prospecting mountains engineering question

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I thought I would ask the questions I'm sure plenty of us ask ourselves in our travels. My question is how do you get samples from a steep hill without rappelling or is that the only safe way to do it. I was thinking a ladder or sections with mountain climbing anchors to secure them. I think I'm getting to old or senile to do this but thought I'd ask.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use a skyhook.

Assuming you found gold on the steep hill you would need two skyhooks. One skyhook to lower you into place and a second skyhook to lower the steam buckets.

Miners have been solving these problems for centuries. Where there is a will there is a way. :thumbsup:

Hope you are enjoying your fourth Jim. :occasion14:

Heavy Pans

G

ghostminer

You are going to need a mountain side angle kit. These can be purchased at Mountainside Supply in Fever Valley Mexico. When you open the kit, remove the side bar which attaches to the angle finder. You may need it later. If the hill is steeper than 45 degrees use the steep mountain step kit. This mounts on the side mountain stabilizer bar. Pull it forward & up into place on the hill. Secure it with the stabilizer pins that are supplied in the separate package of parts marked Separate Parts. Once this is secured you may begin your sampling making sure not to step on the securing pins. If your angle is less than 45 degrees grasp the side bar & attach the angle finder. Use this to determine which set of links will fit in the side bar. Take the links & lock them into the side bar. This must be done with two hands to ensure they click into place securely. You will use this to place against the hill for sampling. It is important to wear a good set of mountain boots when working with this equipment. Hope that helps & best of luck to you.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A quick search for skyhook doesn't turn up anything mechanical. I've heard them mentioned before on the forum but what is it? Have a pic? Some sort of winch I imagine.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sky hook, steam buckets? I think he's refering to an old joke. I could be wrong.....

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i saw a mine about half way down a 1000foot cliff.wth cables going down,i always wondered how they picked that spot

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skyhooks in mining are similar to "Deck Remover" on board a ship in the Navy. Often "newbies" would also be sent to the bow of the ship as we pulled up to the "mail buoys".

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread