Sluices, long and narrow vs short and wide

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work construction, and m always eyeballing materials that I think would be good for prospecting. The guys who put the metal cladding on the exterior of buildings usually have the most stuff that piques my interest. A lot of metal, usually aluminum, troughs for capping parapet walls or wrapping columns. Perfect sluice channels. The majority are 8”-12” wide and 8’-10’ long. This has got me to thinking...

What are the pros and cons of a short, wide sluice vs. a long narrow sluice, all else being equal....water flow, optimum angle for the material being run, etc....?

Off the top of my head, I would imagine a wider sluice can simply handle a higher feed rate, and the longer the sluice is, the better the recovery rate. Am I right here? What else?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work construction, and m always eyeballing materials that I think would be good for prospecting. The guys who put the metal cladding on the exterior of buildings usually have the most stuff that piques my interest. A lot of metal, usually aluminum, troughs for capping parapet walls or wrapping columns. Perfect sluice channels. The majority are 8”-12” wide and 8’-10’ long. This has got me to thinking...

What are the pros and cons of a short, wide sluice vs. a long narrow sluice, all else being equal....water flow, optimum angle for the material being run, etc....?

Off the top of my head, I would imagine a wider sluice can simply handle a higher feed rate, and the longer the sluice is, the better the recovery rate. Am I right here?

What else?

Anything over 7.5 - 8" is good for long sluices and perfect for light sampling sluices, and will work just finefo running a good amount of material.

10" and over ( average stream sluice size) also works length does help with fine recovery.

When I have good running water I daisy chain two 10" sluices together so I can run as much material as possible.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a guy that built a bazooka gold trap knockoff, the prospector model out of metal clad. I don’t remember if it was 30” or 36” but he was a craftsman and it was a ting of beauty. We floated the Bear River on inner tubes using two tubes each, one to float on the second to haul the prospecting gear. He brought the metal clad and it caught gold well. You might look into doing something like that.

Last edited:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would think the capture media would be more important in any size sluice.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
My thoughts would be of classification and run the cons separately to take advantage of the specific gravity of the precious metals ! Then the short lengths would work fine And Underburden has a very good point of the capture material!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spread the flow out, slow it down and that gold drops out very easy. No foaming, frothing fast moving mess will do that. I prefer pre-classification as the best means of recovery and the removal of any/all clay clumps/balls. John

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my state and maybe others, the law determines the size of sluice I can use, read the laws of your state to determine what you can use and then modify it for the best at separating gold from the aggregate, I only have 3 sqr, ft. lawfully and that is enough.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my state and maybe others, the law determines the size of sluice I can use, read the laws of your state to determine what you can use and then modify it for the best at separating gold from the aggregate, I only have 3 sqr, ft. lawfully and that is enough.

luckily Ca. doesn't have any size requirements or regulations

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So if you got a four footer it can be only 9" wide?

Sounds :tard:

Does that include the flare and skid plate?

In my state one can only move two yards of creek bottom in any one creek per a year. if you move a yard what difference does it make what size sluice you are using?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my state one can only move two yards of creek bottom in any one creek per a year. if you move a yard what difference does it make what size sluice you are using?

Hit the Tomorrow river, then move downstream and hit the Waupaca river. Same stream and you can bag 4 yards. Didn't think about that too well did they! Not much there though.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I beach mine I tend toward long and fairly wide.....
16 inches wide by 8 feet long...........

IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1418.JPG

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Spread the flow out, slow it down and that gold drops out very easy. No foaming, frothing fast moving mess will do that. I prefer pre-classification as the best means of recovery and the removal of any/all clay clumps/balls. John

And you don't need to put riffles in the box! Just use that ribbed matting you can glue into the box with G.E. clear silicon cement. The value is in the fines!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And you don't need to put riffles in the box! Just use that ribbed matting you can glue into the box with G.E. clear silicon cement. The value is in the fines!
unfortunately ribbed mating is considered to be riffles in my state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread