how much raw gold equals "A Treasure" ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
an idle question prompted by another thread on treasure hunting
when using the word "treasure" I am generally thinking of something man-made,
however those of us here prospect or mine as a principal activity -

so it occured to me to ask: How much raw gold is 'needed' to qualify as a "treasure" ?
- found at one site at one time (season?)

a couple of pounds?
20 kilos ?
what ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
stc, for me at least what is spent in time or money is never significant unless i run out;
I never calculate anything before or after the fact, I am doing what I wish to be doing

it really is simply . . . how much weight before being called a 'treasure' ?

as is clear from the responses, there is a huge range between individuals due to many factors
experience, location, committment
there is no 'right' answer; me ? I'd be good with a 20 kg 'treasure'

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some really cool stuff, one of my favorite things was a tiny 1/2" piece of Pa jasper, a flake. That was a true treasure to me. Will I ever find the real big $$$ item(s), I doubt it. But I dig for fun anyway so don't really care about dollar value. I've given away a lot of stuff I've found, but rarely sell any.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure is a collection or horde of valuable materials, gems, money, precious metals and what ever we humans consider valuable. It's not a treasure if you have to mine it but it is if you find a box full of gold bars or a chest full of gems or doubloons.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure, the first gold nugget I found was real treasure to me, in the early 70s I hiked into this area that had been mined in the 20s and 30s. Wasn't a rich placer but there was some gold there.. I had carried a small entrenching tool and a pan, found a small area of bedrock with a patch of sand over it I took a cut across the sand and in the small bank out dropped this nice little football shaped nugget. Talk about excitement, if anyone had been around they would have said that guys crazy... Anyway I tore the H.....l outa that spot, found a few more colors and that was it.. I had that piece made into a pendant and my mate wore it for years until she passed away... That was a Treasure...... I will say a friend and myself mined that area a little but found not much gold.. The old timers had made that decision also. That's how you learn and gain experience, by just doing it...

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure, the first gold nugget I found was real treasure to me, in the early 70s I hiked into this area that had been mined in the 20s and 30s. Wasn't a rich placer but there was some gold there.. I had carried a small entrenching tool and a pan, found a small area of bedrock with a patch of sand over it I took a cut across the sand and in the small bank out dropped this nice little football shaped nugget. Talk about excitement, if anyone had been around they would have said that guys crazy... Anyway I tore the H.....l outa that spot, found a few more colors and that was it.. I had that piece made into a pendant and my mate wore it for years until she passed away... That was a Treasure...... I will say a friend and myself mined that area a little but found not much gold.. The old timers had made that decision also. That's how you learn and gain experience, by just doing it...

Sorry to hear about your mate. I hope they went peacefully.

We found a few colors and followed the trail. And it led to the Mother Lode. Same way it has always been done by the small guy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread