravo & arizau,

I hear you. But there are so many generous folks on this forum. I am just a strange guy. My wife and I don't even bunk with relatives when traveling. I just hate the idea of imposing any inconvenience on someone and nice motels are very affordable.

I have to prospecting book on Utah, and plan on getting Kevin's before I leave even though Colorado is not in the schedule. There is iron in Kevin's words!

No, I am not rich. I was just lucky to retire early from engineering work at G.E./Lockheed....and that was 25 years ago. So honestly, I really do have more money than time. Think about it. Or look up an actuarial chart if you need proof.

So, I understand generosity and the hesitation of gentlemen to be rewarded. Nor would I want to insult anyone on purpose. At the same time I insist on paying AND buying the steak dinner, as gentlemanly as possible. Some folks may actually need the money but would never ask. Been there.

I think of any "payment" more like a contribution...to the cause.

This actually is a little harder to talk about than I thought - without being cute, moralistic, or snotty. Funny in a way - us Westerners were brought up to not talk much. I just love being outside and on the chase. It has enormous value to me. You may notice I have not said anything about actually finding gold.

Best regards to all, Thurman

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Thurman,
It's prospecting that is so much fun. If you were finding gold it'd be mining! Ha! Prospecting is the chase! It's putting knowledge and skill to use to just find the gold spots. Then, find the best concentrations. Then, it's MINING time! Or, some small scale miners like me call it, "production". That's when ya have a shovel and a lunch and it's work! Only it doesn't seem like it because you KNOW you're on the gold! Sometimes I forget what time it is! My back usually let's me know when it's break time!
I appreciate your posting. Your right about the smells and things one experiences getting "out". Well said! I bet that before you get out here you'll haves some place to go that has gold! You're on a good website to have some help finding it. In the Motherload here in Calif. there's public access places. You can find color in those places with a pan. You wont get rich, but you'll have some gold!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For me, it's all about being in the outdoors. I always need a reason to be out there, and lost my lust to kill animals, so prospecting filled the void. I also enjoy the challenge of finding what others haven't :-)
Jim

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Thurman,
It's prospecting that is so much fun. If you were finding gold it'd be mining! Ha! Prospecting is the chase! It's putting knowledge and skill to use to just find the gold spots. Then, find the best concentrations. Then, it's MINING time! Or, some small scale miners like me call it, "production". That's when ya have a shovel and a lunch and it's work! Only it doesn't seem like it because you KNOW you're on the gold! Sometimes I forget what time it is! My back usually let's me know when it's break time!
I appreciate your posting. Your right about the smells and things one experiences getting "out". Well said! I bet that before you get out here you'll haves some place to go that has gold! You're on a good website to have some help finding it. In the Motherload here in Calif. there's public access places. You can find color in those places with a pan. You wont get rich, but you'll have some gold!

Now I thought I was the only one that did this!! :icon_thumleft:

As I said, I am looking to see where the gold bearing area lies is, so I am not concerned about "mining it" at the moment. I will often see color in my pan, then just dump it out figuring I will get it the next time when I am really after it.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plus ya gotta prospect/sample once ya start minning! Today I'm throwing a couple of buckets through the sluice, it was a nice cloudy day perfect temp. Go to do a clean out. Whaa? Just some tiny dust for gold. I had been diggin out this perfect line of 2' boulders that started off testing possitive for good gold. That was on the top 1 foot however. The boulders 2 feet down had nada! So, thinking of this thread today big time. I went to work sampling the gravels. Sure nuff, found a 10 foot length 1ft deep that was the pay. It ran right on top of the boulders. !???! The rest of the day I could just dig and know I was on the right spot now. Lesson learned. Even though I have an inspection mat, which actually helped today, make sure you do all the steps of prospecting so you dont waste time. I'm sold on sampling and mapping a spot now. Glad I did it early in the day. It really made a difference in my take as well. It really doesnt take very long to find the perimiter of a streak. It took a lot less time than digging and sluicing for nada!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread