Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been collecting my -20 and +20 cons in buckets since last summer to re-run when I get time. Re-ran the +20 stuff through the piglet yesterday. Somehow I missed this little picker the first time through.
64301365_1400302743441530_8114985245708648448_n.jpg

Needless to say I was excited! Unfortunately I have no idea what location it came from. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smart move Gold4Mike. My son and I are doing the same thing with concentrates from two trips to Virginia.
I told this story in another thread but it bears repeating: after I had gone through all the concentrates, separated into +8/+20/+50/below 50 and panned into a black tub, my son came over to the tub and said "let's see what dad missed" and scooped some dirt into a pan. He proceeded to find the small flake that is in this picture below the dime by itself. He also found a couple of very small flour gold pieces in his one pan.

I then agreed that we should go back through the concentrates. Always a good plan.

fVCsuuk.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The biggest flake in the middle I found after running my +20 yet again yesterday! The rest of this came from re-running my -20 from the past year. I added another .04 gram to the vial! :laughing7:
View attachment IMG_4213.jpg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike
If the 'picker' in your OP was missed (by panning). It might be time to build/buy a Miller Table.I've been watching and posting to your threads from day one....And I still get good 'vibes' your in a great area for continued success . Now,get out there and Find some Big Nuggets

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now you know why I save all my concentrates, I have a 5 gal bucket full of black sand and fine gold that I collected over the years, I use it to test any new mining equipment I build.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike
If the 'picker' in your OP was missed (by panning). It might be time to build/buy a Miller Table.I've been watching and posting to your threads from day one....And I still get good 'vibes' your in a great area for continued success . Now,get out there and Find some Big Nuggets

I do have a miller table, it just wasn't moved from my winter area to my summer area so I just figured I would practice my panning, lol. Miller table is now set back up. Hopefully some bigger pickers are in the near future!

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you know why I save all my concentrates, I have a 5 gal bucket full of black sand and fine gold that I collected over the years, I use it to test any new mining equipment I build.

Would the black sand also be gold itself that isn't readily visible unless you amalgamate it with mercury?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most "black sand" in concentrates is usually an iron mineral. Gold is often found stained to a dark color. To my understanding gold needs a "bright" surface to facilitate amalgamation so the dark stained gold could(?) resist amalgamation.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most "black sand" in concentrates is usually an iron mineral. Gold is often found stained to a dark color. To my understanding gold needs a "bright" surface to facilitate amalgamation so the dark stained gold could(?) resist amalgamation.

Correct. Unless the gold particle is clean, the mercury can’t bond to it.

To determine if you have black coated gold, try crushing it. If gold, it will pancake out and show its color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread