Claim corners

AuNoob

Greenie
Apr 20, 2019
Toronto
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good morning,

I did a search before posting and was unable to find an answer so hoping for guidance here. I recently purchased a Rye Patch claim, however the owner was only able to provide me 2 of the actual corners, and when I got there none of the corners were marked. I found this strange but none of the claims seemed to be marked in that area. Which leads me to the following questions:

1) Is it common in that area to not mark corners?
2) Is there anyway (site, app, etc) to verify outside of contacting the BLM? I've tried the LR2000 and the MRDS mapping tool, but they only verified my ownership without out providing that level of detail.

Thank you in advance.

AuNoob

Upvote 0

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pull original paperwork at county it will have a map and description of the claim. You can check on LandMatters and probably get the information you want. It’s the best site available. Some states don’t require corner markers plus they get stolen and vandalized a lot.

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen cows use plastic pipe post like it was a snubbing post and will rub against them until they break off. So that is another possibility if plastic was used.
If it was staked by legal subdivision, corner posts are not required in Nevada. Read part 2.

And yes LandMatters is the place to go when staking a claim, it has dried up a lot of tears for miners.

NRS 517.090  Requirements for location.

1.  The location of a placer claim shall be made in the following manner:

(a) By posting thereon, upon a monument meeting the requirements of NRS 517.030, erected at any point along the north boundary, a notice of location containing:

(1) The name of the claim;

(2) The name of the locator or locators, together with the post office address of such locator or locators;

(3) The date of location; and

(4) The number of feet or acres claimed; and

(b) By marking the boundaries and the location point in the same manner and by the same means as required by the laws of this state for marking the boundaries of lode claim locations.

2.  Where the United States survey has been extended over the land embraced in the location, the claim may be taken by legal subdivisions, and, except the marking of the location point as prescribed in subsection 1, no other markings than those of such survey shall be required.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can use a mapping tool like mylandmatters turn on PLSS and second division.
find your TRS from your location description like in this 20 acre example outlined in orange would be;
east 1/2 of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 sec.20 T32N R32E (might be written differently or have to read it from right to left)
then you can get the latitude & longitude by holding the mouse on the corners, use those with a GPS
I usually get extra ones like for where a road crosses an edge and such
You can also look for survey markers on the ground that's how it was done before GPS,
survey markers, a compass and a long tape measure.
location_map.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AuNoob

Greenie
Apr 20, 2019
Toronto
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you everyone. I have used mylandmatters.com to try and zero in and have gotten pretty close. I will reach out to the county for the specifics. Makes sense on the markers being missing and I got the general sense it wasn't a "thing" for that area.

Much appreciation to all.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who ever sold it to you should have provided what was filed with the county.
a copy of the original location and a filing of the quitclaim deed.
in this brochure it shows the layout of a claim, Mining Claims and Sites on Federal Lands
map reading and learning township, range, section, legal subdivision, is essential for every miner/property owner.
Aliquot_parts.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread