Rats!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my Gold Hog stream sluices. Guess what?

The body is 1/8" too long to fit the cargo boxes! :BangHead: I'll have to take a 1/8" off the tail on both of them to fit.

May try both Friday at Nugget Lake. I'll have the fast mat in one, and the slow mat in the other. That way I'm ready for anything and don't have to swap mats. The weather says I might have high/fast water. Will also take the Flow Pan Deluxe along and try it out. I'll have to get a Tsunami 1200 for the power head, and then I can test recirc mode. I'm looking to use the power head similar to a Multi Sluice for cleaning cons.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not like Rats!......63bkpkr

Best of luck with your outing!!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I trimmed one in about an hour of nibbling and filing. I could have ran them through the table saw with the nonferrous metals blade, but it would take removing the foot brackets, and trying to do 3 exact passes with a blade that likes to cup.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They fit now! ;D

IMG_3187.JPG

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck at nugget lake sounds like a dream to me...... Someday!!!!!!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome but my first thought about your thread was about rats, I have dug up a rat nest down on the Sultan river here in Wa. state. Ever have a mom rat jump at you to protect her nest, crazy.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest I've come to that is Bups finding a muskrat nest. She got a good bite on the nose. She tore that skrat a new one after that!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I been to nugget lake and that place is infested with rats. I think they ride along in the R.V. Campers coming up from Chicago. Shine a light on any garbage can in the campground at night and you will see rats running in and out donig their rat thing.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to see rats, just get a farm!

Nice job on cutting down your sluice. I am kind of jealous of how organized you are. :headbang:

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nugget Lake didn't go as planned. Got as far as Steven's Point and turned around. The rivers and streams are majorly flooded. And those areas aren't under any flood alerts, Durand is!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on cutting down your sluice. I am kind of jealous of how organized you are. :headbang:

The cargo boxes are for a trip up to Alaska. We have to fly everything we may need for a month in the boonies. We have 2 pallets of gear, and a long box for the gear we couldn't fit on the pallets. Since we have to camp on the food (we have no trees), we need a BIG electric fence to keep the bears at bay. Hauling all that is expensive, but it adds to the quality of the deposit that we need to find for the "prudent man" part of claiming. If it can pay for the trip and then some, it's worth claiming.

Box 1 Tents
Box 2 Kitchen
Box 3 Food
Box 4 Electrical
Box 5 Tools/sanitation
Box 6 Mining
Box 7 Bedding/diving
Box 8 Personal
Box 9 Fencing/tools/claim posts

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The cargo boxes are for a trip up to Alaska. We have to fly everything we may need for a month in the boonies. We have 2 pallets of gear, and a long box for the gear we couldn't fit on the pallets. Since we have to camp on the food (we have no trees), we need a BIG electric fence to keep the bears at bay. Hauling all that is expensive, but it adds to the quality of the deposit that we need to find for the "prudent man" part of claiming. If it can pay for the trip and then some, it's worth claiming.

Box 1 Tents
Box 2 Kitchen
Box 3 Food
Box 4 Electrical
Box 5 Tools/sanitation
Box 6 Mining
Box 7 Bedding/diving
Box 8 Personal
Box 9 Fencing/tools/claim posts

Okay, now I understand.

This must be a very exciting time for you then? I have never had the experience, but it must be neat to explore, prospect and all of what is found is to be used to make a determination on if it is worth claiming or not.

It is probably different, but it seems kind of like how some farmers get to go out and pick their farms, buying a property based on aspect, soil, topography, etc where as I never had that excitement. As a next generational farmer, I knew what I was getting at age 4, for all its good points, and all its bad points.

It was neat to find out this farm has gold, but while I was not sure what it had for minerals (other than gravel), there is really no exploring, as I have been here all my life.

Again, it sounds like you are about to set off for a really cool trip. Good for you!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Hope you still had a happy Easter Capt Nemo. All good here.

I hope to make it nugget lake this year. I've gotten flood gold there before. I want to see if it might have replenished in the same spot.

From what I saw there, the flood gold is super tiny. Mostly sub visible. Surprised that the Flow Pan could catch it. Though it might have been tailings from someone digging there, cause a dam was built. That trip picked up about 20 pieces of visible gold, and 90 pieces only a magnifier could see.

Learned something about it recently. Laura Engels Wilder grew up on Plum Creek. It might be the background for the episode of Little House where the kids found the creek full of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread