Thursday's hike....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Started out at the old Great Western Mine. I parked at the base of the old smelter. Here's an old pic of when it was operating....probably in the 20's.
mill & tram at Camp Ck.jpg
And here's a recent Google Earth image:
Camp Ck3.jpg
So, I parked at the old foundations, and headed up the canyon. At one point, I noticed a color change in the rock, and soon saw the tailings from a prospect hole. PH2.
Camp Ck1.jpg
The extrusion ran from PH1 to PH4, where the odd circular cistern is located. The only reason I found it was I was looking for the spot where the extrusion met the canyon bottom, or close to it.
Camp Ck 4.jpg
I had first hiked up to examine the hole the tailings came out of, and take a few pics.
P4190004.JPG
The mineralized extrusion actually starts at the tip of the pine tree against the outcrop. It popped out at two locations in the form of iron oxides. The last outcrop was some quartzite. Next pic is the climb to the prospect hole.
P4190006.JPG P4190007.JPG P4190008.JPG
Next pic is a better shot of extrusioon where it first shows...right at the base of an outcrop of the country rock.
P4190009.JPG P4190015.JPG
Wore Heidi out, too. you can see the darker, crumbly rock. thousands of years ago, there was probably steam rising out of this spot. No copper hued rock, however.
The next pics is the round structure I found at PH4 on the GE image. I was hoping to find an outcrop others had missed, where the extrusion met the canyon bottom. But the old guys were thorough, and didn't miss much. The quartzite used for the walls is an anomaly at that location. Part of the extrusion I assume. They must have dug down to check for metals, and built the walls so the hillside wouldn't cave down on them. There is an old piece of RR track they used as a door header over a small opening at the bottom, on the low side. Probably pushed material out through it as they dug, rather than hoist it up. It amazes me that you can actually see the "cistern" on the Google Earth image taken from 22,000 miles.
P4190026.JPG P4190022.JPG P4190021.JPG P4190012.JPG P4190028.JPG
Before we headed back down, Heidi took a minute to cool off. Also a shot across the valley looking down the canyon.
P4190020.JPG P4190010.JPG
A great day, but wore my 70 year-old butt out....LOL
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think it would be worth it if you ran the detector around where those cabins where below the smelter?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that qualifies as climbing, not hiking. At least a scramble. Rugged stuff, and interesting. Nice there is still some snow left for cooling off! I hope you can locate some decent ore.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You think it would be worth it if you ran the detector around where those cabins where below the smelter?
LOL....did that several years ago. Actually detected all the way up the old tram route. Found lots of nails, and a couple of powder barrels. Never did find any coins, which really surprised me.
Jim

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that qualifies as climbing, not hiking. At least a scramble. Rugged stuff, and interesting. Nice there is still some snow left for cooling off! I hope you can locate some decent ore.

Heck, Kray, I never find any decent ore rock. Just not my destiny. But I do enjoy the trip...LOL I sure like looking over the next ridge, and always will.
Jim

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trip with a good friend and the 'look see' is always worth the effort, thank you for sharing!.........63bkpkr

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! What an adventure! That is the type of detecting I am looking forward to doing more of--some travel, some research, and hiking outdoors. A great change of pace from the beach or park settings we usually settle for. I am glad that you have your four-legged friend along as well. Lastly, I admire the detailed record keeping you are doing--really makes a difference when you have a well-prepared plan. I am glad to read about someone "following their passion." Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys, I never go into the outdoors without my dog. She is not only my companion, but also my early-warning device for large predators. The country I run, here in Idaho, is extremely rough, and wild. Bears, In some cases including grizzlies, wolves, lions, rattlesnakes, etc. Here's what I believe is a wolf track I walked over on my way up. My boots are size 13. Not a huge track, but Heidi's are 50% bigger than a coyote, and this track is 3x Heidi's.
P4190002.JPG
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions