NEW MEXICO GOLD IS MISSING

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading WEST at the end of the week. I have found gold in most of the Western states except for New Mexico - which will be my first planned stop on the way to Arizona.

I have read about outfits in the higher elevations who have gold trips at 8,000 FEET!!! Being an elderly floridian, I have trouble staying vertical at sea level. So what about the middle of the state ? Any vendors/concessions/individuals, etc. that offer prospecting trips? Nothing much comes up on Google.

A few visible crumbs in the bottom of a vial would make this old Cracker mighty happy! Thanks for any insight or ideas.

Best regards to all. Thurman

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably the lowest elevation in NM where gold is found is just to the southwest of Alamogordo. Pull up the claims map on Welcome to Land Matters and explore around there if you can do it legally. The Silver City area is around 5,000' but also is known for gold. Most of the rest of the state where gold is found is at or above 5,000'.

Good luck.

PS It only takes a day or two to acclimate if you don't have medical problems so a guided trip may be possible for you. Probably in one of the prettiest parts of the state anyway if it is in the Red River area or surrounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ARIZU,

My map shows that the Alamagordo elevation is at about 4,300 ft. We prospect in Prescott Valley, AZ without too much difficulty and it is at 5,300 ft. So that could work out. Forgot how high most of the land out there is. No wonder gold makes me dizzy!

Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Winners58,

Good information. I will give it a try. Believe me "fine" gold is no problem. I have found maybe two pickers in my career. The rest is that beauiful fine stuff - which when accumulated rearely makes the scale move. What does it matter? It looks so fulfilling in the pan surrounded by black sand.

Still, you would think that the current interest in prospecting would support more entrapenuers help us amateuers get exposed to gold prospecting.

What a wonderful pastime filled with history and geology. What could be better than being immersed in this activity?

Thurman

mamich

Mar 6, 2016
Las Cruces, NM
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman,
I live in southern NM, send a PM with your travel plans and if it fits my schedule maybe we can get together and hit my claim.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good adventure goodluck and have fun. Tommy

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy mamich,

Sounds fantastic. I will send pm with my schedule. It is very flexible and can fit your convenience. About a 4 day drive from central FL - so the end of next week is approx timing on my end. Greatly appreciate your response as I have never been to that part of the country - looks rough and raw, oh my!

Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread