Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Setting a sluice in a small stream and leaving it.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11601 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by watersteps View Post
    I have attached some pictures of my home made sluice.
    I started with a piece of heavy aluminum contractors flashing 24” X 36”. I bent 2, 6” - 90 degree sides on the 24” width, this gives me a 12” shoot with 6” high sides.
    I next cut an old aluminum door threshold and cut in half long wise to use for the riffle frame. I purchased a piece 1/2” aluminum angle 6’ long, I cut this piece into 6, 11 1/2” pieces and notched each end to fit under the threshold pieces. I spaced these pieces 7” apart except for the last piece a spaced at 4” and pop riveted them together.
    Next I took some old galvanized angles that came from a very cheap storage shelving and bent them over the 6” sides to make them stronger.
    I purchased a 12” x 36” piece of miners moss and laid that in the sluice and placed the riffle frame on top of it. I drilled 4 holes so I could bolt the riffle frame to the sluice and hold down the moss.
    Now this ain’t real pretty but in only cost me $21.00 to build.
    I am sure that if I snag any gold it will be very fine so I didn’t add any expanded metal on top of the moss. That may be a mistake, but that remains to be seen.
    It turned out to be stronger then I thought it would and should hold up well.
    Next I will take it down to the stream on my property and anchor it down for a week or two and see what happens.
    I will takes some pictures of the sluice in the stream.
    The last photo shows the sluice after it painted camo.

Dude, promise we want you to have fun and find gold..

I will make fun of culvert hunting and leaving sluices because of the subject not the author.

cause it's been around for years and no one can wash the stink off.

Whats cool is that you kinda have a useable sluice now and can take it out the actual way you find gold...prospecting.

One issue and unfortunately because of the way gold moves. It's important.

You need to fix your riffles.

Any fine gold that makes the moss in the middle will get caught(you need vmat under it though)

But I noticed the way you cut your angle short of where you cut one side to attach. No biggie again cause of the moss.

But that side channel material with no sort of sto..gold WILL ride on out.

When you introduce material to the head of a sluice. when you see gold or lead you will see it push to the sides.

Not all of it but it builds up there. If that happens in your sluice making it into that smooth channel..

SHE GONE!!

Looks like you can build stuff so no doubt you can fab a fix.

If you want to keep it. Please don't leave it in the creek bed somewhere. it has better actual uses.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    Fisher CZ-7, Mine Lab, Bounty Hunter, Garrett AT Pro
    28 times
    What is vmat?? And I should put it under the moss?

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2853 times
    Prospecting
    Here you go for v mat. https://www.google.com/search?q=v+ma...hrome&ie=UTF-8.
    Moss is usually reversible , in other words either side up so it is porous throughout leading to gold just sinking through and washing out the bottom of the sluice. The v mat kind of acts as a bottom for the moss and it also will catch gold that sinks through the moss in it's grooves before it washes out.
    Last edited by arizau; May 13, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    Thank You I will look around for some.
    Goldwasher likes this.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3710 times
    I've seen lots of areas that get washed off bedrock that if there was someplace for the gold to catch it would.
    why is the bedrock slick, it's scour, any sluice would get a pounding after a week of rocks hitting it.
    some ribbed rubber mat or carpet under the moss keeps the gold from migration under it.
    maybe set it up in a side area that you could feed buckets for weeks or push dirt to like a ground sluice
    Might try expanded metal over the Miners moss, gives it some motion to exchange the lighter stuff off.
    Last edited by winners58; May 13, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11601 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thank You I will look around for some.
    sometimes you can find it at the hardware store or even wally world as

"tool box liner"

Sometimes at Home Depot or Lowes you can find vintly bulk runner material. or thin carpet on the roll that you can use.

Heres some on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Profil...gateway&sr=8-1

Or you can use something like this. just ditch your riffles and put this in the bottom of your box. attach with a flat bar and wing nut at the top.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-GP-SB35-MA...2?keywords=v+m

Like Winners mentioned if you do go with moss some expanded metal is in order.

In fact because of where you are you could get away with just raised expanded over moss. Since the gold will all be considered "fine".

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    The sluice was updated and placed in a stream May 15 2019, water was about 10 inches deep and flowing very fast. Now to wait for a few weeks or months.
    1637 likes this.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    713 times
    Prospecting
    How did you mount it down? The only way I can see somthing like that working is if you bolted it directly to bedrock in a location you know gold will travel across that stays exposed doesn't get buried in cobble, the sluice would have to handle getting freight trained by cobbles so it would have to be rather stout in construction. I think it may take longer than a few weeks or months I'm guessing years. in all likelyhood it will fill with heavy sand fairly quick and any gold that enters will slick right off...
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.

us

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    713 times
    Prospecting
    There are easier methods I heard about that involve coating things in various kinds of grease and leaving them in river flows to capture those micro fine particles, burlap coated in fish oil wrapped around pilings is supposed to be quite effective, I have also heard good things about coating visquine in crisco and letting it lay in the current like a dredge damper. I bet I'd really up my level of fines if I grease the damper on my dredge.
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    The sluice is staked down with a 24 inch rebar stake, it was hard to find a place to hammer the stake in, rock under the stream. I will check the sluice every week and clean it out and bring the finds home for separating.
    DizzyDigger, 1637 and RTR like this.

us

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    713 times
    Prospecting
    Have you sampled the ground yet?

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11601 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The sluice is staked down with a 24 inch rebar stake, it was hard to find a place to hammer the stake in, rock under the stream. I will check the sluice every week and clean it out and bring the finds home for separating.
    Gold only moves in extreme storm events. Even moderate rainstorms aren't moving gold in the bed load.

Concentration in cracks takes a long time. a really long timein areas with very little gold.

in your county it could take a lot of effort to find gold via real prospecting methods.

If the kind of gold that could maybe end up in a sluice that was left alone was in your area. There would be major historical mining activity.

If I was stuck in Pa. looking for gold I would be chasing something that may actually turn up. Buried treasure legends.... forgotten colonial caches... civil war loot.

Most likely something that actually exists.

us
    Oct 2009
    7279 times
    Watersteps, I know you are getting a lot of negative posts here from myself and others. I hope that you take this in the spirit its given. It's not that we want you to fail, or we just want to jump on you. Its given as experienced advice, and we would rather see you recover gold than waste time with bad methods.

However, you are a trooper and you have forged ahead to see for yourself. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! We've all probably done it with projects in our past. I would ask that you post your results, for good, mediocre, or bad. Your thread is now in the eternity of the internet. Other people in the future will have your same thought, research it, and find this thread. So for the sake of our future prospectors, let us all know how it goes!

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4688 times
    Prospecting
    post some pics of the op

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links