Lead mining, or other byproducts?

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watching vidieos especally doc in georga but also Dan Hurd in british columbia lead shows up in the heavys and I wondered if any one colects the lead for recycling. I can't see myse;f intentionally tossing lead back into the stream and since we bring home the cons anyway (shrug) thinking fill up a coffee can get a couple dollersw at the recycler.

and another stray thought I talked to the scrap yard and they would not take magnatite even though you could give them a pretty pure product that is what two thirds iron?

maybe i'm just crazy or maybe been brainwashed but every time pretty much I see an aluminium can ismashed in a parking lot I toss it in my pickup. I also pickup nails when I see them in a roadwaqys or parking lot. one of my favorite geology professors had a rock named after his Moyelite. its a rock found out of place hecause he would pick up rocks and often trade them for other rocks ofte higher up the mountian where logically they could not be.

best wishes to everyone and thankyou for all that you have helped me learn on this forum and safe travels and best of luck to you this season.

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to find substantial quantities of lead while dredging on the Tuolumne, on shutdown the sluice would be fuzzy from all the bits of fishing line sticking out.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might as well save it. All the trash in the mountains drives us nuts and often times we'll stop and pick up beer cans and water bottles sitting right in the middle of the trail.

1 time we pulled into a camp site about 10PM, across the way was another group of people camped out. They decided for some reason at 10PM it was a good time to pack up and head home. When they left we noticed they left a fire soldering (in the middle of a fire ban with a large fire eating several houses 20 miles away). They also got stuck in the middle of the trail leaving and got in a shouting/ shooting match with another camp site. We used a good chunk of our drinking water to put out their fire and in the morning filled a whole shopping bag with their trash including a dozen half drank water bottles and a whole box of plastic forks in the middle of the trail that must have fallen out when they got stuck. Idiots like that are how we loose access to trails and there aren't enough trails as is in this area.

Good for you hauling out trash. I'll get off my soap box now.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I save these little guys throw em in the rock tumbler give a polish, sell to the tourist.
Byproduct from my dryplacering, black metalic rocks!!!
Gt....

IMG_20190410_170924.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I collect all the lead. I also produce petrified wood as a byproduct in one area I like to dig. I traded a bunch of it to a friend for some elk steaks a few years ago. Sweet deal for both of us :)

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best score was somebody's backpack. It was left behind at a falls on a park bench. I checked the parking lot...nobody. Went back and yelled to see if anyone was upstream and waited....nothing. Had to pick up their used water bottles and wrappers, and took the pack with me for cleaning up their mess. Inside was six full water bottles, 8 packs of Capri Sun, a full box of Ritz peanut butter crackers, bug spray, sunscreen, and a bunch of Leap Frog cassettes. Free goodies for beach mining, the cassettes went to a coworker's kids, and the pack became my vehicle survival kit.

I save any lead. If you know a blacksmith that makes his own steel, that's a wonderful place to get rid of clean magnetite. Most steel producers use taconite products. The taconite products can come with other elements sintered in depending on the type of steel you want to make. Japanese traditional smelters do use black beach sands for making steel for katanas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions