Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A complete beginner here in the UK.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Jun 2019
    South Wales
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yes. The pans are hardened plastic. One other point to make is that the local gold area is about 20 miles of so from my house. I drive the local buses that go to a small village in the mountains which is just under 10 miles from the gold mine.

Whilst waiting my time I happened to notice a lot of quartz about the place, and looked up on hill and saw a screed slope with a lot of this white quartz rock about.

Is it worth having a go? Or not, as its miles from the mine. There's no water about, just this 'opened and loose' part of the hillside. Maybe a stream or river was there many thousands of years ago.

Is it worth taking a bucket to sample or not?

David.
    et1955 likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2896 times
    Prospecting
    It never hurts to check out a quartz deposit that is fairly near to a known location. However, prior generations have surely done the same and either found nothing or rejected it as low grade. Look for pieces with obvious mineralization such as pyrite or iron staining, etc. You can crush your sample and pan the fines to possibly find gold. Even though there is no water there may be drainages that cut through the deposit so sampling in one of them is probably what I would do. Don't forget to look for evidence of prior digging which includes unnatural piles of rocks, etc.

Good luck.
    OwenT, 63bkpkr and vasquez109 like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    807 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vasquez109 View Post
    Yes. The pans are hardened plastic. One other point to make is that the local gold area is about 20 miles of so from my house. I drive the local buses that go to a small village in the mountains which is just under 10 miles from the gold mine.

Whilst waiting my time I happened to notice a lot of quartz about the place, and looked up on hill and saw a screed slope with a lot of this white quartz rock about.

Is it worth having a go? Or not, as its miles from the mine. There's no water about, just this 'opened and loose' part of the hillside. Maybe a stream or river was there many thousands of years ago.

Is it worth taking a bucket to sample or not?

David.
    You live in an ancient country compared to the western US where we have the right to mine by our laws, do you have the same, check your laws about mining
    63bkpkr and vasquez109 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links