Why are California gold claims so expensive?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this normal? Thousands of $$$ for claims, many of which are areas that seemed to have been already worked exhaustively in the past.

Untitled.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining claims in California cost $212 in fees to the BLM and the price of a County recording - about $90 in California. That's a little more than $300 a claim in California.

In Arizona same BLM fees and about $15 for the County Recording. That's a little less than $230 a claim in Arizona.

So yeah California claims are more expensive by about $75.

As far as those claims monger ads you show. I guess they just rely on the fact that people are too lazy to make their own claims?

Heavy Pans

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was doing my due diligence, I found a host of claimed land in the area I was interested in claimed up by one Tucker White. Turns out he was flipping them on Ebay for thousands of dollars under the seller name EMMC or some such. Lots of claims, over 20 acres with multiple claimants, all with the same signature style, so IMO, clearly forged signatures.

The kicker was when I went to a very remote spot near yosemite to fish way east of any gold occurences. For shits and grins I decided to look the spot up on land matters, and this guy had a claim staked there.

So I searched the claim on Ebay and sure enough it was for sale for thousands with a very descriptive ad all about the richness of the numerous visible quartz veins.....

I consider almost any claim for sale as suspect. Unless the seller has held the claim for a number of years, I wouldnt even bother.

Personally, I'll research and stake my own claims.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Talk about expensive, a lot of claims around me are claimed by the same ppl and were talking 3 claims that total 1,920 acres do the math :icon_scratch:

emptyhole

Feb 28, 2014
n. calif.
Detector(s) used
all the prospecting toys
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mofugly13 the same guy filed a bunch of claims in my neck of the woods also,in fact one piece of property that I was interested in.the kicker was according to the paper work the discovery markers were set during the winter when the area was totally unaccessible .

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like buying a bag of "Paydirt" on Ebay. A waste of money and time.:skullflag:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
join a club, and you will have alot of claims.
good luck brad

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mofugly13 the same guy filed a bunch of claims in my neck of the woods also,in fact one piece of property that I was interested in.the kicker was according to the paper work the discovery markers were set during the winter when the area was totally unaccessible .
Yeah this was 2015-16. I googled they guy and it looked like he was trying to fund a large mining operation in Red Dog. Looked like he was having bureaucratic issues.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say there are a few claims that are worth buying but you won't find those posted anywhere, probably won't ever even hear about those.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well that's your socalled "representatives " at work watching your back !

So you want more regulation and government oversight!??

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mining claims in California cost $212 in fees to the BLM and the price of a County recording - about $90 in California. That's a little more than $300 a claim in California.

In Arizona same BLM fees and about $15 for the County Recording. That's a little less than $230 a claim in Arizona.

So yeah California claims are more expensive by about $75.

As far as those claims monger ads you show. I guess they just rely on the fact that people are too lazy to make their own claims?

Heavy Pans
Amen

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
ask them if they supply and pay for the dynamite too ? tell them you want to get down good and deep. well is that too much to ask ?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NO Kevin , NOT AT ALL !! There is to much regulation now that they don't enforce and / or use effectively! And the greeniewacoenviromentalists want more !!

Somehow I didn’t think so ;)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because people are dumb enough to pay for them

oberon702

Greenie
Mar 11, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure why California fee's are so expensive, but I agree with the person who posted "What isn't expensive in California". I've heard that Nevada and Arizona are much more mining friendly than California.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread