Are these Garnets?

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Iā€™m a fairly new prospector working a local creek. Are these what they call garnets? Iā€™m finding them at the bottom of every pan. Under them I found a tiny piece of color šŸ˜ F7BC922E-7844-4BF2-A289-E9DD0F02B33E.jpeg 778A92CC-37F3-47E1-8C5D-33C801C5DE28.jpeg

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like garnet they come in a lot of colors.,The most rare are the pink ones :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the fact their on the 'bottom 'of a pan that also has gold is a good sign. Dig deeper AND/OR further upstream for Big Brothers ....good luck :)

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone. It's a small creek in RI. There's tons of quartz everywhere, much of it is has that stained, rusty color to it. However none of the rocks in the creek are much bigger than a baseball, all round/oval shaped. Banks are high, lots of erosion. I can't seem to find bedrock anywhere to try crevicing. The creek is layered all across the bottom with the rounded rocks, sand is tight packed between them, not easy digging at all! I've noticed after it rains the creek is much higher, and the sand on inside bends and such washes away quite a bit. I'm still trying to figure the creek out. All pieces are fly poop specs like shown above, but this is expected for RI. I'm finding at least one in most pans of finely classified material. Thank goodness for the snuffer! In any case, I'm gaining some great experience panning, as it's not easy separating flour gold from black sands at the end of the panning process. I recently got some paydirt in and found it easy as pie to pan after dealing with RI sands haha! I'm going to take some pictures of the creek next time I go for some advice. Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone. It's a small creek in RI. There's tons of quartz everywhere, much of it is has that stained, rusty color to it. However none of the rocks in the creek are much bigger than a baseball, all round/oval shaped. Banks are high, lots of erosion. I can't seem to find bedrock anywhere to try crevicing. The creek is layered all across the bottom with the rounded rocks, sand is tight packed between them, not easy digging at all! I've noticed after it rains the creek is much higher, and the sand on inside bends and such washes away quite a bit. I'm still trying to figure the creek out. All pieces are fly poop specs like shown above, but this is expected for RI. I'm finding at least one in most pans of finely classified material. Thank goodness for the snuffer! In any case, I'm gaining some great experience panning, as it's not easy separating flour gold from black sands at the end of the panning process. I recently got some paydirt in and found it easy as pie to pan after dealing with RI sands haha! I'm going to take some pictures of the creek next time I go for some advice. Jeff
vids attached

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, new to this site. Is the only way to get a video on here to upload it to YouTube?

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh ok thanks. I don't want to add my videos to YouTube. I'm going there tomorrow, I'll take some pics and add them no later than tomorrow night.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are they faceted, I find lots of garnets, looks like rose quartz's fragments to me, the color is not typical of the garnets I find. Nice find on the gold

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh ok I understand. I'm heading there in today, I'll bring some home and take some close-up shots, which I'll post. If in fact they are rare pink garnets, should I save them for any reason?

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garnets under microscope, and pics of creek they came from.... Garnets.jpeg Creek1.jpeg Creek2.jpeg Creek3.jpeg Creek4.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread