nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guy's, Sorry I've been gone for a while with the passing of GI things just didn't seem the same. The gold section here changed a lot west coast stuff, newbies asking the same questions over and over not that it's a bad thing. Last season was crap! Started off bad on the way to kick off the season the motor in my truck decided to take a vacation with my camper on the back in the middle of nowhere NH. Sat on the side of the highway for 5hrs waiting for a ramp truck to grab my camper my truck was towed in 20 mins. That's a whole other story. Then health issues I got sick I lost 60 lbs. in a few months got told I had everything from IBS to cancer lots of doctor appointments and tests all for a med side effect. The spot I had got invaded and trashed. The FS decided to start moving boundries at their discretion to curb the problem. Needless to say the few times I got out the gold was spotty par for the course. However this year looks brighter. Got some ground off the map or should I say off the beaten path it looks promising. Now if it would thaw damn NH winters (stubborn) life will be good.

Upvote 0

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guy's, Sorry I've been gone for a while with the passing of GI things just didn't seem the same. The gold section here changed a lot west coast stuff, newbies asking the same questions over and over not that it's a bad thing. Last season was crap! Started off bad on the way to kick off the season the motor in my truck decided to take a vacation with my camper on the back in the middle of nowhere NH. Sat on the side of the highway for 5hrs waiting for a ramp truck to grab my camper my truck was towed in 20 mins. That's a whole other story. Then health issues I got sick I lost 60 lbs. in a few months got told I had everything from IBS to cancer lots of doctor appointments and tests all for a med side effect. The spot I had got invaded and trashed. The FS decided to start moving boundries at their discretion to curb the problem. Needless to say the few times I got out the gold was spotty par for the course. However this year looks brighter. Got some ground off the map or should I say off the beaten path it looks promising. Now if it would thaw damn NH winters (stubborn) life will be good.

Life can be tough sometimes for sure.

I have been chomping at the bit myself to get out and try some new streams, but every time I go, they have been snowed in. Even now, as I type this, the snowplow just went up over the hill. Really? I am used to a snowstorm in April, but then it warms up and the snow melts. They cancelled school on Monday, and it still snowed until Wednesday. Now it is back at it again. By the time it does snow, the blackflies will be out.

We got a house in New Hampshire, but live on a farm in Maine. My father-in-law wants to come out here and pan, but he is a fair-weather prospector so it has got to warm up for him first.

For right now I am just seeing what the best streams are, trying to find that eluvial gold, and having assay's done on lode deposits.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the health issues behind us now. Met some nice old people out riding around looking for a new place to go. They own a 1/4 of a mile of river I stopped and talked to them for awhile asking about their property and doing some prospecting they said there have been a couple of guy's panning a couple of years earlier. And they found color. They told me if I wanted to prospect to go for it. they even gave me their phone number so I can call to see about the water level. I too am waiting for the thaw. The ground looks awesome a big ravine with exposed bed rock some sharp bends, good drop and is in a gold bearing area. Can't wait.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr nugget good to hear from you. Thought you moved to Alaska or something. Its great your on the mend. Hope all is well now. Hope the new spot works out. Haven"t gotten out much either. Working again.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Trip! Last year was a rough one for sure. I had a camper up north for the summer no way to get there unless I rode with my mining partner he had a camper up north also we could only stay one night he had to be home the next day. On a lighter note the land I can prospect is an hour closer to home and no invaders! What a mess someone made at my old spot they dug the crap out of the banks, dammed up the river, had fire pits total cluster. We spent a lot of time repacking the banks with rock FS thanked us for doing that but kicked all of us out. then mysteriously the national forest boundary kept moving until it was down past us. So to save us from a lot of crap we left it.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We got a house in Lisbon, NH, but there is no gold there due to the dam by the police department.

My Father-in-law has prospected in the area and found some gold, but not a lot.

I am not sure about his practices though. He has a small vial of gold, but it is fairly big stuff for New England, so I suspect he may be missing a lot. His sister (my wife's aunt) lives in Grass Valley, CA and was a caretaker for a large landowner there, and that was where my father-in-law learned to pan or gold. I think he got used to the bigger gold, and is missing a lot of the little gold, because except for the occasional picker or flake, the majority of what I am seeing is flour gold. I see quite a bit of it, and everywhere, but I am not sure he is picking up on gold that small.

But we have never gone panning together either.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisbon is where most of the gold came from in NH let me know if you want to do some prospecting up there. I go to Twin Rivers campground all the time. And we day trip it after the campground closes. I'll doing mostly day trips this year. Let me know.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lisbon is where most of the gold came from in NH let me know if you want to do some prospecting up there. I go to Twin Rivers campground all the time. And we day trip it after the campground closes. I'll doing mostly day trips this year. Let me know.

Yeah that is what Triple D said as well. He jokingly said I was the golden boy for having a place in New Hampshire and Maine, both with gold, but that would be my father-in-law. He has a sister in Grass Valley, CA, has a home 800 feet from the gold mine in Lisbon, NH, and has a daughter that owns a farm in Maine with gold.

If you scroll through the topics on Triple D's "Gold in New Hampshire", or "Quest for Maine Gold", you will see where Triple D and I discussed a lot regarding the area.

Katie and I actually got married just downstream at the New Meadow Campground in North Haverhill, New Hampshire. I mean, literally got married there as we had previous marriages so our wedding was low-key. But she has a lot of family in Lisbon, Bath, Benton, North Haverhill, and Landaff as well.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all over that area in the summer. About the only place I haven't been is Lyman. I like it up there the people are extremely friendly. Me and my wife would live up in that area if it weren't for my 85 yr old parents kinda' have to keep an eye on them. LOL!

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm all over that area in the summer. About the only place I haven't been is Lyman. I like it up there the people are extremely friendly. Me and my wife would live up in that area if it weren't for my 85 yr old parents kinda' have to keep an eye on them. LOL!

We thought about living there full-time as well. I got cancer so we thought being close to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center would be nice, and Katie would be around her family. But for us it would be difficult because we have a farm in Maine, and while I did go to Dartmouth-Hitchcock for treatment, even they said there is nothing they can do for me.

I am not sure how I would like it either. The house we got is intown, and I am used to having space. I suppose we could buy land somewhere, but while New Hampshire is income and sales tax free, they make up for it on property taxes. Of course Lisbon has the highest property tax rate in that state anyway, but we pay more in property taxes for that house in town then we do for the two houses, and hundreds of acres we have in Maine. YIKES!

Katie decided rather than move there, she would start a Day Care here, so that is what we are doing now.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear about your cancer. I'm a spinal stroke surviver. Taxes are a bit pricey in NH where I live is the same way. I too would stay in Me. I like maine also I had a lot of family there at one time most have passed. I still have cousins there but haven't seen them for years.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We could never sell our place in Maine anyway. It is a farm so you can never get its real value since it is hard to calculate such things as forest, gravel and now gold/silver/palladium. I would just spend the rest of my life saying, "well we used to have..." No, it is better just to keep what we have and make the most of it.

So we visit New Hampshire, not as much as we like, but often. It is ironic because Katie's father; a prospector, lives there and wants to come her to Maine to dig in the dirt.

I did think of you though, Katie's cousin lives in Benton and is getting married so we will go right by that campground to get to her place. The invitation came in the mail yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread