Is anyone still looking for gold in Western New York? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Is anyone still looking for gold in Western New York?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    5187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Buy yourself a gold snuffer bottle. Then learn to backwash and tap the gold up the pan.
    Many times I will backwash then tap the gold up, let the gravel drain, then pan out some of the light material at the bottom, then start over.

Hard to explain..easy to show.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Buy yourself a gold snuffer bottle. Then learn to backwash and tap the gold up the pan.
    Many times I will backwash then tap the gold up, let the gravel drain, then pan out some of the light material at the bottom, then start over.

Hard to explain..easy to show.
    I think I know what your saying. Lol I definitely need to learn panning better.
    For shits and giggles I bought a bag of play sand from Lowe's. I here it could have some trace amounts of gold in it. If it does or not I'll have lots of practice.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3349 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher78 View Post
    Attachment 1714408 Attachment 1714407

He is a couple pictures from what I found. It shows only a few flakes of micro gold. I need a better way to clean it up. Lol
    You can get rid of the bubble in your vial if you submerge and cap it under water....makes for a better display.

Good luck.
    Butcher78 likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    So I decided to run this Lowe's Play sand through my Sluice box just to see if I could find anything. And to my surprise I was actually seeing the micro gold in the dirt as I was scooping it into the Sluice. When I was done and did my clean out I classified the concentrate with a kitchen strainer and actually found a small clump of concrete. After that I was dumping out the excess water in the pan and seen gold so fine it was catching a ride with the silt trying to escape my pan. I knew I had to be careful not to loose any and to my surprise the top of the concentrates was littered with micro gold specks and flakes. However I now have about an inch and a half to two inches of this really really fine black sand, magnetite, blond sand and various minerals that is so dense that when I try to stratify the sands the gold will NOT sink to the bottom of the pan. In fact it seems to do the exact opposite and rises to the top of the pan.
    I am at a loss here until I find a better solution. Right now I’m working with a 14in pan with big riffles on one side and small ones on the other. So I bought myself a black 10in Gold Rush Gravity Trap gold pan on Amazon.
    I’m going to save both the tailings and the concentrates for when I get my new pan. And try panning it a couple tea spoons at a time till I collect all the gold.
    If that doesn’t work I will have to build myself a fluid bed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158EB22C-75E0-4BC4-A70D-6AB2A2D97539.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	1714769

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3349 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher78 View Post
    So I decided to run this Lowe's Play sand through my Sluice box just to see if I could find anything. And to my surprise I was actually seeing the micro gold in the dirt as I was scooping it into the Sluice. When I was done and did my clean out I classified the concentrate with a kitchen strainer and actually found a small clump of concrete. After that I was dumping out the excess water in the pan and seen gold so fine it was catching a ride with the silt trying to escape my pan. I knew I had to be careful not to loose any and to my surprise the top of the concentrates was littered with micro gold specks and flakes. However I now have about an inch and a half to two inches of this really really fine black sand, magnetite, blond sand and various minerals that is so dense that when I try to stratify the sands the gold will NOT sink to the bottom of the pan. In fact it seems to do the exact opposite and rises to the top of the pan.
    I am at a loss here until I find a better solution. Right now I’m working with a 14in pan with big riffles on one side and small ones on the other. So I bought myself a black 10in Gold Rush Gravity Trap gold pan on Amazon.
    I’m going to save both the tailings and the concentrates for when I get my new pan. And try panning it a couple tea spoons at a time till I collect all the gold.
    If that doesn’t work I will have to build myself a fluid bed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158EB22C-75E0-4BC4-A70D-6AB2A2D97539.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	1714769
    Tiny flat gold can ride on the surface of the water due to surface tension. A few drops of a surfactant such as dishwasher Jet Dri or even dawn or some other dish soap will break or decrease the surface tension of your panning water causing the gold to sink and settle. Warm water helps too. You are on the right track by panning in small quantities when trying to recover the last little speck of micro gold.

Have you done the proven, pretty much fail safe, visual test on what you see as gold? Gold does not lose it's color when viewed in shaded light. If the gold color disappears in the shaded light then it is most likely not gold but may be mica or some other reflective mineral. Your statement that the "gold" rises to the top is the reason I ask this since that is the way mica particles act in a pan.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; May 21, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Tiny flat gold can ride on the surface of the water due to surface tension. A few drops of a surfactant such as dishwasher Jet Dri or even dawn or some other dish soap will break or decrease the surface tension of your panning water causing the gold to sink and settle. Warm water helps too. You are on the right track by panning in small quantities when trying to recover the last little speck of micro gold.

Have you done the proven, pretty much fail safe, visual test on what you see as gold? Gold does not lose it's color when viewed in shaded light. If the gold color disappears in the shaded light then it is most likely not gold but may be mica or some other reflective mineral. Your statement that the "gold" rises to the top is the reason I ask this since that is the way mica particles act in a pan.

Good luck.
    Now I feel like a fool with the fools gold or Mika. I looked up a video showing the difference. I was sitting out in the sun when I did all this today. I’m still not comfortable panning down that much material at on time in such a big pan. So I will wait for my new pan and try again ignoring the stuff that is on top. It moves around way to much. Thank you.
    arizau likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Oh I forgot to mention this. I am using Jet Dry in my water. I’m not exactly sure on the measurements per gallons but I try to use about 1/2 tsp pre gallon.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    3349 times
    Prospecting
    You are not the first one.......I doubt there are many or any beginning gold panners who have not been fooled by mica or whatever mineral that shines gold in full light especially if they have not first been shown gold in a pan by a more experienced panner. I was fortunate to be shown how to pan and identify gold but I still always do the light test on micro gold when I am not already absolutely sure of what I am seeing and that will come to you too in time.

Excess Jet Dri, etc. tends to foam when agitated so you will know if you have used too much.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; May 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Butcher78 likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    I might either buy a bag of paydirt for real gold or just buy a small quantity of gold so I can see for myself what gold does and how it acts in the pan.
    Clay Diggins, brianc053 and arizau like this.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    I’ve got a few new things in the mail to help me on my adventures lol. As you have read I have a new smaller gold pan coming. I also went ahead and got myself a Jewelers Loop, a digital scale and a 2lb bag of paydirt from a claim on the Yukon river. I am fairly positive I will not recover the $$ spent but I should still find actual gold in my pan so I can tell the difference between what is fake and real. Seeing it on TV or through a video on YouTube is one thing,I want to see it in person.
    No gold in NY likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    33 times
    Prospecting
    I also found out that when running my 30in Sluice box, I was running the recommended 1in per foot angle. That’s 2 1/2 in roughly for 30” and with the 1200 gph pump that came with the sluice box, it doesn’t have enough flow rate to clear the pay off of the first mat. I had to increase the angle to near 3 inches to get the pay to clear off the mat.

Mar 2016
    5187 times
    Order some pay dirt so you have a handle on what Gold looks like and how it acts in the pan. Either that or buy some gold and add it to whatever you got.
    Either way, your not going to learn how to pan with just a couple specks of gold or possibly mica.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; May 22, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Butcher78 likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	1714969
    Buy,or build a Miller table,It catches All the gold,all day long
    Butcher78 likes this.

Mar 2016
    5187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	1714969
    Buy,or build a Miller table,It catches All the gold,all day long
    How many buckets of screened material did you spoon onto the miller table for that gold, or was it crevice material?
    Miller table is made for concentrates..cannot imagine running bank material over it.
    arizau likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    5923 times
    Dont want to burst your bubble but all we have here in western ny is glacial gold. That being said though 3cylbill told me of a story of someone around here finding a nugget in their chickens gullet or gizzard or whatever you call that rock pouch that grinds their food.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links