CDCGoldProspecting

Apr 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Everyone, just thought I would share an idea I came up with that I thought many of you would find pretty cool.
I made a floating sluice box that you can attach to your manual hand dredge so you don't have to deal with attaching to a bucket.
It works pretty good and seems to ketch almost all of the gold down to micro.

FloatingSluiceTestThumbnailintro.jpg

Here is a link to a video of me testing it out on the creek if you want to check it out.
https://youtu.be/GwXPD_FOhtk

There is a link in the description on how I made it too.

I love this thing, and always bring it with me now if I plan on hand dredging.

Upvote 0

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
A sluice normally needs a drop in elevation to work properly. The angle is important!

So how can this catch gold?

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Angle is only important when using the river water flow to process your material threw a sluice. He is not using the river flow to process the material, the suction plump he is using provides the necessary water flow to process the material, yes the design needs work but in those areas that you can't use motorized equipment, this is a possible solution.

OP
OP
C

CDCGoldProspecting

Apr 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sluice normally needs a drop in elevation to work properly. The angle is important!

So how can this catch gold?
Hey Bedrock Bubba, sorry it took a bit to reply, was traveling for the holiday just now got to turn on the computer. yea this is not really like a regular sluice box. This just has a bunch of gravity 'V' traps in the downspout adapters that capture the heavies. This is using more of an water on water off style flow instead of a sluice that has a constant flow of water. So when I was making it I was more concerned about gold blowing out because of the constant on-off water source from the hand dredge. That is why the back of it is elevated so nothing heavy can get pushed out due to gravity. But the 'V' traps catch a lot of gold and anything heavy. I was pretty impressed with how well it does catch gold, even small flour type gold.

OP
OP
C

CDCGoldProspecting

Apr 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Angle is only important when using the river water flow to process your material threw a sluice. He is not using the river flow to process the material, the suction plump he is using provides the necessary water flow to process the material, yes the design needs work but in those areas that you can't use motorized equipment, this is a possible solution.

Yea good explanation. Yea I am sure this design could have some improvements, but this is just a first prototype. I haven't seen anyone make something like this before so I was doing some tests with it. It works well. Just thought I would share it with everyone. Like you said you can use this in places where you can't use motorized equipment, and that is where it comes in handy. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread