Dredging the Desert?!

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
image0_001.jpg Here they're digging the Pond downhill from Randsburg,CA in the Fremont Valley.

image0.jpg Here's the Dredge in operation

image0_002.jpg Close up of the Dredge. The mining Engineer in charge was Mort Richardson of Consolidated Placer Dredging Co.-Irvine,Ca. I had the pleasure of meeting him when we went out to lunch back in the early 2000's and then went back to his office. Cool thing was in his scrapbook of pictures, he showed me a pic of Grandfather's mine from back in the mid 1930's that they dug up. He was impressed that my Grandfather had located the most concentrated/richest area on the slopes of Rand Mountain which led to the 1st dredging operation just after WWII there.

I'm posting this as this subject came up on the "Drywashing Forum" of all places and I was looking through my late Aunt's stuff last night and found these pictures. I thought the group might be interested to know that a commercial dredge was used not once but twice in the Mojave desert. Also, Mort told me that the geologist determined that an Ancient River that flowed from Atolia brought the gold based on the way the rocks were laid out across the desert there. There used to be an old Wives tale about some Ancient River that came around Johanesburg to this area. I wrote the late Geologist Thomas Dibblee about that tale and he told me that he was unaware of such a river and then Mort confirmed that the Ancient River came from the opposite direction. Nice to hear it from such big players in the mining/Geology game. Thomas Dibblee died one month after I wrote him,that was close timing!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for sharing - Very Cool!:headbang:

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool...thanks for sharing! Randsburg is a cool little area, billing itself as a "living ghost town" (as there are still a small number of full-time residents). There is a TON of old mining equipment sprinkled all throughout the area. Here's a link to some pictures of the town, a few mines & mining equipment - https://www.talesfromthedesert.com/portfolio/randsburg/

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool place,i get to drive by there alot on the way to our claims,ive detected around that pond and found some old piping and stuff.theres not anything open in town weekdays

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread