Where to find gold in this Creek (Group participation)

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to find Gold in the Creek?
Answers can be found online, No cheating.
This here is a group exercise, If you click on the pic you can see my labels, please pick a,b,c,d, etc... and why it's found there, unfortunately there are no large boulders.
Location is just south of Dahlonega, GA
850 of creek frontage on my 5 acres, fed from other mountain creeks and streams.

Someone can post a desert or mountain pic to keep this going.
Thanks Bob M

Gold in stream.jpg

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a small area,hit it ALL

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont understand the question, because for one I dont know what it looks like at flood stage,
and it looks like a flatlander stream or flat farm land meandering stream.
I have mined streams like that on the coast usually the gold concentrates where it is pushed to,
one side of the stream or the other, I'd say the gold is dispersed everywhere so mine it all.
here is a photo of what the streams I mine on look like;
2018_0412_140445_025.JPG

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the first areas I'd try, but I'm not much of a 49er so I while what others have said, it's not a big area, hit it all.

20190519_145218.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between D and F as under flood conditions gold will drop there.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see that creek ever having enough flow to move gold even at flood stage. Go back upstream several hundred feet in elevation and see what you find. Winners58 nailed it. Just a flat land farm creek. No gold here fellas, keep moving :laughing7:

OP
OP
BobM

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the participation, it was meant to be conversation on a Sunday afternoon.
Heavy pans.
Bob M

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like this exercise...

I’d start at the gravel bar, front and center of the photo. Looks like a hairpin turn where the turns upstream and downstream look like 90s, and so my inexperienced mind would guess that the inside bend of the hairpin is where most gold would drop out.

Also, yes, I’d like to see what it looks like at flood stage

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there's gold in the pan and it's legal to dredge or high bank then run everything from the far tree line to the bottom of the picture. straighten out out the entire oxbow :hello:

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont understand the question, because for one I dont know what it looks like at flood stage,
and it looks like a flatlander stream or flat farm land meandering stream.
I have mined streams like that on the coast usually the gold concentrates where it is pushed to,
one side of the stream or the other, I'd say the gold is dispersed everywhere so mine it all.
here is a photo of what the streams I mine on look like;
View attachment 1713920

Y-NOT [emoji16]

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First, I'd start upstream of "A" as the stagnant pool will cause gold to drop from lack of current. So check the head end of that first. Along with that, if there were large rocks, I'd check the sand tails on the backside.

Then I'd hit "A" as it looks like a bedrock ledge. It will act as a riffle system. The head end might have large gold piled up in front of it. The fast water trough on the right side might also have some large gold.

I'd check "B" for it would act similar to the stagnant pool, but it will have some current so larger gold should be found there.

"C" is a no brainer! Gold will drop there due to less current.

"D" should have BIG gold that current couldn't drag very well.

"E" will have very fine gold, as it's mostly sand.

"F" will have larger gold that couldn't pile up higher on the bar.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like the creek barely flows enough to move fallen leaves.

i'd wager if there is gold its deeper and deposition has very little to do with that bend.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, let's see. A meandering meadow creek with no large stones visible. I say go upstream and look for steeper runs or bedrock outcrops.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like the creek barely flows enough to move fallen leaves.

i'd wager if there is gold its deeper and deposition has very little to do with that bend.

Plum Creek is about as slow as this, but in the spring it can be a raging torrent.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had lots of luck digging up gravel bars in creeks. Unlike rivers they're small enough to concentrate more gold in a small section, so just better to dig the whole gravel bar up.

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
East coast is different from west coast. Most of our gold bearing streams currently have very little drop and wide flood plains within the east coast Piedmont region. There very well could be good gold in the creek, but i would bet that the current course of the stream will have nothing to do with where the good gold is, sure the inside bend may have flour gold from recent floods, but not much else. The gold will be where the ancient stream deposited it, somewhere with in the flood plain area, when the climate was different and the oceans were much lower. Best bet is to prospect and find where the current stream bed crosses the ancient stream bed.

The far bank is about 15 feet of alluvial silt on an inside bend, the flood plain is about 100 yards wide.
20190525_174755.jpg

Im dredging the beginning of the outside bend center of creek to the outside bend. Loose sand and gravel is what makes up the inside part of the bend down to smooth scoured bedrock, orange hardpack makes up the outside part of the bend down to rough decomposed bedrock. The loose sand and gravel is recent deposition, the orange hardpack is ancient.
20190525_174744.jpg

Clean out from a single day of dredging the creek from center to start of outside bend, running predominantly the orange hardpack. One of my buddies was running the inside bend material and came out with just a small amount of fines.
20190525_184626.jpg

On the east coast dont think that the normal prospecting theories hold true, sample to find out where the gold is. Idk how many awesome gold deposits ive found that dive off under the banks of the creek and dont at all correspond with current creek bed.

Just my 2 cents.

Heavy Pans

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's holding flood/flour gold, start wherever you can see rocks poking out (fist-sized and larger on the surface, and the gold will drop with them, be in the top few to six inches, if there's enough current at flood stage to allow deposition that is).

Always sample any inside bend, any spot where the stream flow slows for any reason. Gold is lazy, and it loves to take the path of least resistance from point A to B (not the A or B on your labeled picture). If you can figure where your high water would run, try to draw a line where that lazy gold would get drug along by taking the shortest route from point to point.

That hairpin turn might throw things off a bit, as any real fast water would shoot the gold to the opposite bank (outside bend) as well. I've found nuggets (not fine gold) in conditions like that.

However, as others have said, since it's such a small stream, it should be fairly simple to sample almost every area to get an idea if and where any gold it being deposited in quantity.

Good luck, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread