Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start with LandMatters get a list of claims in the area. Check county records and get locations and check for any claims that are newly filed. Watch for stakes and corner markers while you’re out in the field.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres not many markers out there and most people dont maintain anything so never expect to find markers. Youd be lucky to find corner posts at all and I've never found any when I look.
The county clerk has all the details and it's the only way to know for sure so check with landmatters and go there like previously said.
Remember that it's not a claim owners responsibility to tell you where you are.

Good luck out there!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AZ,
I don't want to discourage you, but the Black Hills is not known for many nuggets. I will however make your quest a little easier. I have a claim just east of the ghost town of Mystic SD. It is about 1/2 mile on the George Frink Rd. I will give you permission to metal detect it. I must inform you that it is an old depression era mine with old tunnels in the gravel banks so be careful. There is old cabin remains on the claim and an old outhouse. You cannot dig or recover any artifacts. That is against USFS regulations. There are no markers or signs as they keep getting stolen by tourist. Also to get to the main part of the claim you will have to walk about 1/4 a mile on the State bike path which runs through the middle of it. Also if you are a member of the GPAA there is a claim called the Maryann which borders my claim. I will need to know when you will be there and for how long. PM me with any questions and more detailed directions.

BH Prospector

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great app to use is onX hunt. It has a layer you can pick that shows claims. I use is for riding and hunting but last year I also used it to help a buddy find the markers on his claim. It was REALY REALY close to being spot on finding the corners and we found things he had not seen in 30 yrs since he was a kid. Yes, its a yearly subscription but it is well worth it. If I am going into and area that wont have service I download the maps of the areas I will be in and you have high res sat maps that work awesome even off line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread