Is anyone still looking for gold in Western New York? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Is anyone still looking for gold in Western New York?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    1,593
    2706 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Dont want to burst your bubble but all we have here in western ny is glacial gold. That being said though 3cylbill told me of a story of someone around here finding a nugget in their chickens gullet or gizzard or whatever you call that rock pouch that grinds their food.
    That's funny. Of all the chicken and turkey gizzards I have eaten in my 76 years, I never encountered a stone, pebble or sand.

  2. #32
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    For those that say their is no gold in NYS. Here is a video for you. Lol

    It may not be a lot of gold but is worth looking for. Just my opinion.

  3. #33
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    If anyone is still interested in my thread that is interested in prospecting in Western NY. I am planing to make a day and take the family to a nice little spot I only found out about today. I might just have to take my pans with me. It’s called Valentine Flats Creek in Gowanda, NY. It’s a beautiful spot on the Cattaraugus Creek. Nice big bends in the creek, a waterfall, lots of exposed bedrock deep in a gorge. Just stunning.
    If you have been their before let me know. I can’t wait to take my kids and see their faces.
    gold tramp and 3cylbill like this.

  4. #34
    us
    Gold Tramp

    Dec 2012
    1,114
    2094 times
    The az guys laugh at me also. I to only find small bit of gold sure have much fun doin it youguys go for it.

    Dont always have to be about gettin rich.
    Gt..
    Butcher78 likes this.

  5. #35

    Mar 2016
    3,398
    5187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Let's not get into a pissing match showing off who can find more gold.
    Truthfully there are people here that could blow some socks off if they started posting up pictures of their actual recoveries. Not purchased gold, but actual finds.

    I can tell you none of my trips are a waste of time. Even when I come home empty handed.

    A day on the water with the kids is priceless.
    They can spend hours chasing crawfish and frogs while dad chases his crazy gold.

  6. #36
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Let's not get into a pissing match showing off who can find more gold.
    Truthfully there are people here that could blow some socks off if they started posting up pictures of their actual recoveries. Not purchased gold, but actual finds.

    I can tell you none of my trips are a waste of time. Even when I come home empty handed.

    A day on the water with the kids is priceless.
    They can spend hours chasing crawfish and frogs while dad chases his crazy gold.
    I can assure you I’m not looking to get into a pissing match with anyone. Just looking for people in my area that is like minded. Yes I bought a bag of paydirt but only so I can see real gold in my pan for the first time so I know exactly what I am looking for, and how it moves in my pan.
    I may plan on taking trips to look elsewhere myself, but I would never down someone on what they believe in.
    My kids run around here pretending to find gold and that’s amazing to see. I know they will grow up with this passion as well. If I can put just one pice in front of them I know they will all be hooked.
    I wish I could buy a claim and start a family run business working side by side with my kids when they grow up and leave them with something to remember me by. I’ll start that off with 1 bag of paydirt.
    No gold in NY and brianc053 like this.

  7. #37
    ca
    Oct 2008
    Ontario
    Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
    121
    60 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My friend gold prospects in WNY with his 84 year old friend who has energy of a 25 year old. Actuallt finds the yellow stuff. PM me if you want to contact him.
    Butcher78 likes this.
    Nokta/Makro Impact, Kruzer, Anfibio, now the Simplex, Blisstool V5

    Check out my Treasure Hunting website
    http://www.treasurelinx.com

  8. #38
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    41,183
    37246 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Please post by our rules, no insults and that includes calling a member a troll.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!


    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!


    I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365


    (Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

  9. #39
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    17,920
    9778 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    yeah what Treasure hunter says, I am in Tn and carry a gold pan with me on every adventure always in my truck..
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

    All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

  10. #40
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Have a Happy Memorial Day everyone!

  11. #41
    us
    Commercial Diving Company Owner

    Feb 2005
    Eastern PA
    Garrett At Pro, MX500 Proton Mag fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
    252
    198 times
    Prospecting
    anyone prospect around rochester area? my wife has a bowling tournament there in 2 weeks and was wondering if i should pack some gear or even my Cube?
    Butcher78 likes this.

  12. #42
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    He everyone. Just a little update. I got my bag of paydirt and feel as if I was completely ripped off, but I did find 14 tiny pieces of gold. I can’t weight it lol but I now know what i am looking for in my pan. This pic shows the first bit of what I found.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C251ECF1-F5FF-4AC6-8253-EBD5728F0562.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	1717449

  13. #43
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Hey everyone, summer break is right around the corner. Does anyone have any trips planned out? I can’t weight to get out on the Creek with my family and do some prospecting. I might at some point make an investment in a metal detector and see how that works out.

  14. #44
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    629
    1649 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher78 View Post
    Hey everyone, summer break is right around the corner. Does anyone have any trips planned out? I can’t weight to get out on the Creek with my family and do some prospecting. I might at some point make an investment in a metal detector and see how that works out.
    Butcher, as a guy who dove into prospecting head-first I can offer this advice: don't buy every gizmo thinking it will get you more gold, especially where you live (Western NY State). There are probably some cool things to find with a metal detector - but raw gold is probably not one of those "things". If you buy a metal detector, do it for finding coins, relics, jewelry, etc.

    If you want to see if there's gold in Western NY, your shovel, sluice and pan will be enough to start. Classifiers help too, because you're going to want to separate the dirt into +20 mesh / 20-50 mesh / -50 mesh categories. And you will probably only find -50 mesh stuff where you are, which is great. If you can pan that, you can find better gold other places.

    Regarding metal detectors: I have a White's MXT Pro, which has a gold mode, so I took it on a trip to Gold Basin, Arizona. I detected for a day...and only found bullets, no gold.
    More recently I upgraded to a Minelab Equinox 800. Great machine, with a gold mode, so I took it to Contrary Creek, VA last weekend. I detected for about 2 hours...and only found a bullet.
    Even in known gold areas - Arizona, Virginia - it's unlikely that an untrained person (like me) will find gold.
    Just keep that in mind as you decide how to spend your $ and your time.
    - Brian
    No gold in NY and Butcher78 like this.

  15. #45
    us
    May 2019
    Springville, NY
    Royal Manufacturing 30in recirculating Sluice box. Bounty Hunter Landstar.
    27
    33 times
    Prospecting
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Butcher, as a guy who dove into prospecting head-first I can offer this advice: don't buy every gizmo thinking it will get you more gold, especially where you live (Western NY State). There are probably some cool things to find with a metal detector - but raw gold is probably not one of those "things". If you buy a metal detector, do it for finding coins, relics, jewelry, etc.

    If you want to see if there's gold in Western NY, your shovel, sluice and pan will be enough to start. Classifiers help too, because you're going to want to separate the dirt into +20 mesh / 20-50 mesh / -50 mesh categories. And you will probably only find -50 mesh stuff where you are, which is great. If you can pan that, you can find better gold other places.

    Regarding metal detectors: I have a White's MXT Pro, which has a gold mode, so I took it on a trip to Gold Basin, Arizona. I detected for a day...and only found bullets, no gold.
    More recently I upgraded to a Minelab Equinox 800. Great machine, with a gold mode, so I took it to Contrary Creek, VA last weekend. I detected for about 2 hours...and only found a bullet.
    Even in known gold areas - Arizona, Virginia - it's unlikely that an untrained person (like me) will find gold.
    Just keep that in mind as you decide how to spend your $ and your time.
    - Brian
    Brian, Thank you for the. Tips. I wanted to say I did originally buy a 1/4 in classifier. Sadly I have not gotten down the mesh sizes yet. Lol. I do however own a med sized kitchen strainer that can classify even smaller. I have come to realize that if I am to find any gold I will have to get a lot better at panning. So I invested in a smaller 10 inch pan and I am making my own plans to build my own Miller table. I will upload a photo of the kitchen strainer. I think it’s meant to strain oil or flower. I to a picture of it against a quarter for size comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D5D67EC-5150-4791-BC27-D20B0AE843F5.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	1717985
    As for metal detecting and metal detectors, I haven’t decided on what one I’d like to buy. I know I’d like to have one with a gold setting but am fairly certain I won’t be able to detect any gold around here. Just seems like another interesting hobby I can pick up when I can’t go panning. Or maybe both. Who knows. Lol.
    brianc053 likes this.

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Western New York question
    By nuclearwhiskey in forum Hard Rock Mining
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 22, 2014, 02:29 AM
  2. Is there gold in western new york?
    By lackin199 in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 01, 2012, 01:13 PM
  3. western new york
    By nyshooter in forum Clubs & Hunts - New York
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2008, 09:45 AM
  4. western new york state ?
    By xpepsix in forum TNet Member Hunts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2007, 08:59 PM
  5. any one know of any western new york sites?
    By tammahawk in forum Treasure Leads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0