PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Florida; missedour annual trip West last season due to hurricane damage/repair. Gold Fever, seriously infected. Destroyed most of my brain.

Every missed Goldtrip West is HUGE at our ages (early eighties, but thankfully goodhealth). Born and raised in the West, we badly need that Western airand light, aroma of trout streams, stand-up people, attitudes, dirt &dust, sagebrush, cockle burrs, smell of alfalfa, cheat grass and allthe rest. Outdoor adventure, in that environment is our goal. Coldshowers after a hot day. T-bones and beer at some no-name joint.

1. Limitations: Not many. Good 4WD F-150. Got all the basics, plus Gold Hog Piglethigh banker, Bazooka, etc. More money than time – and not beingcute, those of an age know what I mean. With all modesty, we don’tneed hand holding and have learned the basic skills (mostly learnedhere). We are hard working, good natured and humble. Love geology,every rock! Sampling madman; low and high per Clay Diggins recommendations.

2. GeneralCircumstances: We love the chase, preparation and the night-beforeanticipation – but, of course, the occasional color is a delight. Having been at this only a few seasons, we do not have the depth ofknowledge and research of those born into or immersed in the feverfor decades. Or have the huge advantage of just living in goldcountry with friends and friends of friends to learn from. We do not need hand holding but would welcome company for those interested.

3. Accordingly, wewould like to make a simple exchange of value: Cash for access andknowledge and insight. Cash for People with accessand knowledge have paid dearly in time and money. They need to berewarded fairly for sharing. And there is no intent to diminishthe generosity shown to me from this list in the past who scoffwhen the subject comes up.

4. Some have suggested that payment be a gratuity - or contribution and I like that. I kind of like the idea of pay to play because it is so fair and simple. Other suggestions and opinions would be apprediated. I am considering these:
A. New 49ers in Happy Camp, CA
B. The outfits in Jamestown, Ca were not very impressive
C. Roaring Camp in Pine Grove, CA

5. I would like to have some fun in New Mexico - try drywashing if possible, but I have no leads.

6. Same with Oregon.

7. Timing will be mid-May through October.

7. We will end up in Seattle. I at least know the area there and have some contacts.

All comments and criticism welcomed. Regards to all,

Thurman

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sign up for the New49ers newsletter on their web page and you can get a half price associate membership.
with the associate membership you get a week of access to claims, any week on your schedule/itinerary
and can go on the group mining projects June 22 & 23; July 20 & 21; August 17 & 18
» The New 49?ers 2019 Schedule of Events

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I'm retired, or just too tired to work for somebody, I'll be spending a lot of time at my claim. It's game on from Memorial weekend through October. I live within an hours drive to the claim, so camping on the weekends and some day trips during the week is my plan. I wouldn't mind having some company during some of the season. My mining partner is a stone mason in the Lake Tahoe area and can't always get away from his work.

When we work together on a dig, it's usually a 50-50 chop on the gold, but with 60 acres to play in, there's plenty of room to explore.

You can check my thread in the journals section to see what we get and where we work: Mining the Northern Sierras

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Thurman,
Just a little input for you, the Northern Sierras (NorCal) are full of Snow which will eventually turn to water. Even now a good number of NorCal water-ways are above normal and will stay that way till the snow melts. When will the snow melt be over, anyone's guess! I've known it to last till the middle of July making the rivers/creeks high and fast into mid/late August. However, IF the Sierras Heat Up Quickly then the snow would be gone sooner and if the heat hits early there will be a big rush of water going down all of those canyons.

You can check for water flow at the following site: USGS Real Time Water Flow Data

Enjoy your summer.............63bkpkr

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roaring Camp is your best bet.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I think any gold would not compare to what I could learn from you. I watched your great videos and applaud your rare approach to mining. You are an example for all of us. If I am in the area I will contact you. Glad you are retired. No one has earned it more. Best of luck.

Thurmn

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Winners58.

I am pleased that one of the heavy hitters on this forum would respond to my request; and I take your advice seriously. I take the Happy Camp newsletter and Dave is one of the true great prospectors while fighting the good fight for miners rights. I would encourage eveeryone to take a peek at his publications. do plan to take advantage of his reduced associate membership this summer. I know I will learn a great deal and see a breathtaking part of our country.

Of interest in that part of the mountains is the short "ideal conditions" in terms of water levels mentioned by
63bkpkr and will keep this in mind as the time nears.

best regards, Thurman

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have a good time. You ought to come here. Unfortunately the main vein is UNDER my house. Fortunately, the gold is mainly microscopic.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to mytimetoshine and mikep691 for ghe Roaring Camp recommendations. It is an interesting place, and I assume you are both referring to the ROARING CAMP MINING COMPANY, as there are lots of outfits operating out of Roaring Camp. If you are referencing some other outfit let me know.

Cost is no particular consideration. I like the idea of staying a week in a cabin and taking advantage of their activities...but prospecting is the real goal. Do I really want to sluice a $400.00 (forget the real price) pile of paydirt dropped on the doorstep?

I plan to call them for details and make a reservation should they have acerage availible for my own prospecting

Thanks agin for the recommendations, Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63bkpkr,

I take your words to the bank, having seen (and enjoyed immensely) the crazy stuff you do. The insight you provided via the USGS REPORTS is invaluable. This is a fantastic resource that I was unaware of - and will be key to my timing for visiting the Northern Sierras. Of course everyone wants to be there when things are just right. Knowing that will not keep me out of business though. Many of us have waited for the "perfect" time our whole lives.

Hey, when I get there it will be the perfect time.

Best regards, Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat,

Don't tempt me now. I love microscopic gold and have panned lots of it. If your house is in the way make sure your homeowners's is in force. My wife will work in the dark for a speck or two. And she loves kitties. Pleas p.m. a map to the vein.

Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot,

No, I am not really very interesting. But I am INTERESTED, in your words, to do the next right thing.

At this intersection with history, my liberty to pursue a dream has been underwitten by many smart a brave people who have given me the opportunity. Not to mention Western Civilization in general. I intend to take the full cup offered. And not mindlessly. I even feel a duty to relish the bounty we have inherited.

All the best my friend, Thurman

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the current Commiefornia regulations, Roaring Camp may not be able to allow you full access like they used to. Talk to the girls in the office. They are Daughters of the founder. My Family has had a presence there since the 80's, and I only use the pans they designed when on the claim, or prospecting a new location.

I wish you luck in any direction you choose

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that I feel the same way only its been a long time for me I hope you get there and have a wonderful time Tommy

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tommy,

So how can I get you out again?, times a wastin. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Regards, Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread