Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Outside Bends

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2017
    122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Outside Bends

Hello everyone!
    I wanted to start a conversation about outside bends and situations where there would be gold found in them. Aside from the river shifting over time.. What situations have you all encountered where there was good gold on an outside bend? By that, I mean... What conditions were present in the river or creek? I have read of situations where the river hits a bedrock face causing a very sharp bend and due to the rolling effect of the water hitting the bedrock would deposit gold on the inside bend just past the bedrock. Attached is an example (River is flowing from the right to left of the picture). We found a ton of flood gold where the yellow dots are and suspect there to be some chunky stuff where the red arrows point but have yet to test the area.

Please take a moment to share your experiences here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	599.5 KB 
ID:	1731091  
    Last edited by oidium45; Jul 09, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
    BillA and JeffA like this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    815 times
    out of curiosity, what was the vertical distribution of the flood gold ?

Mar 2017
    122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    out of curiosity, what was the vertical distribution of the flood gold ?
    It went down to roughly 1ft at its deepest point where a thin red clay layer was hit. The area had good flooding with very fast moving water recently.
    BillA likes this.

Mar 2017
    122 times
    I found this image on Gold Fever Prospecting's website. It is one example of what I was talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66744074_332373231051382_5755903518405820416_n.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	1731235
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10536 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by oidium45 View Post
    I found this image on Gold Fever Prospecting's website. It is one example of what I was talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66744074_332373231051382_5755903518405820416_n.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	1731235
    This is a very cool drawing. Any idea what the original source of it is?

Mar 2017
    122 times
    I am not sure but here is where I found the photo. https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/figoinri.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10184 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    This is a very cool drawing. Any idea what the original source of it is?
    According to the website:
    Excerpted from "Let's get Physical", by James C. McNeill (copyright © 1995)
    It always surprises me when people publish copyrighted work even though it's clearly stated on what they copy. It's kind of like stealing your neighbor's monogram necklace and then wearing it to their party. Stupidity or arrogance? I'm not even gonna guess.

I've always made it a point to enforce my copyrights. Triple damages is a good incentive!

Heavy Pans
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Mar 2017
    122 times
    I didn't even see that hiding at the bottom. Worth looking into further!

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    815 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    According to the website:

It always surprises me when people publish copyrighted work even though it's clearly stated on what they copy. It's kind of like stealing your neighbor's monogram necklace and then wearing it to their party. Stupidity or arrogance? I'm not even gonna guess.

I've always made it a point to enforce my copyrights. Triple damages is a good incentive!

Heavy Pans
    CD, you seem to know so I will ask: what are the limits of the 'fair use' exemption ?
    the 'quoter' did attribute, how much did he copy ? (I've not looked.)

you will not get triple damages if the quote is within 'fair use' (a defined ferm)

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    815 times
    ok, looked at the site; obviously "fair use".
    Clay Diggins, please get up to speed on 'fair use', I will help

from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ial-30100.html

Under the "fair use" defense, another author may make limited use of the original author's work without asking permission. Pursuant to 17 U.S. Code § 107, certain uses of copyrighted material "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."
    As a matter of policy, fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights. If you write or publish, you need a basic understanding of what does and does not constitute fair use.

and

• Nonprofit educational uses: When teachers photocopy limited portions of written works for classroom use, this is normally acceptable. An English teacher would be permitted to copy a few pages of a book to show to the class as part of a lesson plan. (Note that she would not be permitted to photocopy the entire book).

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10184 times
    Prospecting
    That's funny Bill. Besides holding thousands of copyrights I was involved in writing the laws on Copyright. Publishing a copyrighted article on a commercial website without modification is not a "fair use" by any standard.

Read more from Richard Stim the author of the NOLO article you cherry picked from:
    In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work.
    Heavy Pans
    et1955 and KevinInColorado like this.

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    815 times
    CD obviously you know more than I (more experienced, etc), feel free to correct me

my reading would indicate to me that 1) attribution was made, 2) the quote was limited, and 3) the use was not for profit (informative)
    my "cherry picking" was simply quoting those pierces that seemed relevant
    you seem to be suggesting that RS did not intend that which I understood, feel free to show how fair use does not apply

your quote is selective and incomplete; 5 typical uses were listed in the reference I gave, of which you listed only 3
    Last edited by BillA; Jul 12, 2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: deleted snarky comment

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10184 times
    Prospecting
    Please read the link provided Bill. It will help you understand just what Rich was writing in his Nola articles. Richard's a smart guy with a lot of experience in copyright law. Pay particular attention to his emphasis on how the use must be "transformative". I'm sure you will see his, and my, point about unfair use.

Heavy Pans

May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    815 times
    I read it, and my opinion re the quoted part of the book on the website is the same: fair use

(CD, was an engr for 30 yrs whose work product was written; the last 10 yrs as an expert for attys, I am familiar with fair use at the working level. I'm pretty sure that if the author were to complain the quoted excerpt would be taken down, but why would he do so? The publicity from that page with 2 attributions will result in additional sales of the author's book (and why the author would never win any damages - IMO).

OP, sorry for the digression

Mar 2017
    122 times
    Any thoughts on the previous subject?
    mytimetoshine likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links