Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Sluices, long and narrow vs short and wide

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    153 times
    Prospecting

Sluices, long and narrow vs short and wide

I work construction, and m always eyeballing materials that I think would be good for prospecting. The guys who put the metal cladding on the exterior of buildings usually have the most stuff that piques my interest. A lot of metal, usually aluminum, troughs for capping parapet walls or wrapping columns. Perfect sluice channels. The majority are 8”-12” wide and 8’-10’ long. This has got me to thinking...

What are the pros and cons of a short, wide sluice vs. a long narrow sluice, all else being equal....water flow, optimum angle for the material being run, etc....?

Off the top of my head, I would imagine a wider sluice can simply handle a higher feed rate, and the longer the sluice is, the better the recovery rate. Am I right here? What else?

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11617 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
    I work construction, and m always eyeballing materials that I think would be good for prospecting. The guys who put the metal cladding on the exterior of buildings usually have the most stuff that piques my interest. A lot of metal, usually aluminum, troughs for capping parapet walls or wrapping columns. Perfect sluice channels. The majority are 8”-12” wide and 8’-10’ long. This has got me to thinking...

What are the pros and cons of a short, wide sluice vs. a long narrow sluice, all else being equal....water flow, optimum angle for the material being run, etc....?

Off the top of my head, I would imagine a wider sluice can simply handle a higher feed rate, and the longer the sluice is, the better the recovery rate. Am I right here?

What else?
    Anything over 7.5 - 8" is good for long sluices and perfect for light sampling sluices, and will work just finefo running a good amount of material.

10" and over ( average stream sluice size) also works length does help with fine recovery.

When I have good running water I daisy chain two 10" sluices together so I can run as much material as possible.

us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    153 times
    Prospecting
    I imagine long AND wide is most ideal, and that it all comes down to logistics and portability.
    Duckshot and Goldwasher like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4688 times
    Prospecting
    I know a guy that built a bazooka gold trap knockoff, the prospector model out of metal clad. I don’t remember if it was 30” or 36” but he was a craftsman and it was a ting of beauty. We floated the Bear River on inner tubes using two tubes each, one to float on the second to haul the prospecting gear. He brought the metal clad and it caught gold well. You might look into doing something like that.
    Last edited by goldenmojo; May 15, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    945 times
    Prospecting
    I would think the capture media would be more important in any size sluice.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4393 times
    My thoughts would be of classification and run the cons separately to take advantage of the specific gravity of the precious metals ! Then the short lengths would work fine And Underburden has a very good point of the capture material!
    Hoser John likes this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    587 times
    available water will define the width
    longer is always better
    Goldwasher likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4564 times
    I ve found it easier to clean a sluice if I can fit the end into a five gallon bucket.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6643 times
    Spread the flow out, slow it down and that gold drops out very easy. No foaming, frothing fast moving mess will do that. I prefer pre-classification as the best means of recovery and the removal of any/all clay clumps/balls. John
    davin likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    791 times
    Prospecting
    In my state and maybe others, the law determines the size of sluice I can use, read the laws of your state to determine what you can use and then modify it for the best at separating gold from the aggregate, I only have 3 sqr, ft. lawfully and that is enough.
    Duckshot and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11617 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    In my state and maybe others, the law determines the size of sluice I can use, read the laws of your state to determine what you can use and then modify it for the best at separating gold from the aggregate, I only have 3 sqr, ft. lawfully and that is enough.
    luckily Ca. doesn't have any size requirements or regulations
    goldenmojo likes this.

us
    Prospector

Apr 2014
    Modesto, CA
    825 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    luckily Ca. doesn't have any size requirements or regulations
    You Don't hear that very often!

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    4564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    So if you got a four footer it can be only 9" wide?

Sounds

Does that include the flare and skid plate?

In my state one can only move two yards of creek bottom in any one creek per a year. if you move a yard what difference does it make what size sluice you are using?
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11617 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolOfHardRocks View Post
    You Don't hear that very often!

Yea , I probably shouldn't bring it up.
    N-Lionberger likes this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1347 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post

In my state one can only move two yards of creek bottom in any one creek per a year. if you move a yard what difference does it make what size sluice you are using?
    Hit the Tomorrow river, then move downstream and hit the Waupaca river. Same stream and you can bag 4 yards. Didn't think about that too well did they! Not much there though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links